Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CQuartz versus 22ple's VX Pro Glass

Old 05-16-15, 09:16 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CQuartz versus 22ple's VX Pro Glass

I'm pretty new to this world of detailing. I've been researching coatings and plan on using one on my Lexus instead of wax. Based on the sticky in this forum as well as several posts, I have narrowed my choice down to CQuartz and 22ple's VX Pro Glass (see link here http://www.detailedimage.com/22ple-M...P681/20-ml-S1/).

These two products sound very similar in level of protection but they are very different in price so I'm not sure if there is a difference in protection that I'm not understanding. Can anyone recommend one over the other? Does anyone know why the VX Pro Glass product is so much more expensive than CQuartz?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-16-15, 10:38 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

22PLE is a nicer product to use. It has a longer working time, is easier to remove off the paint, and most likely offers better protection than regular CQuartz.

CQ is still very easy to use, but it's noticeably more "grabby" and requires more elbow grease to remove after the recommended curing time. I have noticed that CQ feels alot slicker on the surface after application and removal of the product.

Take this for what it is, but CQ does NOT harden your applicator media (whether it's a suede towel or wax applicator). 22PLE usually turns it rock hard after a day. 22PLE also crystalizes around the threads of the bottle cap, CQ does not. Common sense tells me there is something in 22PLE that actually does give the clearcoat more hardness whereas CQ most likely does not. I may be wrong but this is what I observed. Worked with both products for a while.
Old 05-17-15, 09:18 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for that insight. I think I'm going to lean towards 22ple.

When applying and buffing off this product do you think I can carefully use an orbital buffer instead of manual elbow grease?
Old 05-17-15, 10:23 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Both products are quite nice.

22ple VX Pro has since been improved with the new 22ple VX Pro2 Formula. There is also a newer 22ple VX3 Signature Coating. Follow the links to read more about them.

I had 22ple VX Pro (1st Gen) on my car for 2.5 years and really enjoyed it. Application is a breeze - very easy to apply and very easy to wipe off. Over time, one thing I found to be quite annoying was how easy water spots formed on the coating. Much quicker than traditional sealants. When I asked 22ple about this, they had told me it was due to the high silica properties of the coating, and that all coatings with high silica content are prone to this issue. A remedy is to apply 22ple VS1 Final Coat on top of the coating. This product is also a breeze to apply and just takes 15-20 min or so to apply to the whole car.

CQuartz Classic has recently been updated to include a much higher silica content which creates a harder coat (like CQuartz UK). This new formula also applies easier than CQUK, more similar to 22ple. One of the benefits to the CQuartz line up is the price... it is considerably less expensive than 22ple, however that may not be a concern to you. CQ also comes with an applicator block and suede applicator cloths. I have found these are my preferred tools for applying every coating I have ever used... so if you go with 22ple, I'd still recommend picking up an applicator block and suede cloths.

Regardless of which coating you choose, DO NOT use a buffer to remove the residual products. You must use very little pressure and as little wiping as possible when removing high spots/excess coating. This can only be done by hand and should be done with a new towel if at all possible.

Let me know if you've got any questions

-Zach
Old 05-17-15, 12:02 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Both products are quite nice.

22ple VX Pro has since been improved with the new 22ple VX Pro2 Formula. There is also a newer 22ple VX3 Signature Coating. Follow the links to read more about them.

I had 22ple VX Pro (1st Gen) on my car for 2.5 years and really enjoyed it. Application is a breeze - very easy to apply and very easy to wipe off. Over time, one thing I found to be quite annoying was how easy water spots formed on the coating. Much quicker than traditional sealants. When I asked 22ple about this, they had told me it was due to the high silica properties of the coating, and that all coatings with high silica content are prone to this issue. A remedy is to apply 22ple VS1 Final Coat on top of the coating. This product is also a breeze to apply and just takes 15-20 min or so to apply to the whole car.

CQuartz Classic has recently been updated to include a much higher silica content which creates a harder coat (like CQuartz UK). This new formula also applies easier than CQUK, more similar to 22ple. One of the benefits to the CQuartz line up is the price... it is considerably less expensive than 22ple, however that may not be a concern to you. CQ also comes with an applicator block and suede applicator cloths. I have found these are my preferred tools for applying every coating I have ever used... so if you go with 22ple, I'd still recommend picking up an applicator block and suede cloths.

Regardless of which coating you choose, DO NOT use a buffer to remove the residual products. You must use very little pressure and as little wiping as possible when removing high spots/excess coating. This can only be done by hand and should be done with a new towel if at all possible.

Let me know if you've got any questions

-Zach
Zach,

Bottom line... If $$ is not an issue, Which coating would you recommend? Isn't there a "dealer" only
Cquartz or is my memory faulty?

Thanks!

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 05-17-15 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 12:06 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexi66

Zach,

Bottom line... If $$ is not an issue, Which coating would you recommend? Isn't there a "dealer" only

Thanks!
Yes, the dealer only version is called CQ Finest.

There really isn't a best coating out there.

I guess the ones that are most highly regarded are Opti Coat Pro and CQ Finest.

I think 22PLE is not an ounce worse than the two but the problem with 22PLE is their marketing sucks which means not too many people know of the product. Can't go wrong with either of those.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 05-17-15 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 12:28 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Zach,

Thanks!
As already mentioned, there is CQuartz Finest (www.CQFinest.com) that is available through authorized professionals only.

There is also 22ple Mistico Elemento, which is their professional coating that is highly unique, however it is not readily available in the US market. Only a small group of installers.

CQuartz Finest and Opti-Coat Pro are the most common professional only products in the US at this point in time.

-Zach
Old 05-17-15, 06:51 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
As already mentioned, there is CQuartz Finest (www.CQFinest.com) that is available through authorized professionals only.

There is also 22ple Mistico Elemento, which is their professional coating that is highly unique, however it is not readily available in the US market. Only a small group of installers.

CQuartz Finest and Opti-Coat Pro are the most common professional only products in the US at this point in time.

-Zach
Zach: In your opinion, are they about equal? Or would you pick one over the other?
Old 05-17-15, 08:27 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would pick Cquartz over Opticoat. I have tried both consumer version. They are very similar but i find Cquartz slicker and glossier with glasslike appearance. Zach will definitely prefer Cquartz over Opticoat as well because he convinced me to try out Carpro products lol haha. Dont say you did not because i know you have Carpro DNA in you
Old 05-17-15, 08:58 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FSportIS
i would pick Cquartz over Opticoat. I have tried both consumer version. They are very similar but i find Cquartz slicker and glossier with glasslike appearance. Zach will definitely prefer Cquartz over Opticoat as well because he convinced me to try out Carpro products lol haha. Dont say you did not because i know you have Carpro DNA in you
Wouldn't be too quick to say that. CQ has revised their "Finest" coating one too many times. They keep messing with the formula and changing the product for unknown reasons.

There have been a few versions I really liked using, the current one I am not a big fan of at all. I know I am not alone on this as it's pissed off a few other people as well.
Old 05-17-15, 09:18 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Oh you are Carpro Cquartz Finest certified installer like Zach too? Yeah i heard they keep updating so many times too which i dont understand as well lol.

Even Carpro Reload has many version: pre 2014, 2014 and then late 2014 and then 2015. I remember they had some bad batch in 2014.
Old 05-18-15, 09:47 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Zach: In your opinion, are they about equal? Or would you pick one over the other?
For a DIYer, I would recommend 22ple VX3 Signature as I feel it provides good value while also offering great protection, gloss, and ease of use. For even better durability and protection, I highly recommend topping the coating with their VS1 Final Coat every month or so. It is incredibly quick and easy to use, and it offers great slickness and boosts hydrophobic properties. The small bottle will last you a long time as you use a small amount of product per application.

All of the consumer coatings are unique in their chemical make up, as well as their properties once cured, however you can't go wrong with any of them as long as you do the proper prep work. They will all provide good protection and gloss, and they all need to be maintained similarly.

If you're seeking a professional coating, I would highly recommend CQuartz Finest. Again, any coating is going to be a great investment for your car, however the installers associated with Finest are a step above the rest. CarPro is WAY more selective than other brands when it comes to their certified professionals.

-Zach
Old 05-18-15, 09:56 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Zach, how would you rate from 1 to 10 for Cquartz UK vs. 22ple VX3 Signature in the following aspect? Please don't avoid the question by saying it depends or going off topic. I want to know your opinions.
1. Gloss
2. Ease of application
3. protection
4. durability
5. slickness.
Old 05-18-15, 10:28 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Zach, how would you rate from 1 to 10 for Cquartz UK vs. 22ple VX3 Signature in the following aspect? Please don't avoid the question by saying it depends or going off topic. I want to know your opinions.
1. Gloss
2. Ease of application
3. protection
4. durability
5. slickness.
This is quite subjective as one person's view of gloss, ease of use, etc may vary greatly from another person's. In order to provide 1-10 ratings I would need some sort of baseline scale for reference... since there is no baseline for these characteristics I will simply leave my comments below.

Gloss - Both are stunning.
Ease of Use - 22ple is hands down the winner. Very easy to use.
Protection & Durability - Both are great, I had 22ple Vx1 Pro on my personal car for 2.5 years and was very pleased. I have not done any extensive durability testing on my personal cars with UK, however there are claims of 2+ years out there from other professionals.
Slickness - No silica coating will be slick. That is just the way it is. In order to produce a slick surface, you must introduce polymers of some sort. Both 22ple and CQUK are very high in silica content. What you get in the bottle is mostly silica and liquid solvent which evaporates during application leaving the silica behind, and therefore they are not slick to the touch once cured. To produce slickness, these glass coatings must be topped with something like VS1 or Reload... both of which contain polymers for added slickness and water beading.
Old 05-18-15, 10:40 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

So 22ple and Cquartz UK are almost the same in many aspects. 22ple is better with ease of use and Cquartz UK has better price.

I forgot to mention the last aspect: Common problem.

Common problem: 22ple has water spots issue while Cquartz UK has streaking application due to more difficult application. Fair enough?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CQuartz versus 22ple's VX Pro Glass