Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Waterless wash & wax ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-15, 11:30 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Waterless wash & wax ?

Anyone used this one before? Reviews/Comments please?
Attached Thumbnails Waterless wash & wax ?-img_20151213_154947.jpg  
Old 12-15-15, 03:09 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I would suggest not.

These water-less products have been out for years. I am a firm believer is washing a vehicle gently to remove road dirt which contains abrasives prior to waxing. You will be abrading your finish with this product.
Old 12-15-15, 05:17 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Rinseless and waterless washing can be safe when used within the appropriate limits.

The product the OP is referring to is a waterless wash, meaning no additional water is needed... no buckets, no hoses, no more water. The idea is to liberally spray the paint with the product, then wipe the surface with a high quality microfiber towel to remove surface dirt. In theory, the waterless wash will attract the dirt and provide lubrication so the paint is not harmed, however in my experiences this is only achieved when either 1) you use so much product that you might as well have just sprayed the car down or 2) there is only a very, very light layer of dust on the car and you still need to use plenty of product for lubrication.

Most people simply attempt to use these waterless wash products when the vehicle is just too dirty, and therefore scratch the paint. Likewise, there are plenty of people who simply use a quick detailer in between major washes... this is a similarly dangerous scenario.

I have found the quickest and safest way to wash a vehicle without having to drag out several buckets, hoses, etc is rinseless washing with Optimum No Rinse (or similar). Rinseless washing utilizes a bucket with some rinseless wash solution, but no need for a hose or running water to rinse the vehicle after washing. Simply use a high quality towel or wash mitt to wash a section, then immediately dry it. Note: if the vehicle is particularly dirty, you should either visit a coin-op pressure wash or drive through a touchless wash to remove the majority of the dir, then finish with a rinseless wash to make the car pristine.

I plan on going over this in detail next year in a series of videos.

-Zach
Old 12-15-15, 07:30 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I go to the pressure wash about a mile from my house. I drive it home and then I fill a bucket with soft water and wipe it down with a wash mitt. Next I use micro fiber towels and dry it off using as light pressure as possible. This method works for me on my 14 RX Stargazer black paint. I use a separate rag for door jambs & wheels. If you look closely at your paint after using a pressure washer you can still see a light film of dirt on the surface. I like to use this method since I don't have soft water going to the outdoor faucets.

And to think years ago I thought a genuine chamois was the only way to dry a car. Not anymore since microfiber came out. I think a real chamois causes too much friction on the paint.
Old 12-15-15, 09:38 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
I go to the pressure wash about a mile from my house. I drive it home and then I fill a bucket with soft water and wipe it down with a wash mitt. Next I use micro fiber towels and dry it off using as light pressure as possible. This method works for me on my 14 RX Stargazer black paint. I use a separate rag for door jambs & wheels. If you look closely at your paint after using a pressure washer you can still see a light film of dirt on the surface. I like to use this method since I don't have soft water going to the outdoor faucets.

And to think years ago I thought a genuine chamois was the only way to dry a car. Not anymore since microfiber came out. I think a real chamois causes too much friction on the paint.
You would benefit greatly by adding some ONR to your process. Optimum No Rinse will aid in safely cleaning your vehicle much better than just plain water. ONR contains additional polymers for lubrication as well as cleaning agents to help attract the dirt. It's very cheap, and cost effective, no point in not using it in my opinion .

Winter Washing with Optimum No Rinse (ONR) by Ivan Rajic
Old 12-15-15, 10:00 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 for ONR
Old 12-15-15, 01:51 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used ONR for the first time last weekend on my moderately dirty Tacoma. The stuff is amazingly slick...and like Zach stated, the dirt is caught by the washmit rather than the suds as with standard shampoos. From what I could tell, it did not create any additional marring on my clear coat. With that said, I watched a few Youtube videos to get some tips. All in all, it's some amazing stuff and certainly saves your hands from exposure while using cold water during the Fall/Winter months.
Old 12-16-15, 10:44 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ONR is amazing stuff, I've been a fan of it since I first tried it in 2009.