Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Should I let the dealer wash my new car before delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 12:01 PM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I let the dealer wash my new car before delivery?

We're getting an Atomic Silver ES350 shipped from a not-so-local Lexus dealer to my local dealer (its about 250 miles from the far dealer to us)

Ive had "issues" before from dealers that wrecked my car with their free wash, even after I said "DO NOT WASH" so Im quite averse to letting ANY dealer touch my cars. (NOTE: it was not our Lexus dealer)

Is it a mistake to not let them wash the new one? I was just worried there might be imperfections that I cant see because it will be dirty. On the flipside, I didnt want them to ADD imperfections by doing a crappy wash job.

TIA

-Chris
Old 06-30-15, 02:35 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I recommend to all of my customers who are receiving new vehicles to decline any sort of dealership wash, detail, prep, cleaning, whatever they want to call it.

Either DIY, or seek a true professional to properly clean and protect your brand new ride.

-Zach
Old 06-30-15, 02:46 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They did the "new car detail" to my car prior to delivery. Lucky I was not charged and there was no damage. My dealer is aware many people request not to wash the car so I don't have to stress too much.
Old 06-30-15, 05:47 PM
chrisexv6
Driver

Hopefully Im just being too paranoid.

The car was on the other dealers lot for 68 days or something like that. Im assuming the shipping plastic was removed and the car washed at least twice.

I would like to at least minimize the amount of *additional* swirling that my local dealer will "install" when the car gets here. I requested I be able to be there before it comes off the truck so I can check it out in person asap.

Its apparently a hard to come by combination....my dealer showed 4 on the ground and 1 inbound (to a different dealer, about a month out) with the particular options and color combination (ES350 Ultra Lux w/lane departure and pre-coll, in atomic silver on black), so just finding another one wasnt really an option. I can get it in plain silver all day, but thats boring!
Old 07-01-15, 10:18 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

how do you spell, "HELL NO" !!!!!!!!!! do not let them touch it. take it with plastic and all, or have them flatbed it to your house.
Old 07-01-15, 10:21 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
how do you spell, "HELL NO" !!!!!!!!!! do not let them touch it. take it with plastic and all, or have them flatbed it to your house.
Its coming from another dealer 250 miles away.

The inventory screen showed "DIS" (Days In Stock?) of 68

The serial number is really early

So Im presuming its an "old" 2015, and has been out of its plastic for a while now.

Unless it was sitting in the showroom the whole time, its probably pretty damn dirty, but Im NOT letting them clean it.

I was just paranoid I might find some hidden damage/imperfections once I wash it myself, that the dealer would then claim were my fault.
Old 07-01-15, 10:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If the car has already been washed at least once by the dealership, probably a good possibility, the fact it is Atomic Silver would be in your favor, as it will hide swirls pretty well and hopefully need only minimum correction etc.
Old 07-02-15, 10:20 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Well, of course after telling them numerous times NOT to, they washed it.

Got a chance to talk to their detailers and they *seem* to know what they are talking about, but the proof wont be until I can get off whatever they smear onto the car

Literally 2 hours elapsed between the time the car came in and the time I got there.....they couldnt keep it out of the detail bay for TWO LOUSY HOURS. Ugh.

What I was able to see did look good, but it wasnt in the sun. Officially picking the car up tomorrow and the weather looks good.
Old 07-02-15, 10:31 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Well... you do have perhaps the most forgiving paint color available when it comes to showing paint defects. A nice metallic silver makes it very difficult to spot defects, so chances are even if they didn't do good work, it won't drastically effect the overall look of the vehicle like swirls and holograms do on jet black paint.

For good measure, I would still take it upon yourself to thoroughly wash, clay and at least do a light polish on the paint before applying a paint protection product of your choice.

-Zach
Old 07-02-15, 10:37 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Yep, planned on doing that (or having someone do it for me).

Its not a plain jane silver so its a bit "darker", but its surely not BMW jet black or Malbec Black like my G.

While we're on the subject....I wanted to use a permanent/semi-permanent coating on this car. I usually go the OptiCoat route, but the product lineup has changed since the last I checked.

Any recommendations for something that can bring out the "uniqueness" of Lexus Atomic Silver? I love Opti on my G37 because the thing looks soaking wet at all times, but thats a dark color....was wondering if there is a better alternative for a light-ish color.

Thanks.

-Chris
Old 07-03-15, 06:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I wouldnt worry about it. I always tell the dealer to skip the wash at a service stop, but I always have them prep it before delivery. Hasn't bitten me yet.

As much as I know they can swirl up the car, I can't bring myself to take delivery of a new car with it all filthy.
Old 07-03-15, 11:44 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I wouldnt worry about it. I always tell the dealer to skip the wash at a service stop, but I always have them prep it before delivery. Hasn't bitten me yet.

As much as I know they can swirl up the car, I can't bring myself to take delivery of a new car with it all filthy.
Just picked it up today, actually. Looks great but I dont know if they used a glaze to hide anything or not.

I see you're from MD....my car was just trucked in from Towson Lexus
Old 07-03-15, 02:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sure its fine.

Congrats! Hopefully they didn't wash all the Maryland out of it
Old 07-04-15, 08:43 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisexv6
Its coming from another dealer 250 miles away.

The inventory screen showed "DIS" (Days In Stock?) of 68

The serial number is really early

So Im presuming its an "old" 2015, and has been out of its plastic for a while now.

Unless it was sitting in the showroom the whole time, its probably pretty damn dirty, but Im NOT letting them clean it.

I was just paranoid I might find some hidden damage/imperfections once I wash it myself, that the dealer would then claim were my fault.
yeah you're right... 68 days. Plastic is in a landfill somewhere. You actually have forgiving paint... I love that AS (atomic silver)��. Yes you will find some dealer inflicted imperfections. Easy to remove, you'll be fine... Just make sure you or a professional remove the imperfections. Don't let the dealer touch your car anymore than they have to. Strip, Polish, coating/sealant...
Old 07-04-15, 09:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No atomic silver on the LS in the U.S. They offer it in Canada...

Quick Reply: Should I let the dealer wash my new car before delivery?