Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

303 Fabric guard not working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 08:24 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 303 Fabric guard not working?

So I got 303 Fabric guard to protect my carpet and carpet liner on my new NX. Sprayed all carpets in X format and let cure. I sprayed some water on the next day and the carpet was absorbing the water. Went for a 2nd coat and the next day it was better, but still not fully hydrophobic.

Is it because I didn't cure it in the sun? Not enough product? There's barely any sun in San Francisco.
Old 08-06-15, 01:17 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I had similar questions as I noticed the same type of performance on carpeting, yet on convertible tops I was getting great beading.

I reached out to the manufacturer and the explanation that I received made some sense... so I went with it.

Their reasoning was that carpet is a thicker, more plush nap/pile. Therefore the individual fibers are coated with the protectant, however water is still able to sink down beneath the fibers and appear to be absorbing into the fabric. Yet if you were to spill something onto the carpet, it would still be easier to clean up as the fibers would resist the fluid better than untreated fibers.

Name:  20140721-DSC_1871-2_zps57a1184f.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  796.6 KB

Comparing a carpet to a fabric convertible top, you can see that the convertible top has no nap/pile to it. It is just a flat surface, so the water sits on top of it instead of beneath the apparent surface.

It seemed to be logical to me, so I haven't questioned it
Old 08-11-15, 01:38 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weird because some parts of the carpet will repel the water just fine. I guess i might put another layer so i get the beading to my linking.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I had similar questions as I noticed the same type of performance on carpeting, yet on convertible tops I was getting great beading.

I reached out to the manufacturer and the explanation that I received made some sense... so I went with it.

Their reasoning was that carpet is a thicker, more plush nap/pile. Therefore the individual fibers are coated with the protectant, however water is still able to sink down beneath the fibers and appear to be absorbing into the fabric. Yet if you were to spill something onto the carpet, it would still be easier to clean up as the fibers would resist the fluid better than untreated fibers.

Comparing a carpet to a fabric convertible top, you can see that the convertible top has no nap/pile to it. It is just a flat surface, so the water sits on top of it instead of beneath the apparent surface.

It seemed to be logical to me, so I haven't questioned it