Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Help with Dash and Windshield Interior Cleaning

Old 05-19-15, 12:59 PM
iand1821
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Dash and Windshield Interior Cleaning

Hi all,

I had all four side windows, the rear window, and a strip on the top of the windshield tinted on my 2009 IS250 yesterday by a local stereo place that also does tint work.

Long story short, the tint looks ok so far but everything else about the experience was pretty unprofessional.

The interior of my windshield was heavily smeared with something, the exterior doors had streaks down them from some liquid (car was washed the day before) and the passenger side of the dash/front of glove box has streaks down it, as if some cup of liquid exploded on it and ran down (this wasn't there when I brought the car in).

The dash material is almost like a semi-soft, textured rubbery plastic.

My question is what should I use to clean the dashboard - cleaner solution and cloth wise? What should I use on the interior of the windshield? I know I should stay away from touching the tint for a few weeks, but I assume its fine to clean the rest of the non-tinted windshield.

While I'm at it, I figure I might as well remove the sticker residue thats on the corner of the dash and corner of windshield from the previous owner ( I purchased the car last Wednesday).

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Help with Dash and Windshield Interior Cleaning-img_0645.jpg   Help with Dash and Windshield Interior Cleaning-img_0646.jpg   Help with Dash and Windshield Interior Cleaning-img_0647.jpg  
Old 05-19-15, 02:05 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Have you tried just water on damp towel to see if it wipes off first. Give you an idea if it as easy clean or not.
Old 05-19-15, 02:50 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was probably some kind of wetting solution for the window film. It might just be soapy water. Try a damp cloth first, as recommended in the first reply.

For sticker residue, I usually start with Goo Gone, and even though it is pretty mild, I still make sure to rinse off all residue with a spray of water or instant detailer.
Old 05-19-15, 02:50 PM
gemini6kl
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea thats really unprofessional of them , well its most likely just the spray liquid they use to apply the tint which is mostly a mild solution of soap and water. You should have no problem cleaning it up with a microfiber cloth and some warm water. everything should clean up nicely.
Old 05-19-15, 02:58 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus! Congrats on the new purchase... I also have an 09 2IS and have really enjoyed it!

Window tint is applied by first spraying a soapy water solution all over the window that the tinted film floats on while it is positioned. The moisture is then squeegied (<- word? lol) away leaving the adhesive on the film in direct contact with the glass so it dries and bonds to the glass.

I imagine this soapy solution is what was sprayed all over the windshield and then dripped onto the dash. If this is the case, it should be pretty easy to remove. As Laobo979 already mentioned, I would begin by simply soaking a clean towel in some warm water with a touch of soap. Wring the towel out so it is just damp and wipe the dash. Then use another towel to dry the area. (don't use a soaking wet towel and be aware of electronics).

The dash on the IS is rather sensitive, so you want to avoid using any heavy chemical cleaners or silicone based dressing on it in the future. If you find that warm, soapy water does not help to clean your dash, you're going to need to use some type of chemical.

Only use a gentle solution to avoid harming the dash. I would recommend Einszett Cockpit Premium or Einszett Plastic Deep Cleaner.

If you prefer a deeper, darker finish with a little sheen, one of the most common cleaner and protectants is 303 Aerospace Protectant.

If you're not looking to order anything online and want to try something simple from a local store, check out Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. It is one of the few over the counter type products that I recommend.

*NOTE: I highly recommend testing these products in a small, inconspicuous place first before applying to the entire dash just to ensure it does not cause any harm to your vehicle.

Let us know how it goes!

-Zach
Old 05-19-15, 03:03 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Almost forgot... as far as removing the sticker from your glass, use a razor blade with some glass cleaner as lubrication.

If there is adhesive residue left over, a simple bug and tar remover will easily dissolve it. I'd recommend spraying some Tarminator onto a towel and then wiping the area (don't let it get on your dash!!! spray directly onto the towel)
Old 05-19-15, 04:42 PM
iand1821
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the tips guys!

I'll try the damp towel on the dash when I get home from work.

I appreciate all the suggestions, and I'll update with how it goes.
Old 05-20-15, 06:55 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by iand1821
thanks for all the tips guys!

I'll try the damp towel on the dash when I get home from work.

I appreciate all the suggestions, and I'll update with how it goes.
One more caution. Rubbing with towels, especially some microfibers, can alter the patina of the dash so be gentle or you may find the dash has a different, shinier finish when you are done. Try to allow the water, soapy water, cleaner, etc., to do the work with as little abrasion as possible.
Old 05-20-15, 08:41 PM
iand1821
Driver School Candidate

Update guys - I soaked a microfiber cloth with warm and wrung it out, and wiped down the dash, followed by a dry microfiber cloth.

It definitely took care of some of whatever was on the dash, but some streaks are still visible, and I noticed more on the doors today.

I'm thinking I need to use some soap + water this time and hopefully that takes care of it, before going to some sort of chemical to remove the streaks.

I don't think anyone addressed the sticker residue on the corner of the dash - what should I use to get that off?
Old 05-21-15, 04:05 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Almost forgot... as far as removing the sticker from your glass, use a razor blade with some glass cleaner as lubrication. If there is adhesive residue left over, a simple bug and tar remover will easily dissolve it. I'd recommend spraying some Tarminator onto a towel and then wiping the area (don't let it get on your dash!!! spray directly onto the towel)
^^^ see my previous post
Old 05-21-15, 05:14 AM
jfelbab

Sometimes you can remove sticker residue with magic mending tape. Apply a strip and press it into contact with the sticker. Then slowly lift it off and see if it picks up any of the residue. If it does, repeat as necessary with a clean piece of tape until all residue is removed.
Old 05-21-15, 11:26 AM
iand1821
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
^^^ see my previous post
Thanks I did see your info on the residue on the glass, but I'm talking about the sticker residue on the actually dashboard material, not the window.

Maybe the Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer you mentioned could help take care of this?
Old 05-21-15, 11:27 AM
iand1821
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Sometimes you can remove sticker residue with magic mending tape. Apply a strip and press it into contact with the sticker. Then slowly lift it off and see if it picks up any of the residue. If it does, repeat as necessary with a clean piece of tape until all residue is removed.
I'll try this too - where can I get the tape? Will a place like auto zone or home depot have it?
Old 05-21-15, 11:34 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Thanks I did see your info on the residue on the glass, but I'm talking about the sticker residue on the actually dashboard material, not the window.

Maybe the Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer you mentioned could help take care of this?
Ah, on the dash... simply place a towel that is damp with warm water on the residue (looks like paper residue?)... allow it to sit and soften the residue, then it should rub away or peel right off once the adhesive has been saturated with warm water.

Surprised it doesn't easily peel off after sitting in the sun all day.
Old 05-21-15, 12:09 PM
jfelbab

I'll try this too - where can I get the tape? Will a place like auto zone or home depot have it?
Almost anywhere, grocery store, Target, Walmart, Home Depot etc. The idea is that the tape's adhesive will adhere to the residue and pull it up when the tape is removed. This sometimes works and sometimes not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with Dash and Windshield Interior Cleaning