Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

how to protect wheels from the ocean

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 05:59 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how to protect wheels from the ocean

so i live 5 feet from the ocean and every morning there is salt on my cars. we have a covered car port (under the house) but no actual closing garage. btw i live in japan (okinawa) so i can't just run down to the local pep boys or autozone. plus the salt here is somehow much more potent than the salt anywhere else i've lived.

my first set of wheels at this location were chrome, by mistake, and that won't happen again. since then i have just had aluminum and polished aluminum.

i just bought a new set of polished aluminum wheels,and unlike my last 2 sets that were already gently used so i didn't worry to much, these are almost new.

my question is what can i do to protect them? some say that polished aluminum is fine for the ocean and it is not like chrome. as much as i hope this is true i would still like to know if there is anything i can do to protect them.

one guy told me to put car wax on them. it sounds legit but i just wanted to check before i tried it, since back in 2007 i used tin foil and coke on a set of chrome rims per an internet suggestion and wish i would have double checked first on that one as well

thanks,
Old 12-15-15, 03:07 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Salt will corrode aluminum for sure. Wash and wax often is about all you can do. Being buy the ocean sounds great but will take it toll on most man made objects quickly if not given care.
Old 12-15-15, 05:23 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

You're in for a rough battle... salt will take its toll on both your vehicle's paint and your wheels. You need to wash and protect all surfaces as often as you can (recommend washing weekly!).

As far as protecting your wheels, I would highly recommend CarPro HydrO2. This is an inorganic spray sealant that requires no wiping for application or removal... and provides a much more chemical resistant barrier than a traditional wax will. It is an amazing product!

CarPro HydrO2: Seal Your Wheels in Less than 1 Minute by Zach McGovern

HydrO2 can also be used on your paint... and glass... and plastic... it is safe on all surfaces!

Check out all of the information in this thread: CarPro HydrO2... buy it!
CarPro HydrO2: Application Tips by Zach McGovern

If you don't want to use HydrO2 on your paint, I still highly recommend using it on your wheels.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any further questions.

-Zach