Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailer Questions? Ask me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 07:38 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by benztolex
Thanks Zach the really helps. So despite using a foam gun/lance, you would still have to wipe the surface using some type of cloth sheep skin etc...
Correct - utilizing a foaming tool does not eliminate the washing step, it adds a pre-washing step.

-Zach
Old 11-18-15, 07:01 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

What's the best product to use for cleaning the inside of the RCF? It's mixed leather. I'm thinking of getting some of the Wolfgang line. Currently using chemical guys InterClean. Was thinking maybe using 303 aerospace

Please let me know if I'm off basis
Old 11-20-15, 06:48 PM
ComponY
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyp34
Zach,
I just bought my first Lexus...happy to be part of the club. 2008 IS350, Silver, 18", Nav. There are a couple scratches in the paint, although they look to be in the surface only, and a couple chips as well. I can post a pic or two later today. A couple questions for you:

1. How can I remove/buff out the scratches?
2. Where can I get touch-up paint to cover up the chips?

Also, I want to protect the rest of the car, and based on some other articles you have posted I'm leaning towards the Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant. That seems to be what you would recommend.
1. One way to remove scratches, would be to sand them, and then buff them out. Depending on the scratch, you can do different things.

A scratch that you can't feel with your fingers, will most likely come out. I would use 1500 Grit sand paper, and then 3000 over the 1500. Don't go too much, or you'll burn through the clear. Straight right to left or up and down strokes. Probably no more than 10-15. Use a block too. Then use a buffer and some compound.

Now if they are scratches that are very fine, and usually from rags, or brushes, you can usually take some wax to those. Let it bake in the sun for a minute or two, and then wipe it down with a fine cloth.

2. Either contact the dealership, or go to a local paint shop and they'll help you out.

Last edited by ComponY; 11-20-15 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-20-15, 06:50 PM
ComponY
Driver

I will start making/uploading videos of sanding, buffing, and walk-troughs on scratches, paint nibs, and even runs!
Old 11-21-15, 12:03 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

First rule of detailing is "Don't make things worse." Attempting to sand a scratch may turn into an expensive nightmare if you are a nube to this technique, especially with an 8 YO vehicle who's paint thickness is unknown. If you cannot catch your fingernail in the scratch you likely can polish it out with a compound, even by hand. If you have a DA or rotary polisher it is even easier, if you are experienced in their use. My advice is to start out with a polish or compound, or better yet find a professional detailer to put your new ride back in like new condition. Once there, it is much easier to maintain. As to touch-up paint go to your local Lexus dealer. They will have the exact paint match you want. Before dabbing on the paint though, clean the area and wipe it down with some isopropyl alcohol to remove any dirt, grease or wax. If the areas are large, or many, consider a body shop. They can often work cheaply when they are slow.

Sometimes a few scratches in an 8 YO vehicle are considered character marks. If you want to make them less visible it is usually better to compound & polish and move on rather than wind up sanding through the clear coat and winding up with an ugly mess that is expensive to remedy. I'd let the pros with the proper knowledge and equipment worry about things like paint thickness and possible damage.
Old 11-21-15, 02:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by ComponY
1. One way to remove scratches, would be to sand them, and then buff them out. Depending on the scratch, you can do different things.

A scratch that you can't feel with your fingers, will most likely come out. I would use 1500 Grit sand paper, and then 3000 over the 1500. Don't go too much, or you'll burn through the clear. Straight right to left or up and down strokes. Probably no more than 10-15. Use a block too. Then use a buffer and some compound.

Now if they are scratches that are very fine, and usually from rags, or brushes, you can usually take some wax to those. Let it bake in the sun for a minute or two, and then wipe it down with a fine cloth.

2. Either contact the dealership, or go to a local paint shop and they'll help you out.
Good lord. So much wrong here, totally overkill...dry sanding instead of wet sanding or more logically machine polishing? Let wax bake in the sun and then wipe it off to take care of fine scratches?

Get your advice from zmcgovern folks.
Old 11-21-15, 03:47 PM
ComponY
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Good lord. So much wrong here, totally overkill...dry sanding instead of wet sanding or more logically machine polishing? Let wax bake in the sun and then wipe it off to take care of fine scratches?

Get your advice from zmcgovern folks.
Wrong? I do this all day. There's no wrong or right way to do it if you do it your way....

I happen to be comfortable with sanding, buffing and so-on. Yes, I'm experienced and only experienced people should try sanding, but it will work.

Putting wax on a car (thick), and letting it sit for a minute or so, usually helps. It allows the wax to set. This is for people who have never touched a DA or any type of buffer.
Old 11-21-15, 06:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Detailer Questions? Ask me!

Just because you do something all day doesn't mean you do it right. To tell people to sand as a first step in removing scratches you can't feel with your fingernail is irresponsible. Proper technique would be to start with the least aggressive procedure first, which would certainly not be sanding.

Wax does not remove scratches. All you're doing is hiding what's there and it will come back.

Lots of detailing knowledge here, but this isn't it. Sorry.
Old 11-22-15, 11:37 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by ComponY

I will also caution anyone reading this to consider other options before following this particular advice as there are much safer ways of dealing with defects in paint.

Automotive clear coat is dangerously thin, and sand paper in the hands of an amateur can be an easy recipe for making things worse.

The golden rule of detailing is Always Use the LEAST AGGRESSIVE method first. Sand paper being the most aggressive.

We have shown time and time again that paint correction - the process by which defects such as moderate swirls, scratches, and other paint defects are removed using dual action polishers, various pads, and abrasive compounds - is the best way to safely enhance the overall look of your vehicle.
Name:  13_zpsi694ud7c.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  543.6 KB

I urge people in need of these services who do not wish to learn how to DIY to contact a professional detailer who is an expert in this type of work, and avoid body shops and dealerships as their methodology tends to mimic the advice mentioned above in that you should simply level it out with sand paper or a rotary machine and wool pad..... which can lead to further damage.

Just my $0.02

-Zach
Old 11-23-15, 06:01 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

What's the best product to use for cleaning the inside of the RCF? It's mixed leather. I'm thinking of getting some of the Wolfgang line. Currently using chemical guys InterClean. Was

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...#ixzz3sN1Efacu
Old 11-23-15, 07:37 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by JB5674
What's the best product to use for cleaning the inside of the RCF? It's mixed leather. I'm thinking of getting some of the Wolfgang line. Currently using chemical guys InterClean. Was

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...#ixzz3sN1Efacu
There are some great threads in this section about interior cleaning. Have a look around... here are a couple recent ones.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...o-you-use.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...rotectant.html

-Zach
Old 11-27-15, 10:29 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Where to get top quality 100% cotton polishing cloths? And at least double layer.
Also where to buy products like opti coat and other coatings?
Also where to buy and what is the best interior paint or dye to use on plastics and carpet and leather?
Old 11-28-15, 06:51 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I doubt you'll find 100% cotton cloths as microfiber is the preferred choice by 99% of us.

Opti-Coat is only available to authorized professionals. You can find consumer based coatings here.

I know Leatherique makes dye kits. As does
Old 11-28-15, 10:40 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I will never use a microfiber on paint, polyester will micro scratch it, its harder than paint.
Opti-coat, then I guess a person needs to become authorized.
So will those consumer based coatings last as long or out last opti coat?
Old 11-29-15, 05:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dicer
I will never use a microfiber on paint, polyester will micro scratch it, its harder than paint.
Opti-coat, then I guess a person needs to become authorized.
So will those consumer based coatings last as long or out last opti coat?
If you have the answers why are you asking? Microfiber is the industry standard, is the entire industry wrong? Quality microfiber will absolutely not scratch your paint.

Your thinking is about 20 years behind here. Doesn't surprise me.

Quick Reply: Detailer Questions? Ask me!