Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cquartz UK self cleaning property! :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 10:21 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cquartz UK self cleaning property! :)

Cquartz UK self cleaning property is excellent!

I have been on vacation for almost 1 month, my car was parked outside on the street 24/7 for 4 weeks. Here is what I saw when I come back:

I have been driving in the rain for few days and the car is clean and shinny again. Note that the car still has not been washed for more than 4 weeks now.

Look at the rain water beading.

Old 05-15-15, 10:36 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Awesome example of how paint coatings really do keep your vehicle looking cleaner for longer periods of time and require much less effort to clean!

Thanks for sharing, Kevin.
Old 05-15-15, 10:47 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I was very skeptical about all the fancy paint coating claims until I applied it, experimented it myself. This example of self cleaning above really WOW me and I have to share with the community. Feel free to include this real life example in your paint coating encyclopedia articles if you can.

This is actually the LONGEST time ever (almost 5 weeks) that I have not washed my car. I'm going to wash it tomorrow to prepare for the Lexus of Westminister car show on Sunday
Old 05-15-15, 08:24 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Awesome example of how paint coatings really do keep your vehicle looking cleaner for longer periods of time and require much less effort to clean!

Then how is my mom's 97 Avalon which has not been waxed or washed in 4 years look cleaner then my car that I both coated sealed and waxed MANY times religiously over the years? Both cars sit outside and get driven equal amount.
Old 05-15-15, 08:44 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

WOW!

This is amazing... I'll be getting a condo in the new year with outdoor only parking & no immediate water supply [sucky, i know.......]

This would be a great solution to those that love and enjoy cleaning their cars - but cannot have immediate means to do so!

Thanks for the real-world review.
Old 05-16-15, 06:20 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Then how is my mom's 97 Avalon which has not been waxed or washed in 4 years look cleaner then my car that I both coated sealed and waxed MANY times religiously over the years? Both cars sit outside and get driven equal amount.
That doesn't make sense... a vehicle with proper protection will repel more dirt/grime than a vehicle without protection. That has been proven. I have done real world tests on my own vehicles for my own personal testing, and I have seen the expected results. Some protection resists dirt and contamination better than others, but any protection should resist dirt better than no protection at all.

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
WOW!

This is amazing... I'll be getting a condo in the new year with outdoor only parking & no immediate water supply [sucky, i know.......]

This would be a great solution to those that love and enjoy cleaning their cars - but cannot have immediate means to do so!

Thanks for the real-world review.
Sounds like you may want to consider coating your vehicle before you move so it is nicely protected... then you may consider rinseless washing at your new condo since you will not have access to a hose hookup.
Old 05-16-15, 08:35 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

That doesn't make sense... a vehicle with proper protection will repel more dirt/grime than a vehicle without protection. That has been proven. I have done real world tests on my own vehicles for my own personal testing, and I have seen the expected results. Some protection resists dirt and contamination better than others, but any protection should resist dirt better than no protection at all.

Sounds like you may want to consider coating your vehicle before you move so it is nicely protected... then you may consider rinseless washing at your new condo since you will not have access to a hose hookup.
I am not joking Zach. Her car has no water spots, no swirls, maybe some light contamination. But it's first hand proof for me that not doing jack sht to your car is ultimately the best thing you can do if you really want to preserve the finish. Aside from removing the occasional bird sht, there's really no need for any of this stuff for a daily driver.
Old 05-16-15, 09:41 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not joking Zach. Her car has no water spots, no swirls, maybe some light contamination. But it's first hand proof for me that not doing jack sht to your car is ultimately the best thing you can do if you really want to preserve the finish. Aside from removing the occasional bird sht, there's really no need for any of this stuff for a daily driver.
Try that in Vegas or in Texas and her car would have clear coat failure. It's really not the best thing everywhere.
Old 05-16-15, 10:09 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NickTee
Try that in Vegas or in Texas and her car would have clear coat failure. It's really not the best thing everywhere.
You're telling me that waxing a car prevents clear coat failure?

You do realize that is not true right?
Old 05-16-15, 10:21 AM
jv6792
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what color is her car? if its a light color like white or gray you may not be able to see the imperfections in the paint or the damage done to the clear coat from sun rays and the environment.
Old 05-16-15, 10:46 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You're telling me that waxing a car prevents clear coat failure?

You do realize that is not true right?
Wax protects the clear coat from outside elements, so it is true. Waxes may not have UV protection, and if they do it's negligible, but it still provides protection to the coat itself and that's the whole point. The clear coat has UV inhibitors in it.

Last edited by NickTee; 05-16-15 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-16-15, 12:48 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Without any protection, the clear coat will fail due to UV sun rays and other environment factors. My family Camry has never been washed nor detailed in 13 years and clear coat failed., please see my other thread.

Also, that car has very little swirl and scatch simply because the paint does not get touched through washing or drying but the paint is still heavily contaminated and the clear coat still fail.

you are right about wax which does not offer that much of a protection. i personally think wax is outdated tech but paint coating is a more advanced and proven good paint protection. please note that wax, sealant and paint coating are 3 different technology. my post is directly mentioning about Cquartz UK which is paint coating, not wax.

Paint coating like Cquartz UK acts as a secondary sacrifying layer to protect the clar coat from failing. Cquartz does have better UV protection, better scratch resistace, more gloss, more slick and better beading sheeting water ability so it in fact protect the clear coat.

i hope my answer shed some light to you 97-sc300. ultimately, you can choose whatever way you do to your car because it is your car. Peace brother.

Last edited by FSportIS; 05-16-15 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-16-15, 10:45 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Without any protection, the clear coat will fail due to UV sun rays and other environment factors. My family Camry has never been washed nor detailed in 13 years and clear coat failed., please see my other thread.

Also, that car has very little swirl and scatch simply because the paint does not get touched through washing or drying but the paint is still heavily contaminated and the clear coat still fail.

you are right about wax which does not offer that much of a protection. i personally think wax is outdated tech but paint coating is a more advanced and proven good paint protection. please note that wax, sealant and paint coating are 3 different technology. my post is directly mentioning about Cquartz UK which is paint coating, not wax.

Paint coating like Cquartz UK acts as a secondary sacrifying layer to protect the clar coat from failing. Cquartz does have better UV protection, better scratch resistace, more gloss, more slick and better beading sheeting water ability so it in fact protect the clear coat.

i hope my answer shed some light to you 97-sc300. ultimately, you can choose whatever way you do to your car because it is your car. Peace brother.
Thanks. I know the difference between a wax and coating. I work at a detail shop... all we use is CQ Finest, OC Pro, and about a dozen other coatings.

However there isn't, and you cannot argue this, any proof that waxes or coatings prolong the life of clearcoat simply because coating technology has not been out long enough to do this and the idea of a wax preventing CC failure is just laughable.

Case in point, I purchased brand new B pillars for my ES300 directly from Lexus a couple of years back. The old ones had clearcoat failure on the top half that sees more sun exposure. Like most Lexus pillars they are gloss black.

I applied a paint coating on them immediately after the install and have waxed them once a month afterwards. I have a garage so I was able to do this even in the winter months.

Not two years later, the clearcoat on them failed pretty badly. I was very disappointed. Like you, I thought the constant maintenance and attention will help, but it was a big let down at the end.

I don't live in a sunny state, the car is parked in the shade or garage most of the time, but this still happened.

Now they are plastidipped matte black and I could not be happier.

Last edited by 97-SC300; 05-16-15 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-16-15, 11:06 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

That is because it's a white car. Try it with obsidian black :/ lol

Looks good kevin
Old 05-17-15, 07:34 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by popping
That is because it's a white car. Try it with obsidian black :/ lol
Very true... my wife's car is jet black... it is dirty again before I even finish washing it LOL

man do they look good when properly cleaned, but man it is a lot of work to maintain. I don't even try to keep up with it on her car. It gets washed once every month or two.

Quick Reply: Cquartz UK self cleaning property! :)