Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailer Questions? Ask me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-15, 02:56 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
I will never use a microfiber on paint, polyester will micro scratch it, its harder than paint.
Opti-coat, then I guess a person needs to become authorized.
So will those consumer based coatings last as long or out last opti coat?
All of this has previously been discussed in this forum... if you want more direction, and don't already have your mind made up, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Long story short, yes, all coatings will last an incredibly long time. Certain attributes such as water beading will diminish overtime with all coatings, however that does not at all indicate that the coating is no longer present.

If you wish to find an authorized Opti-Coat installer, visit their website.

As far as your microfiber comment, I won't even make an argument. Clearly your mind is already made up.

-Zach
Old 11-29-15, 03:11 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If you have the answers why are you asking? Microfiber is the industry standard, is the entire industry wrong? Quality microfiber will absolutely not scratch your paint.

Your thinking is about 20 years behind here. Doesn't surprise me.
Actually, I've read that one way that microfiber is less damaging is that it tends to hold dirt off the surface so that abrasive particles don't get trapped between the cloth and the painted surface, so they can't scratch the paint, unlike cotton towels.

I keep white terry cloth towels around for some interior cleaning, and the really grimy areas, like door jambs. But I stopped letting them touch my paint a couple decades ago, at least.
Old 11-29-15, 03:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by PondScum
Actually, I've read that one way that microfiber is less damaging is that it tends to hold dirt off the surface so that abrasive particles don't get trapped between the cloth and the painted surface, so they can't scratch the paint, unlike cotton towels.

I keep white terry cloth towels around for some interior cleaning, and the really grimy areas, like door jambs. But I stopped letting them touch my paint a couple decades ago, at least.
True on both counts
Old 11-29-15, 05:21 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
I will never use a microfiber on paint, polyester will micro scratch it, its harder than paint.
Opti-coat, then I guess a person needs to become authorized.
So will those consumer based coatings last as long or out last opti coat?
Will they OUTLAST opticoat? Why on Earth would you ask that?

If consumer coatings outlasted opticoat, who would ever buy opticoat?
Old 11-29-15, 07:58 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

FWIW, there is no way to actually tell how long any coating really lasts. You must simply trust the manufacturer's claims.

In the end, almost every vehicle will benefit from machine polishing every 1-3 years, and therefore will require a new coating application... so the durability beyond ~2 years is negligible in my opinion for someone who wants to keep their vehicles looking the absolute best.

-Zach
Old 11-29-15, 08:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Some of the cost of these coatings installed by professionals is bordering on insane. The people who did my clearer tried to sell me a coating, I forget which one, but they wanted nearly $1,500 for prep and install on a brand new swirl free car. I mean...modern paint if you wash it regularly and you do a light polish and LSP once or twice a year it will look awesome after 5 years. Even if you do nothing it can be cleaned up and brought back. Even as a hobbyist detailer who understands the technology at work and the effort that goes into it, I don't see the benefit there.
Old 11-30-15, 05:09 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Some of the cost of these coatings installed by professionals is bordering on insane. The people who did my clearer tried to sell me a coating, I forget which one, but they wanted nearly $1,500 for prep and install on a brand new swirl free car. I mean...modern paint if you wash it regularly and you do a light polish and LSP once or twice a year it will look awesome after 5 years. Even if you do nothing it can be cleaned up and brought back. Even as a hobbyist detailer who understands the technology at work and the effort that goes into it, I don't see the benefit there.
Surely you understand that skilled labor comes with an appropriate price tag. Even new cars can take a tremendous amount of time to clean, prep, polish, and coat when you get down to all of the tiny details that a high end detailing facility should. As an example, we do many new car preps each year that all include a coating, and we average about 18 hours of labor per brand new vehicle (some of them literally just came off of the delivery truck).

Think of it this way... You couldn't expect a plumber to spend 18 hours at your home, and the invoice to be just a couple hundred dollars. It would be well over a thousand dollars..... yet someone who is well versed in plumbing might think it is absurd to pay a plumber.

-Zach
Old 11-30-15, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Surely you understand that skilled labor comes with an appropriate price tag. Even new cars can take a tremendous amount of time to clean, prep, polish, and coat when you get down to all of the tiny details that a high end detailing facility should. As an example, we do many new car preps each year that all include a coating, and we average about 18 hours of labor per brand new vehicle (some of them literally just came off of the delivery truck).

Think of it this way... You couldn't expect a plumber to spend 18 hours at your home, and the invoice to be just a couple hundred dollars. It would be well over a thousand dollars..... yet someone who is well versed in plumbing might think it is absurd to pay a plumber.
I 100% understand and appreciate the skill, experience, and time that goes into it. My question is though, really in the end whats the value? I'm obsessive about my cars, they get cleaned up nightly between washes and washed the first sunny day after a period of rain. But, for me to spend $1,500 to prep and coat a brand new car, a car that I know to be as close to defect free as is possible because I detailed it after I bought it...a daily driven car that is going to see rain, highways, snow...thats a gap I just can't get there to have a professional only coating applied. Not when I know I'm going to detail it and seal it and all myself periodically down the line because thats just how I am.

I suppose what I struggle with is how someone can be so concerned with the details and the protective and cosmetic properties of a coating where they would spend that money...yet not be so obsessive that they want to do it themselves. Clearly those people are out there, because excellent detailers such as yourself have plenty of customers...

For the coating, even to purchase one and apply it myself I don't see the value. Again, if I'm that concerned about the look and protection of my paint, which I am, I'm going to be cleaning and protecting it all the time anyways so whats the benefit of the coating?
Old 11-30-15, 04:29 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

The benefit is superior protection, and ease of maintenance.

Believe it or not, you are the minority among vehicle owners in that you do take the time to regularly clean, polish, and protect your cars. For the majority, this is something that is seen as a chore and something that they would rather not do at all. One of the first things I ask potential customers during my consultation with them is "Do you enjoy cleaning and protecting your vehicle?". In the past 2 years, I have only had one person say yes.

For these people who do not have time to keep up with traditional sealants and waxes (myself included), a coating acts as a means of reducing the amount of time needed to keep a car looking stellar in between serious details, which I typically recommend having done every 2-3 years on a daily driver.

For you, and others like yourself, there may be no added value in a coating, as you pointed out, but there are plenty of us who do see tremendous value in a product that can provide durable, long lasting protection and requires less upkeep.

Certain customers might see it like this... in a perfect world, if a wax or sealant is applied, it would need to be reapplied say every 4 months to maintain great protection (yet still not nearly as chemical resistant or thick as a coating). Assume each service in which a sealant is applied costs a minimum of $150, and the first service includes a basic paint correction as well and we'll say that is $450. So, over the course of 2 years, this customer will visit their detailer for 1 in-depth correction detail, and 5 more routine "clean & protect" details for a total of $1200 for a 24 month time span.

Each appointment takes time, coordination, availability, etc... many people would rather just go through the motion every 2-3 years while washing their cars as needed in between major details.

It's just a choice for simplicity that appeals to many of us... is it the only choice? Certainly not.

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 11-30-15 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 06:23 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

There is no question that coatings are far superior to any wax/sealant product out there.

My current favorite is 22PLE VX3. I have been more impressed by that product than anything else I have tried so far. It's unfortunate that 22 has no "reputation" or "credibility" like OC or CQ.

What people need to understand is that it's the maintenance AFTER polishing/coating that's most important in not only prolonging the life of the coating, but also keeping the paint cleaner/less swirled.

Zach is correct, at this point in time, there is no way to truly test how long coatings last. If the beading/sheeting diminishes or disappears, alot of manufacturers say it's not a sign of failure, blahblahblah.

We do a TON of new car prep. I swear 9/10 cars will need a decent amount of work even if the car has 15 miles on it. I've only seen a few dozen cars that don't need full prep and usually those are hard clear manufactures in very forgiving colors (your metallic whites, silvers, and other lighter metallic colors). One bad wash at the dealership before delivery and that paint on your new black Lexus is totally F'd.
Old 11-30-15, 09:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe I just need to see more of these coatings for myself...
Old 12-07-15, 08:44 AM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I got a few questions.1.what do you use on glass clay or sealant? 2.can I use dP police at sealant on my headlights to protect it? 3.What is good to use on windshield to sheet off water.final question what do you use to wipe down interior from dust and on climate control. Thanks for all help and advice