Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need advice to keep these wheels shining!

Old 09-09-15, 06:52 PM
Flilady
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice to keep these wheels shining!

I have the hand polished two toned wheels which are a $@&?! to keep clean! Even with Cquartz they require a lot of attention. Is there anything on the market I can apply that will help repel the grime and keep them cleaner longer? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Need advice to keep these wheels shining!-image.jpg  
Old 09-10-15, 04:24 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flilady
I have the hand polished two toned wheels which are a $@&?! to keep clean! Even with Cquartz they require a lot of attention. Is there anything on the market I can apply that will help repel the grime and keep them cleaner longer? Thanks!
I really like this product: Code Red.

Old 09-10-15, 05:17 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wheelwax

www.wheelwax.com

safe for all wheels

discount tire sells them. I have used it, good product. Worked great on my Volk wheels I had on my Z.
Old 09-10-15, 06:56 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Replace the stock brake pads with low dust Carbotech versions.
Old 09-10-15, 07:31 AM
Joe166
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than Wheel Wax, which has been around for years, and similar products, which are just waxes and sealants and work just as you would expect, Eagle1 used to make a product that you sprayed on a clean wheel that helped keep the dust from sticking for a couple of weeks. I thought it worked pretty well. If you sprayed the wheel hard every few days it kept them reasonably clean. BUT I ran our of it a couple of months ago and I couldn't find it anywhere, even on their website. I guess they stopped making it. I looked at every different auto parts and accessory store that I saw during a recent out of town trip, including Pep Boys, Advance, Discount, and also Walmart and Target. No one seemed to have any idea what I was talking about. The only thing I saw was a product at Walmart from Armor All that seemed to be for the same purpose with similar instructions including that it might collect on the bottom of the wheel and show as a white residue on the tire sidewall but that could be removed easily, (just the same as on the Eagle1 product). I have seen this product elsewhere since then but not as cheap as at Walmart. Unfortunately while I have only used it once, I don't think it works at all. I will try it again, but as of now, I can't say there is anything except elbow grease that can keep brake dust off your wheels. Here is a Youtube "test" of this product that seems to have had different results that I did:
Old 09-10-15, 10:54 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
^^This

Since you mentioned the wheels are already coated in CQuartz, wheel wax (or similar) won't help. The wheels are already going to be as easy to clean as possible. If you've got a sports car with high performance brakes, you will suffer the consequences when it comes to keeping the wheels clean. It is a daily task. Buy some microfiber towels that will be dedicated to wheel cleaning, and use a rinseless wash solution to clean them each night.

If that isn't going to work for your schedule, you should switch to a low dusting (usually ceramic) brake pad to make your life easier.

-Zach
Old 09-10-15, 08:39 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
Didn't they have a Special Group Buy Price they were running for awhile, not sure if they still have in on. I think they are also suppose to help with the Squealing Issue too.
Old 09-11-15, 01:51 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Didn't they have a Special Group Buy Price they were running for awhile, not sure if they still have in on. I think they are also suppose to help with the Squealing Issue too.
It's here and the link to the group buy still works:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...group-buy.html

I never had a squealing issue, but they definitely reduce the brake dust significantly.