Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Nanohide: Self healing paint protection?

Old 06-22-15, 06:40 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Nanohide: Self healing paint protection?

Any of the pros here hear of this product? Thoughts? Was browsing a Lambo forum late last night and saw that a member applied this to his Tesla. His experience below.

I recently ran into a couple of guys in Miami who have developed a new nano technology coating for paint protection. It is called Nanohide. I have used in the past 22PLE as well as OPTi coat. Both of these have great hydrophobic properties, however this new one Nanohide is supposed to have self healing properties to resist scratches. The guys took an old car hood and applied the nano hide to half of the hood. They then took a small Phillips screwdriver and put some light scratches across the top of the hood on both sides of the hood, the treated as well as non-treated. They then set the hood into the bright sun and as the metal heated up, the scratches on the treated side, disappeared. I just had them put the product on my Tesla on Wednesday and have to say I am so far very impressed. When I got home that night, driving across alligator Alley, you pick up some pretty good bugs this time year. When I got home I pulled out the hose and rinse the front of the car off and the bugs literally fell off the car. Usually I have to get out there with a bug remover cleanser as well as a sponge, to get bugs off after an evening drive through the Everglades.

You want to have all paint corrections done prior to installing this product. All the coatings are put on with an pad applicator. There are 2 basic cleaning steps, followed by 4 applications of different nanotechnology coatings. Each one is timed. It takes about four hours to do the vehicle completely. There is also a two-step process for the wheels and the glass. I originally heard about the product and had them send me a sample to put on my BMW rims. I took the wheels off and completely clean them and applied the two-step process to these wheels. As everybody is aware, usually German cars produce a lot of brake dust. A week later the wheels looked great, 80% less dust stuck to the wheels and the rest washed off easily.
I actually consulted with the Tesla Factory Paint Techs and they like what they see. I have had 7 Lambos and all have had different hardness of paint. My Black Murci was like Diamond, but my Gallardo scratched with even an slightly dirty wipe rag. This stuff would be awesome on the softer paints. It rained last night and I kept the car outside to test it out, when the sun came up it dried with no water spots. Now I will qualify that the paint is Pearl White, so water spotting is not as big an issue as a darker color. The textile coating would be kick *** on the Spyders.

http://www.nanohidetough.us/home/home/automotive/

Last edited by GFerg; 06-22-15 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 07:59 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Most likely a sealant. I like Rejex (I get it from Autogeek.net), you can apply these sealants 2-3 times a year and you're good to go.
Old 06-22-15, 09:58 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

No sealant would be "self healing".

This would be some sort of nano-coating... but I have never heard of it myself. There are several companies currently working on self healing paint coatings, but this brand is not something I have ever seen.

-Zach
Old 06-22-15, 10:28 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

http://3mauto.com/paint-defender-spray-film.html

Sounds like this
Old 06-22-15, 12:25 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure that 3M coating does nothing for the appearance of your paint. It's a spray-on clear bra, only not very clear. I always thought of it as something you put on your car before you went off-roading, when you were willing to put a temporary dull film on the car to protect it in an environment where it was sure to take hits from rocks, gravel, tree branches, etc.
Old 06-23-15, 03:04 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if it's the same company as ceramic pro 9h, Nanoshine.
Old 07-13-15, 08:54 AM
nanohide
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nanohide Reply

Hello All,

I would like to address the questions and comments in this thread.
Nanohide is a company that develops, test, and commercializes Nanotechnology based surface protection products. We have specific products for automotive, marine, aviation, industrial, and textile. I think a baseline understanding of what is Nanotechnology is relevant here. Nanotechnology (or Atomically Precise Manufacturing) - is the manipulation of matter at the atomic scale to produce a specific material for a desired result. What does that mean? We can engineer matter at extremely precise specifications. More so than has ever been dreamed of in the past. Nanotechnology is rapidly changing how we create material goods and think about manufacturing those goods. One area that is first to be commercialized is surface coatings.
Carnauba wax was a wood conditioner and preservative. When the first automobiles were developed they were wood framed, as were stage coaches. Carnauba wax was re-purposed for automotive use. It has worked well for the times but the technology is over a century old. New polymer sealants are far more effective paint protection than the traditional waxes. Some people still like the look of wax and continue to use it. Those same people love the way their records "sound" instead of mp3s.

With the advent of Nanotechnology we are now creating surface coatings that are highly scratch resistant, hydrophobic, and oleophobic. Basically, that means that not much sticks to it and what does stick does not damage it. For instance, bugs wipe off easily with water and a microfiber. No more going to the store and purchasing a bug and tar remover or any other 100 DIY remedies that you find online.

What is the product applied to the tesla? It is called Nanohide Nh-A7 It is applied by certified installers only. This is not a DIY product. It is NOT 3m spray, clear film, or polymer sealant. This product improves shine and appearance of vehicle for many years. After applying Nh-A7 your maintenance is to wash your car by hand once a month. Most of the time you will not even need soap. If heavily soiled you may need a light automotive soap. This coating is a one time application and last 7 years. The regenerative properties are for everyday wear and tear. Such as swirl marks and or clear coat scratches only. Rocks at 80 mph we do not cover. Angry exes keying your car? not covered. The regenerating properties are to repair the damage that negatively effect the luster of your new paint system.

If you are interested in the Nanotechnology field then I highly recommend the book "Radical Abundance by Eric Drexler". His vision is how Nanotechnology will create the means of evolving human kind beyond worrying about material goods. Everyone will have homes, cheap inexpensive energy, drinking water, and all accomplished in harmony with the environment. For Nanohide the faster we incorporate Nanotechnology the faster we will get there. How is a car coating doing that? With our coating we reduce the dependency on waxes (which come from trees), lower the usage of petroleum based products, ie. synthetic waxes, sealants, soaps, etc. we also reduce the usage of water for washing. Imagine if no one in the world used a wax again. What would be the environmental impact. More so, what are you as a customer going to do the time, money, and less stress of not having to worry about your car?

I trust that this information sheds some light on Nanotechnology and the automotive market. I truly love discussing Nanotechnology and changing the world. If you should have any questions feel free to contact me directly by email, fb, instagram. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Alejandro Borgos Co-Founder

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 07-13-15 at 09:07 AM. Reason: website removed - not an approved forum sponsor
Old 07-13-15, 09:32 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Any idea how much it would cost to get it installed by a certified installer?
Old 07-16-15, 08:56 AM
alex1372
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out http://www.cqfinest.com/
Old 07-16-15, 09:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by alex1372
Great stuff, but it does not have self-healing abilities like Nanohide.
Old 07-18-15, 12:44 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mfgrs of Nanohide make some pretty bold claims, and I view them with a healthy dose of skepticism. However, the mere fact that they are marketing the product to pros and enthusiasts gives them some instant credibility that the products sold only by dealerships as part of "dealer pack" will never have.
Old 10-15-15, 07:23 PM
ShowtimeFL
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, first post here and just wanted to chime in on Nanohide...

I was approached by them about a year ago here in South Florida. I consider myself and my company a reputable detailing company in South Florida. Been in business for 12 years (with a break for time in the Marines).

I was skeptical as you all were when approached. They offered to pay me to detail (paint correction) and apply Nanohide on an Infiniti G35. While doing it (it is very difficult to install), the owners showed me their car, which had a bird bomb dried up on the hood. Dry as a bone, they took a bath towel and wiped it off and rubbed it into the cars finish. I could see the swirls from it. They told me to circle the spot with a water soluble marker they had and to check back in 30-45 minutes. Sure enough: swirls were gone. I was shocked.

I then applied it to my pampered baby, my Mustang. That was around a year ago. The car is garage kept and driven weekends only for the most part. I didn't wash the car for the first 4 months. The car still looked brand new, even after driving in some rain storms. I tried to test the regenerative qualities myself by scrubbing the paint with a dirty bath towel that was laying in the corner of my garage. Under my 15k watt halogens, I tried to grind in some swirls. Couldn't. The stuff is pretty amazing. It's now on my wife's Audi S5 (black) and my F150, my bass boat, and it's going on my other truck next week.

I don't advertise the product actively much, even though I'm the only certified installer in my area that I know of. It will put me out business since I never see a residual. Lately, I have been pushing it a bit more because I believe the customers it appeals to will still have other services done.

Since becoming an installer, I have done probably 15 cars or so. I have not received a single complaint yet. It goes on the glass, rims, paint and metal trim. Their textile product is like that Home Depot Never Wet stuff, but it lasts years, not hours or days like that stuff.

Just food for thought. Again, I'm not trying to sell it. Just trying to give some personal perspective.

My customers cars have won numerous car shows, including a class winner at last years Boca Concours D'Elegance.

I know this comes off very "trollish". Just trying to give my professional opinion. I am a respectable member on S197forum.com (where I give much detailing advice under user name Lupo222), used to be respectable on NSXprime.com until I sold the car (Brian2by2), and a couple local forums. I'm always researching and stumbled on this topic

Last edited by ShowtimeFL; 10-15-15 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-15-15, 07:45 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ShowtimeFL
Hey guys, first post here and just wanted to chime in on Nanohide...

I was approached by them about a year ago here in South Florida. I consider myself and my company a reputable detailing company in South Florida. Been in business for 12 years (with a break for time in the Marines).

I was skeptical as you all were when approached. They offered to pay me to detail (paint correction) and apply Nanohide on an Infiniti G35. While doing it (it is very difficult to install), the owners showed me their car, which had a bird bomb dried up on the hood. Dry as a bone, they took a bath towel and wiped it off and rubbed it into the cars finish. I could see the swirls from it. They told me to circle the spot with a water soluble marker they had and to check back in 30-45 minutes. Sure enough: swirls were gone. I was shocked.

I then applied it to my pampered baby, my Mustang. That was around a year ago. The car is garage kept and driven weekends only for the most part. I didn't wash the car for the first 4 months. The car still looked brand new, even after driving in some rain storms. I tried to test the regenerative qualities myself by scrubbing the paint with a dirty bath towel that was laying in the corner of my garage. Under my 15k watt halogens, I tried to grind in some swirls. Couldn't. The stuff is pretty amazing. It's now on my wife's Audi S5 (black) and my F150, my bass boat, and it's going on my other truck next week.

I don't advertise the product actively much, even though I'm the only certified installer in my area that I know of. It will put me out business since I never see a residual. Lately, I have been pushing it a bit more because I believe the customers it appeals to will still have other services done.

Since becoming an installer, I have done probably 15 cars or so. I have not received a single complaint yet. It goes on the glass, rims, paint and metal trim. Their textile product is like that Home Depot Never Wet stuff, but it lasts years, not hours or days like that stuff.

Just food for thought. Again, I'm not trying to sell it. Just trying to give some personal perspective.

My customers cars have won numerous car shows, including a class winner at last years Boca Concours D'Elegance.

I know this comes off very "trollish". Just trying to give my professional opinion. I am a respectable member on S197forum.com (where I give much detailing advice under user name Lupo222), used to be respectable on NSXprime.com until I sold the car (Brian2by2), and a couple local forums. I'm always researching and stumbled on this topic
This will be deleted per forum rules....

I would delete any info pertaining to your business because it doesn't look good to sign up on a forum and your first post is to promote your own company and a product you sell.

Do they send out a sample of this to try?

I am interested in it.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 10-17-15 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-15-15, 07:49 PM
ShowtimeFL
Driver School Candidate

I only put that info to show credibility and suggest that I'm not a fly by night Detailer working out of the back of a minivan using sub par products and methods. But I will delete that section.

I am constantly working with the owner and can ask if they'll send out a sample, but the 7 year cannot be installed by anyone but a certified installer. There is a warranty on the product and I believe that is the reason it must be installed by a certified installer. Plus, it's 6 steps total and very difficult to do and the paint will need to be in perfect condition correction wise because that is the way it will be for 7 years. You cannot polish it with anything that contains fillers, as many detailers today (unfortunately) use. steps 1 and 2 will remove fillers and the swirls will reappear.
Old 10-16-15, 04:20 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious about this too. Unfortunately there aren't any certified installers near where I am :/.. Wonder how expensive it is to install?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nanohide: Self healing paint protection?