Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailer Questions? Ask me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15, 07:01 PM
ComponY
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Detailer Questions? Ask me!

I've read through some threads, and figured I could make my own (in hopes to help other people out).

I've been a detailer for about 6 months, and am becoming an apprentice body tech soon. I'm 20, and have my skills pretty much down pact now.

What I can do for you:

1. Give advice on products to use for exterior and interior.
2. Give tutorials (or a service), on headlight repair, scratch removal.
3. I'm also pretty good at nib removal (when dust gets in the clear coat while painting and the clear pops out). As well as paint runs. I can give advice on which grit of sandpaper to use, what tools to use, and how to do it.

So go ahead, and ask away!
Old 11-09-15, 09:26 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

As soon as it gets warmer in NY I would like to this and am going to be using Chemical Guys Citrus all clean apc and a brush to agitate it. But I've done this in the past and the results were sub par what can I do to make it look nice and like new again? P.S. I'll take more pics tomorrow
Old 11-10-15, 06:14 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

What are you referring to? Cleaning exhaust tips? Cleaning the diffuser?

-Zach
Old 11-11-15, 11:08 AM
boostinsc
Racer

Exhaust tips.what would you use on the diffuser?curious to know
Old 11-11-15, 11:27 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by boostinsc
Exhaust tips.what would you use on the diffuser?curious to know
Exhaust tips are a breeze... yours do not appear to be in bad shape at all. You just need is some metal polish and a microfiber towel.

Apply a small amount of metal polish to the towel and spread the polish onto a portion of the exhaust tip. Now work the polish against the metal using moderate to heavy pressure at first, and finishing with light pressure. Repeat this until you have polished the entire tip.
Name:  20150718-DSC_5229_zpsu0qddje5.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  495.2 KB

Use a clean portion of the towel, or a new towel, to wipe off the polish residue and reveal a bright & shiny exhaust tip. It is important to note that this towel should NEVER be used on paint or any other surface except for metal from here on out.
Name:  20150718-DSC_5230_zpsmxek9xyl.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  493.0 KB

You should then wash your exhaust tips during normal routine washes to keep them looking good, and polish them as needed.

For the diffuser, there are two options you can go with. Option 1 is a simple, water-based dressing that will restore a deep finish to the plastic, but will need to be reapplied after almost every wash for best results. I would recommend a product like CarPro PERL for this.

The 2nd option, and my personal choice, would be to use a plastic trim coating to enhance and protect the plastic for a year or more. For this, I would recommend CarPro DLUX.

Name:  20140805-DSC_2549_zpsef442493.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  552.4 KB

Product Review: CarPro DLUX Plastic and Wheel Coating by Zach McGovern

-Zach
Old 11-12-15, 07:04 AM
jonnyp34
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scratch removal and Paint Protection

Zach,
I just bought my first Lexus...happy to be part of the club. 2008 IS350, Silver, 18", Nav. There are a couple scratches in the paint, although they look to be in the surface only, and a couple chips as well. I can post a pic or two later today. A couple questions for you:

1. How can I remove/buff out the scratches?
2. Where can I get touch-up paint to cover up the chips?

Also, I want to protect the rest of the car, and based on some other articles you have posted I'm leaning towards the Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant. That seems to be what you would recommend.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
What are you referring to? Cleaning exhaust tips? Cleaning the diffuser?

-Zach
Old 11-12-15, 07:41 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by jonnyp34
Zach,
I just bought my first Lexus...happy to be part of the club. 2008 IS350, Silver, 18", Nav. There are a couple scratches in the paint, although they look to be in the surface only, and a couple chips as well. I can post a pic or two later today. A couple questions for you:

1. How can I remove/buff out the scratches?
2. Where can I get touch-up paint to cover up the chips?

Also, I want to protect the rest of the car, and based on some other articles you have posted I'm leaning towards the Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant. That seems to be what you would recommend.
Congrats on the new car... Welcome to the club! I wish I had opted for the IS350 over my 250, but I still love the car

1 - I imagine you will notice many, many more scratches in the paint when inspected under proper lighting. It is common for most vehicles (new and used) to have swirls and scratches in the paint from improper washing and drying. These defects lead to a lackluster finish that can be greatly enhanced with a process called paint correction.

Lucky for you, silver is perhaps the most difficult color to see swirls, but if you'd like to examine your paint, here is how I would go about doing it with light colored paint....

Wash your vehicle, and pull it into your garage. Turn off all ambient lights, and use a bright LED flash light to carefully inspect the paint. It is highly likely you will see something like this.

Name:  20140719-DSC_1811_zpsc063e549.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  720.2 KB

Notice the very fine scratches that cover the entire panel. These are known as swirl marks.

These defects can be removed by using dual action polishers, pads, and abrasive liquids (compounds and polishes) to level the surface.

Name:  20140719-DSC_1824_zpsc9e84ff8.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  421.1 KB

Name:  20140719-DSC_1839_zpsbefe1c27.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  417.7 KB
Name:  20140719-DSC_1841_zpsd5c6f4e8.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  403.2 KB

The end result is a vehicle that is glossy with noticeably clearer reflections... even on silver paint.
Name:  20140721-DSC_1880-2_zps43b82aea.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  776.4 KB

Here is some basic information on the paint correction process.
Polishing How To with Meguiar’s M105 / M205 by Todd Cooperider
What is a “Test Spot” and why is it important? by Chad Raskovich
Analyzing Your Test Spot by Zach McGovern
Paint Correction: Pairing Products and Pads by Zach McGovern

Here are some basic tools that I would recommend if you're looking to DIY.

Buffers:
Griot's Garage 3rd Gen DA Polisher - Affordable, Effective, Reliable, and most of all SAFE FOR EVERYONE TO USE! This product is backed by a lifetime manufacturer warranty.

Backing Plates:
5" Backing Plate
3" Backing Plate

Buffing Pads:
Meguiar's MicroFiber Cutting Discs - Great for removing heavier defects or for working with harder paint
Lake Country 5.5” and 3” Foam Pads (I typically recommend 3 of each of the Orange Light Cutting Pads, White Polishing Pads, and Black Finishing Pads in both 5.5" and 3" sizes as a good starter kit)

Polish:
Meg's M100 Cutting Compound (SMAT)
Meg's M205 Finishing Polish (SMAT)

2 - Your dealership will have touch up paint available.

3 - Blackfire Wet Diamond and Menzerna Power Lock are two of my favorite sealants. Very easy to use, and both work great.

Let me know if you have any other questions! You can also reach out to me via PM if needed.

-Zach
Old 11-12-15, 04:07 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

Hi Zach. What type of brush would you recommend for cleaning leather car seats?
Thanks.
Wayne
Old 11-12-15, 07:22 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I use this horse hair upholstery brush to agitate leather cleaner and help lift dirt.

The process is simple... just spray a leather cleaner, like Sonax Leather Foam, onto the surface. Allow it to dwell as directed on the label, then agitate with a clean brush, and wipe away dirt with a damp towel followed by a dry towel. Rinse your brush out and repeat the process as necessary.
Name:  31_zpsnnfsg5n3.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  580.4 KB

-Zach
Old 11-13-15, 08:13 AM
benztolex
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been seeing a lot of people using foam sprayers for the last couple of years. What is the purpose? Is it a good investment?
Old 11-13-15, 10:21 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by benztolex
I've been seeing a lot of people using foam sprayers for the last couple of years. What is the purpose? Is it a good investment?
Are you talking about foam guns and foam lances?

Name:  20151112-DSC_8302_zpsxj8foxxr.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  1.12 MB
^Foam lance attached to pressure washer

Name:  20140405-DSC_8463_zps92b89390.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  971.6 KB
^Foam gun attached to hose

If so...

Product Review: DI Foam Lance by Zach McGovern
How to Implement a Foam Lance into your Wash Routine by Zach McGovern
Setting Up Your DI Foam Lance by Greg Gellas

The idea behind these products is that by letting a thick layer of soapy foam dwell on the vehicle, you are loosening/breaking up the dirt on the car. When you rinse away the foam, you are rinsing away some of the heavier dirt and debris that may have been on the surface before you ever touch the car, therefore minimizing the chances of scratching the paint with this dirt buildup.

In all honesty, I do not use a foaming tool when maintaining my personal vehicles. I use it on customer cars as they are often way dirtier than mine and can benefit from the additional deep cleaning.

Hope that helps

-Zach
Old 11-13-15, 11:27 AM
boostinsc
Racer

Thanks a lot Zach for the advice.
Old 11-13-15, 04:39 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

Thanks Zach. Where can I buy a horse hair brush?
Wayne
Old 11-15-15, 06:12 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by autotech13
Thanks Zach. Where can I buy a horse hair brush?
Wayne
Hey Wayne - all of my replies have links directly to the products that I mention. Just follow the link above to the brush I was referring to.

-Zach
Old 11-15-15, 05:33 PM
benztolex
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Zach the really helps. So despite using a foam gun/lance, you would still have to wipe the surface using some type of cloth sheep skin etc...

Quick Reply: Detailer Questions? Ask me!