Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Soap for is350 leather. What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 05:28 PM
hirsch2is
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Soap for is350 leather. What do you use?

Hey all so I'm about to clean my black leather interior on my 08 2is. I read te sticky at the top that mentions mild soap and water is all you need. What exactly do you use as mild soap for this. This is the first time cleaning my own leather so I'm really not sure what to use
Old 10-13-15, 08:04 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Your owners manual calls for a mild solution (5%) of wool detergent like original Woolite and water.

I prefer to use Leather Masters Strong Leather Detergent mixed 50/50 with mildly hot water. I pour the detergent mix onto a foam pad and squeeze it several times to generate lots of foam. This is the CHAT method of cleaning recommended by most leather professionals.

C=Chemical (the detergent)
H = Heat
A = Agitation
T = Time (dwell time)

I start cleaning a small section at a time. After letting the foamy mix dwell for a couple minutes, I wipe it up with a clean white cotton towel. I examine the towel to see of it is clean or dirty. If it is dirty, I repeat the process. If it comes up clean the dirt is removed and I move on.

I don't over-wet the leather and I do wipe down the cleaned leather with a clean wrung out cotton towel to remove all traces of the detergent after cleaning. I then buff with a dry cotton towel. I do this deep cleaning every three to four months. In between cleanings, I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer to wipe down the leather weekly. This process works equally well on real leather or the synthetic imitation leather varieties.
Old 11-02-15, 06:00 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Your owners manual calls for a mild solution (5%) of wool detergent like original Woolite and water.

I prefer to use Leather Masters Strong Leather Detergent mixed 50/50 with mildly hot water. I pour the detergent mix onto a foam pad and squeeze it several times to generate lots of foam. This is the CHAT method of cleaning recommended by most leather professionals.

C=Chemical (the detergent)
H = Heat
A = Agitation
T = Time (dwell time)

I start cleaning a small section at a time. After letting the foamy mix dwell for a couple minutes, I wipe it up with a clean white cotton towel. I examine the towel to see of it is clean or dirty. If it is dirty, I repeat the process. If it comes up clean the dirt is removed and I move on.

I don't over-wet the leather and I do wipe down the cleaned leather with a clean wrung out cotton towel to remove all traces of the detergent after cleaning. I then buff with a dry cotton towel. I do this deep cleaning every three to four months. In between cleanings, I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer to wipe down the leather weekly. This process works equally well on real leather or the synthetic imitation leather varieties.

Hi Jim,

After cleaning with Leather Masters Strong, do you follow up with anything immediately afterwards to further protect the leather?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-15, 07:10 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by CodyJames
Hi Jim,

After cleaning with Leather Masters Strong, do you follow up with anything immediately afterwards to further protect the leather?

Thanks!
After cleaning and buffing the leather dry, I apply a leather protectant. I prefer to use Leather Masters Leather Protection Cream. It is a water-based fluorocarbon protectant. Being water based, it allows the protected leather to continue to accept hydration through transpiration and yet has prevented jean dye transfer from staining my leather's top-coat. I'll do the entire vehicle and then gently buff with another cotton towel.

It's the proper hydration of leather that helps to keep it soft, supple and reduces creases and cracking over time. I do this every three-four months depending on need. As previously mentioned, I'll wipe down the leather weekly with a wrung out cotton towel or one moistened with QID, to clean and hydrate.
Old 11-02-15, 09:00 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

After cleaning and buffing the leather dry, I apply a leather protectant. I prefer to use Leather Masters Leather Protection Cream. It is a water-based fluorocarbon protectant. Being water based, it allows the protected leather to continue to accept hydration through transpiration and yet has prevented jean dye transfer from staining my leather's top-coat. I'll do the entire vehicle and then gently buff with another cotton towel.

It's the proper hydration of leather that helps to keep it soft, supple and reduces creases and cracking over time. I do this every three-four months depending on need. As previously mentioned, I'll wipe down the leather weekly with a wrung out cotton towel or one moistened with QID, to clean and hydrate.
You sir, are the MAN! Thanks! When cleaning, how small of a section do you do at a time, and how long do you let the foam sit before wiping it off?
Old 11-02-15, 11:00 AM
jfelbab

I typically do a panel at a time, a seat back or seat bottom or the bolsters, etc. I adjust the dwell time to suit the degree of soiling. As I mentioned previously, I wipe up the foamy mix with clean white cotton towels and inspect them to see of they are removing anything. If they show soil I repeat and leave the dwell for a minute or so longer.
Old 11-02-15, 04:19 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

I typically do a panel at a time, a seat back or seat bottom or the bolsters, etc. I adjust the dwell time to suit the degree of soiling. As I mentioned previously, I wipe up the foamy mix with clean white cotton towels and inspect them to see of they are removing anything. If they show soil I repeat and leave the dwell for a minute or so longer.
Excellent - thanks again, Jim!
Old 11-04-15, 05:35 PM
haodaybe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a water-based fluorocarbon protectant. Being water based, it allows the protected leather to continue to accept hydration through transpiration and yet has prevented jean dye transfer from staining my leather's top-coat.