Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Help removing oil from carpet??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 05:17 PM
ratmstr808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help removing oil from carpet??

I bought motor oil to do maintenance on my car this weekend and when I got home I noticed one of the 1qt bottles had opened and completely spilled in my trunk.

So for the last hour I've been trying to get the oil off of the carpet with dish soap, brake cleaner, laundry detergent, etc.
The carpet is still oily to the touch and when the carpet is wet you can see the rainbow effect from the oil

Is there anything else I can do or use to remove the oil from the carpet???
Old 12-02-15, 05:27 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Quick google search provides these methods... CLICK HERE

How to Remove Motor Oil Stains from Carpet - Method # 2
Another type of oil stain that your carpets can fall victim to consists of motor oil. It’s easy to track motor oil back from the garage and right onto your carpet. When this happens, you’ll want to know how to remove oil stains from carpet rather quickly.
Scrape off excess oil with a butter knife. Don’t press too hard, as you don’t want to damage any of the carpet fibers.
Sprinkle a bit of baking soda directly onto the motor oil stain. You can also use corn starch if baking soda isn’t available.
Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
Vacuum the carpet.
Apply a few drops of dry-cleaning solvent on a clean cloth, and then apply the cloth directly to the motor oil stain. This is a good way to tell if it’s working when you’re wondering how to remove oil stains from carpet.
Blot the stain with a clean cloth. If the oil stain is still visible, mix two cups of warm water with one tablespoon of white vinegar and one tablespoon of liquid hand dishwashing detergent.
Apply this solution onto a sponge, and work the solution into any remaining oil stain residue.
Rinse the area with cold water and let dry. The motor oil stain should no longer be visible.
Old 12-02-15, 05:59 PM
z2g2gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Simple Green, rinse, and wet vacuum.