Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Permanent Tire Protectant

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 06:39 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swfla
I don't think anyone's crossed the line. BUT, let's be thankful they are a forum sponsor.
I'm hoping some members will just "give it a try" no matter what our observations are.
I actually am interested in trying it, but cant justify spending 40+shipping on the whole kit (already have TufShine sitting here)

A small sample of the cleaner, base and clearcoats would be great, even if its enough just to do 1 tire it would be a good comparison.
Old 07-24-15, 06:47 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
I don't think anyone's crossed the line. BUT, let's be thankful they are a forum sponsor.
I'm hoping some members will just "give it a try" no matter what our observations are.
No doubt about it, happy to have another detailing sponsor supporting our site... if it is a re-branded version of a product that several members already use/like then there is nothing wrong with that as it already has a customer base here just under a different label, but when there are extraordinary claims like "permanent", "can last the life of your tires" etc, red flags start going up.

As I mentioned, I have used a couple other tire coatings on the market, one of which was Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat. They also market their product as permanent, yet I saw the gloss fade dramatically after just 2-3 months on my wife's SUV. This was a big let down given that I was expecting it to last considerably longer, however it is still leaps and bounds better than the average water-based dressing that lasts a week.

If realistic expectations are set, and the product claims were something like "long lasting tire protection with gloss that lasts months, not weeks!" then that would be a different story.

As another member pointed out, Permagloss explicitly states on their site that in order to maintain the "wet look" (which to me means gloss), a fresh coat of their top coat needs to be reapplied regularly therefore the original post here is quite misleading to those who may not look into the details.

Perhaps we are just being picky, but I like to hear unbiased reviews from real world testing and not just manufacturer's claims. That goes for any product on the market. That's why anyone who shops on Amazon knows you don't buy something that has a bad review or no reviews, and instead you pick something with hundreds or thousands of positive reviews from real customers.

Just my $0.02

-Zach
Old 07-24-15, 06:54 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

In order to help validate this product offering from Permagloss, if they are willing to ship a kit to a forum member who promises to do a well documented write up & review with ongoing documentation of product life/durability, I will gladly supply that same forum member with a Tuf Shine Kit out of my own pocket for comparison (would just ask that the person help cover shipping). I'm genuinely interested in learning if there is a tire coating out there that will last and can keep me from having to reapply a dressing every week.

-Zach
Old 07-24-15, 07:01 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Id be more than willing to do that test if you want.

I have another vehicle thats never had anything applied to the tires, but they are 4+ years old. Would clean them thoroughly and install both products as a review and comparison.
Old 07-24-15, 09:16 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Information from NitroSheld...

Originally Posted by Dan B, National Sales Manager
You are partially correct with regards to NitroShield, Permagloss, and Tuf Shine. All three "chemicals" are manufactured by the same company. However, these products do differ in composition. Permagloss and NitroShield are both two-part coatings, which include a Base Coat and a Finish Coat, while Tuf Shine is only a one part coating ... consisting of a Finish Coat only. The Base Coat is similar to the Finish Coat but includes black pigment and other ingredients to provide a consistent deep black base and, hence, a richer, deeper shine. It also improves product adherence and durability.

The major difference between Permagloss and NitroShield is packaging. NitroShield is designed for commercial use and includes "tools," scrub brushes, etc that Permagloss, which is a DIY product, does not.
All 3 products are from the same company, therefore happy users of Tuf Shine can rest assured that Permagloss will work as well or better than the coating you already enjoy due to the 2 part system used with the Permagloss product.

-Zach
Old 07-24-15, 09:28 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Information from NitroSheld...

All 3 products are from the same company, therefore happy users of Tuf Shine can rest assured that Permagloss will work as well or better than the coating you already enjoy due to the 2 part system used with the Permagloss product.

-Zach
Good info.

I wonder if the PermaGloss base coat is the same as TufShine Black Restore.
Old 08-18-15, 09:40 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

So has sponsor given any samples out? About to buy some new tires, and will be buying dressing also.
Old 08-18-15, 11:10 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Forum moderator, can you tell us if they're still a sponsor? Is a sponsor more than just an advertiser?
Old 08-18-15, 11:22 AM
Permagloss
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello swfla, we are indeed still a sponsor.
Popping, at this time because of the way the product is packaged we are unable to provide samples.
Any other questions you guys have I will try to answer in a timely manner.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 03-02-16, 11:08 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

So what was the verdict on this? Seems like there was a bunch of interest.
Old 03-02-16, 11:13 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

My bad, just realized Permagloss joined up and hung around for only 3 months, does that mean this product is no better than the alternatives listed above?
Old 03-02-16, 11:17 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
My bad, just realized Permagloss joined up and hung around for only 3 months, does that mean this product is no better than the alternatives listed above?
Per the response I quoted above from Nitro Shield, Permagloss and Nitroshield are the same 2 part system. Tuf Shine is only a 1 part system (same as the 2nd step of the perma and nitro process).

As far as I know, no one here posted a review of either the Permagloss or Nitroshield products.
Old 03-02-16, 11:34 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Per the response I quoted above from Nitro Shield, Permagloss and Nitroshield are the same 2 part system. Tuf Shine is only a 1 part system (same as the 2nd step of the perma and nitro process).

As far as I know, no one here posted a review of either the Permagloss or Nitroshield products.
Good to know. And good on you to offer a sample out of your own pocket and disappointing that a manufacturer or rep was unwilling to do the same..
Old 03-02-16, 12:44 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Good to know. And good on you to offer a sample out of your own pocket and disappointing that a manufacturer or rep was unwilling to do the same..
I genuinely wanted someone to be able to do the test. I've tried the Tuf Shine coating many times and it didn't overly excite me... so if someone has info on comparing the two coatings (tuf shine vs. nitroshield/permagloss) I would love to hear about it!
Old 03-02-16, 03:28 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

aaaaaaahhhhhh, permanent shermanent... who wants to paint their tires so they always shine? IMO, that does not seem healthy for your tires. (GRIN) i will stick with applying tire shine the old fashioned way. companies advertise that their product does this and that, when all that you get is lighter pockets and the product doesn't stand up to it's name.... in some instances.

Quick Reply: Permanent Tire Protectant