Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 07:03 AM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating

Is it worth It?

I wax my car regularly but I have some swirls that drive me nuts!! I'm getting a professional paint correction done on my Black F to get rid of them and my detailer is suggesting doing a Ceramic coating after the paint correction any thoughts or suggestions on what ceramic coating to use ??

he mention using either gtechnique c1 or cquartz or opticoat 2.0
Old 11-24-15, 08:23 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I did OptiCoat 2.0 on my car, it has been replaced with OptiCoat Pro I believe.

Basically, you polish and the jewel the car the best you can. You then put the coating on it. If you don't remove the swirls under the coating, they will still be there.

The Coating allows things not to stick, and helps with any marring, etc. Any marring will happen in the coating and not the actual clear coat.

Also, when it comes time to polish the car again (which you will eventually need, due to washing techniques, things in the air while driving, etc) You will be polishing down the coating and not the clear coat on the car.

The coating does not stop paint chips, etc...
Old 11-24-15, 07:40 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM-V8FL
Is it worth It?

I wax my car regularly but I have some swirls that drive me nuts!! I'm getting a professional paint correction done on my Black F to get rid of them and my detailer is suggesting doing a Ceramic coating after the paint correction any thoughts or suggestions on what ceramic coating to use ??

he mention using either gtechnique c1 or cquartz or opticoat 2.0
I had ceramic pro professionally applied by a car boutique in Connecticut and it's fantastic. Car always look shiny and clean it is so easy to keep clean
Attached Thumbnails Ceramic Coating-image.jpeg  
Old 11-24-15, 07:43 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

I forgot to mention the one that I did has a five year warranty and it's been almost a year and it still is like the day I bought it. This picture was just after a wash no wax applied. The place that I went to call automobilia auto salon did 100% correction over the whole car before they applied ceramic pro
Attached Thumbnails Ceramic Coating-20150613_202830.jpg  
Old 11-24-15, 09:30 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hop over to the detailing section and they can definitely answer more of your questions.

I apply paint coating not too often but I have used Opti coat 2.0, Cquartz UK, and Opti gloss coat. Depending which one you choose to go with, the paint may feel slick and have less grime/dirt/dust stick to the car, resulting in easier cleaning. But it will not stop future swirls.

The swirls are often cause by improper wash techniques (from washing, drying, to applying wax). I would recommend just the paint correction and see if more swirls are created after a number of months.
Old 11-25-15, 10:14 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about doing this for my wheels. I love the solver on my pearl but damn do they get dirty so quick because of caliper dust. I heard this could possible help.

Any thoughts??
Old 11-25-15, 10:27 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I've heard great things about 22ple. Maybe I'll try that in the future. I did my own paint correction and used opticoat 2.0. So far no complaints.
Old 11-25-15, 06:40 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I thought this thread was about headers, only to learn that "jewel" is now also a verb.
Old 11-25-15, 07:00 PM
ping83
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

A good friend of mine helped to paint correct and coat my F a few months back after I brought her home! The results in the picture speak for itself! Well worth the investment in my opinion.
Old 11-25-15, 09:36 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Originally Posted by One2beH8ed
I thought about doing this for my wheels. I love the solver on my pearl but damn do they get dirty so quick because of caliper dust. I heard this could possible help.

Any thoughts??
Had my calipers painted house of kolor candy orange and the shop did my wheels and calipers with ceramic pro as well. Love it! Take quick detailer and wipe them down quick and easy
Old 11-26-15, 10:31 AM
JZRyan
Driver School Candidate

Another vouch here for ceramic coatings. Night and day with how easy the vehicle is to clean.
Old 11-27-15, 07:41 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Check out the stick in our Detailing Forum: Everything You Need to Know About Paint Coatings

In short, a ceramic coating will NOT prevent swirls, scratches, or marring... that is caused by improper washing and drying. In order to greatly minimize the amount of swirls introduced overtime, you must learn to properly wash & dry your vehicle.

How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car by Todd Cooperider

A ceramic coating will provide the most durable form of protection against environmental contamination, making it easier to clean and maintain your vehicle. Coatings will resist dirt and contaminates better than a traditional wax or sealant (I have done side by side comparisons), and provide a substantially thicker barrier between the surface of the coating and the surface of your paint. This makes it more difficult for harmful substances such as bird droppings and bug guts to penetrate the protective coating and damage your paint.

I discuss much of this in my article: The Benefits of a Paint Coating by Zach McGovern

I use paint coatings on all of my personal vehicles, and 99% of our customers opt for them as well. IMO it is the most effective way to protect your vehicle, make it easier to maintain, and keep it looking great for longer periods of time. If you don't enjoy waxing your car every 1-2 months, it is certainly a major time saver.

We worked on Matt's (ping83) IS-F earlier this year, and it turned out exceptionally well.... surely he will attest to the ease of maintaining his nicely coated vehicle.

Please let me know if you have any further questions... I monitor the forum regularly, but feel free to shoot me a PM as well if needed.

-Zach
Old 11-27-15, 09:21 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrisp1
I had ceramic pro professionally applied by a car boutique in Connecticut and it's fantastic. Car always look shiny and clean it is so easy to keep clean
Is your paint Obsidian Black?
Does the dust NOT adhere to the paint?
Does the paint still swirl?
How often do you typically wash it?
What brand coating did you get?
Thanks!
Old 11-28-15, 06:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Dust will definitely still cling to the paint, however dirt and dust attraction is far less than with traditional waxes or sealants. I have personally done many tests on my own vehicles in this area... I have coated 1/2 a panel and applied a sealant to the other 1/2 and observed it. After just a few days, it was very clear that the coating was considerably cleaner than the sealant.

I have also done this test comparing the dust repelling properties of other coatings. Not all coatings are created equally...

Yes, your paint is still susceptible to swirls and scratches. As I mentioned above, ceramic coatings will protect your paint from environmental contamination, but do not prevent swirls or scratches. The surface will cure to a hardness that is harder than your clear coat, so there is some minor resistance to light marring, however proper care is still absolutely critical.

How often do you typically wash it?
You should wash your vehicle every 1-2 weeks whether it is coated or not.

What brand coating did you get?
Ceramic coatings are the latest and greatest form of paint protection, and every manufacturer is getting on the bandwagon. With that, there are tons of options to choose from. Some of the more popular choices are the CQuartz Lineup and Opti-Coat, however there are many other fantastic options out there. It is much like asking "what is your favorite wax?"... you'll never get the same answer.

What Coating Should I Buy? by Zach McGovern

Thanks!
Answers above in Blue

-Zach
Old 11-28-15, 09:21 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Is your paint Obsidian Black?