Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wax then Sealant vs Sealant then Wax

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-16, 05:43 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Wax then Sealant vs Sealant then Wax

Curious which is better to do and why?

This is what I just did:

1. Griots Carnauba wax (let cure for a few hours)
2. Chemical Guys Blitz Acrylic Spray Sealant. Apply, let haze then buffed off.

Personally, I think it looks great, although my friend is telling me that I did it backwards, lol. Another thing, that Acrylic spray is pretty awesome. My friend suggested the A7 gloss enhancer, but I ordered the Acrylic instead (for no other reason than to try something different). All I have to say is that stuff is wicked good. After applying it to one panel, it felt so slick and buttery-smooth and really provided an extra layer of gloss. I applied to to my plastic len's covers, front and rear and it worked great. I even did my windows with it and talk about slick.

So, just curious but what are the benefits of doing one first over the other and did I do it backwards?

Old 01-16-16, 05:48 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Typically you apply a sealant (like blackfire wet diamond or power lock) before a wax as you want the more durable base layer.... But a spray sealant can be an exception to the rule as most do not last that long. Either way your car is protected, so no big deal

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 01-16-16 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-16-16, 05:52 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Cool thanks.

So he was right! I guess next time I'll try it in reverse and use a liquid sealant.
Old 01-16-16, 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yeah you want to use the sealant underneath so it can bond with the paint, then use a carnauba on top if you'd like to.

The only issue is durability.

It looks great!
Old 01-16-16, 02:51 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, I'm definitely going to lay down sealant first.

Figure I'll wash it, clay it, sealant, wax it then spray sealant it lol with that Blitz stuff. Amazing stuff.
Old 01-16-16, 03:12 PM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Typically you apply a sealant (like blackfire wet diamond or power lock) before a wax as you want the more durable base layer.... But a spray sealant can be an exception to the rule as most do not last that long. Either way your car is protected, so no big deal
2nd this. and want to add - more and more sealants are giving you the look and durability these days that a layer or wax may not be necessary.
Old 01-17-16, 05:26 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by detailersdomain
2nd this. and want to add - more and more sealants are giving you the look and durability these days that a layer or wax may not be necessary.
Yeah, I actually thought about skipping the wax stage and replacing it with more sealant, but I've always been a traditionalist and used carnuaba wax with great results in the past. In fact my previous car, which I owned for a decade, was just covered in nothing but carnuaba wax with a coat of spray-on wax in between waxings and it looked new the day I traded it in.

But frankly, I always thought that carnuaba wax produced the best gloss and depth (and one of the reasons why I use to use nothing but that), but after seeing the sealant, I honestly can't tell the difference and dare I say that sealant I used made the depth look even better.
Old 01-20-16, 04:29 AM
herefore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figure I'll wash it, clay it, sealant, wax it then spray sealant it lol with that Blitz stuff.
Old 01-20-16, 05:03 AM
weirdone
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sealant for me always goes before wax.
Old 01-20-16, 06:41 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

sealant/wax... sealant/no wax
Old 01-20-16, 10:03 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I have always done sealant then wax. Never really heard of anyone doing wax then sealant and I would not even think that would work. Just about all waxes don't have much durability so if a sealant somehow properly bonded on top a wax coating(which sounds mostly impossible) then it would only last as long as the wax which is not very long. I think adding a sealant on top of a wax coating could even ruin the wax protect/shine and could take much of the wax off leaving the finish even more unprotected then if you just added a wax or sealant.

A sealant in most cases forms a more durable bond and offers more protection. Wax on top of a sealant likely won't properly bond to the sealant like it would on paint/clearcoat but it would probably sit on top for a little while and may even stay around after a few washes.

I remember adding Poorboys Natty's paste wax over my car that had a Klass AIO Sealant, it looked really nice with a nice warm wet shine, really noticed it as the sun was going down but after the first wash it lost pretty much all that warm wet look. I just don't think the wax bonded properly over the sealant but it did sit on top of it for a few days and looked really nice until I washed it. After that I figured it was a waste of wax and time to apply it over a sealant if it was not going to last but a few days or until the car was going to get washed.
Old 01-21-16, 06:32 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Just a bit of advice with the blitz: Shake well before each spray.

I never really noticed when I first got the bottle as it was full, but I just pulled the bottle from my cabinet to spray on my glass shower door (figured it worked well on my car window, why not my shower glass door) and it definitely separated. The hard acrylic or whatever it is settles but quickly mixes.

Shake often.

By the way, this stuff works on my glass shower doors lol. Think I'll wax them too now that I think about it. Never really thought about applying car-care products on my house interior, but hey, why not.
Old 01-22-16, 04:21 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rule I would normally follow is that the more durable product goes underneath, and the sacrificial (presumably better appearing) product goes on top. The confusion here is that the spray sealant you used might be considered to be the better looking, sacrificial product of the two you used, so even though it is called a "sealant", it belongs on top. CG describes it as being able to top waxes and sealants.

Normally the sealant is the longer lasting product and goes underneath. Conventional sealants might not bond very well to a waxed surface too, so that is another consideration.
Old 01-22-16, 08:39 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

coating... no sealant or wax needed afterward.
Old 02-09-16, 10:39 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
By the way, this stuff works on my glass shower doors lol. Think I'll wax them too now that I think about it. Never really thought about applying car-care products on my house interior, but hey, why not.
that is a damn good idea... i have hard water with so many stains and deposits, so i think it may benefit from a sealing...

Quick Reply: Wax then Sealant vs Sealant then Wax