Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-15, 10:46 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

So will a professional ever mess something up on your car doing this? I really don't trust others around my cars.
Its really scary when you see job ads for detailers in professional detail shops saying "No experience necessary", so you could be expecting a
top notch quality detail, and have some kid after school learning how to cut and buff on your pride and joy. But I guess if he leaves a few tenths of thousandth's of an inch on your new car of clear coat it will still shine until the next "professional detail" removes that.

Last edited by dicer; 11-28-15 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-29-15, 05:19 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
So will a professional ever mess something up on your car doing this? I really don't trust others around my cars.
Its really scary when you see job ads for detailers in professional detail shops saying "No experience necessary", so you could be expecting a
top notch quality detail, and have some kid after school learning how to cut and buff on your pride and joy. But I guess if he leaves a few tenths of thousandth's of an inch on your new car of clear coat it will still shine until the next "professional detail" removes that.
You get what you pay for. Those $99 details are merely wash, dry and wax jobs by said teenagers. Go to a high end detail shops that are authorized to put on these coatings, and a detail job will run +$400. I felt pretty confident when I dropped my car off, and there was a Viper, lambo, and 911 on the garage getting work done.
Old 11-29-15, 07:24 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

When I dropped my car off there was a brand-new Ferrari ship there straight from the dealer sitting ready to get a coding. Automobilia has done everything from Lambos to Corvettes Mercedes BMW and everything in between. There were no trust issues with this place
Old 11-30-15, 05:33 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Do your due diligence and find a reputable shop that has plenty of examples of their work available online as well as customer reviews to read.

In general, you get what you pay for with high end detailing, so don't think the guy charging $199 is actually doing the same work as the guy charging $1099.

If you would like me to recommend a reputable detailer in your area, I would be happy to try to help

-Zach
Old 12-07-15, 08:53 PM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with Opti-Coat 2.0 on my E60 BMW and did the prep work and application myself. If you have the time, patience, and skills, the prep work is very DIY, but if you can afford to pay someone else to do it - why not?!

I ended up applying it to 2 older, lower-end cars I bought to "flip" (2001 Audi TTQ Roadster & '97 328ic) and both new owners couldn't get over how incredible the exteriors looked.

I'm doing a little research because Opti-Coat 2.0 has been replaced by opti-gloss and its not as permanent. I still have a LOT more research to do and I'm glad to see the market has new things to offer.
Old 12-09-15, 08:38 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp1
I had ceramic pro professionally applied by a car boutique in Connecticut and it's fantastic. Car always look shiny and clean it is so easy to keep clean
who makes Ceramic Pro? Did they apply two coats?
Old 12-10-15, 06:02 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Lexi66
who makes Ceramic Pro? Did they apply two coats?
Ceramic Pro is the company... I'm sure they utilize a 3rd party chemical company to actually manufacture the product, but I don't think that is what you were asking.

Depending on the product & warranty package selected by the customer, they can apply many coats.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 12-10-15 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-11-16, 01:41 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just bought a black 2014 GX460 Luxury with 26k miles and an average amount of swirls in the paint. I was quoted $2250 to do paint correction and Silver package of Ceramic Pro 9H. Is this a normal price?

ETA - also got a verbal ballpark quote for Cquartz Finest from another shop and he said around $2300.

Last edited by jpcdmd; 01-11-16 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-11-16, 03:21 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by jpcdmd
I just bought a black 2014 GX460 Luxury with 26k miles and an average amount of swirls in the paint. I was quoted $2250 to do paint correction and Silver package of Ceramic Pro 9H. Is this a normal price?

ETA - also got a verbal ballpark quote for Cquartz Finest from another shop and he said around $2300.
Pricing will vary depending on your location/market, exact services being performed, product used, etc... but that is a BIG vehicle, so it will be pricey if you want "the works".

Is this a multi-step correction process?

Also, based on your location, I assume you contacted Windows & Wheels Detailing regarding CQuartz Finest? If so, Wills and Daniella (owners) are 2 of the best in the country at what they do. I would highly recommend them!

-Zach
Old 01-11-16, 03:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I just purchased some CQUK for my new GS. I used OptiCoat 2.0 on my IS and loved it. I'm very excited to get the GS looking its best!
Old 01-11-16, 03:35 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by JDR76
I just purchased some CQUK for my new GS. I used OptiCoat 2.0 on my IS and loved it. I'm very excited to get the GS looking its best!
CQUK is a great product... application can be a little tricky, so take your time! Start on a small panel (like the trunk lid) where you can perfect your technique before moving on to a larger area. You may need to break large panels like the hood and roof up into sections.

-Zach
Old 01-11-16, 03:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
CQUK is a great product... application can be a little tricky, so take your time! Start on a small panel (like the trunk lid) where you can perfect your technique before moving on to a larger area. You may need to break large panels like the hood and roof up into sections.

-Zach
Thanks for the advice. I read your article on the application process which I am sure will be very helpful. I'm a little nervous about it but sure it'll be fine. One question, though. Did you have any recommendations on what to use to wipe it off? I assume just a good quality microfiber?
Old 01-11-16, 03:47 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Pricing will vary depending on your location/market, exact services being performed, product used, etc... but that is a BIG vehicle, so it will be pricey if you want "the works".

Is this a multi-step correction process?

Also, based on your location, I assume you contacted Windows & Wheels Detailing regarding CQuartz Finest? If so, Wills and Daniella (owners) are 2 of the best in the country at what they do. I would highly recommend them!

-Zach
Not sure how many steps they wanted to do for the correction. For the Cquartz quote, I called Distinct Detailing in Phoenix.
Old 01-11-16, 04:03 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Ah, Scott is a great guy... he's also great at what he does! You can't go wrong with either of them in that area. You're sort of spoiled
Old 01-11-16, 05:14 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcdmd

Seems about right.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating