Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Polisher pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 11:44 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Polisher pads

I've been using a random orbit polisher for several years, and have accumulated lots of pads (mostly Lake Country). I was recently given a DeWalt rotary polisher that I would like to try out, and was wondering if I need to get different pads, or if I can use the same pads I have for the RO.

I know that rotaries are more aggressive, and I need to worry about heat build up because my dad used to warn me about "burning the paint". He used wool pads, but that was WAY before foam pads were even thought about. I'm guessing wool would generate even more heat than foam, and I seem to remember that wool is a lot more aggressive. I'm guessing the foam would be a bit easier to learn with, but I would like to hear from others that use both, how best to learn. Also about anything else I need to worry about. I really don't wanna ruin my paint while figuring it out.

Any advice?
Old 01-15-16, 12:11 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

You can certainly use the same foam pads on your rotary.

Wool is traditionally used for heavy cutting on a rotary machine, and foam can be used for lighter cutting and finer finishing.... same as with a DA.

-Zach