Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

? on Waxing Your RX350

Old 05-10-15, 12:42 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ? on Waxing Your RX350

If all RX350's have a clear coat finish, why should we bother to wax them??

And worse, if the wrong wax with abrasives is used, to could damage the finish.

Your Opinions Please!
Old 05-10-15, 01:33 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you ever seen what a car looks like when the clear coat starts to fade? That's why you use a wax, to protect the clear coat from UV rays and outside elements. Furthermore, unless you are embedding sand into the wax, there won't be any abrasives that could damage the finish in the wax.
Old 05-10-15, 01:36 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Standard Protection products do not contain abrasives, however you must use the right applicators and towels during the application and removal process to avoid damaging your paint.

Your clear coat is vulnerable and environmental contaminated will decrease the life of your clear coat drastically. Waxes, sealants, and paint coatings are all products that protect your clear coat. These are an important part of preserving your vehicles paint system and must be reapplied as needed for optimal protection. Properly protected paint will also make your vehicle easier to maintain.

I can go into much greater detail if you're interested.

-Zach
Old 05-10-15, 02:22 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Standard Protection products do not contain abrasives, however you must use the right applicators and towels during the application and removal process to avoid damaging your paint.

Your clear coat is vulnerable and environmental contaminated will decrease the life of your clear coat drastically. Waxes, sealants, and paint coatings are all products that protect your clear coat. These are an important part of preserving your vehicles paint system and must be reapplied as needed for optimal protection. Properly protected paint will also make your vehicle easier to maintain.

-Zach
Great reply Zach, and it's not that I don't wax my RX350, it's just that the term clear coat is a protective coating and I feel we all have to keep abrasives away from it's surface in order to keep
the shine.

This is a puzzle to me because I know of cars/trucks that are 12-15 years old that NEVER seen any wax and believe it or not still looks great.
Old 05-10-15, 02:49 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Because **** happens - from the sky's thy seeth above thy headeth - the descendants of theropod dinosaurs layeth their excretions upon thy vehicle and destroy thy paint
Old 05-10-15, 08:01 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4

-Zach
what Z said...

Originally Posted by rayaans
Because **** happens - from the sky's thy seeth above thy headeth - the descendants of theropod dinosaurs layeth their excretions upon thy vehicle and destroy thy paint
real talk...
Old 05-11-15, 12:04 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paint consists of 3 layers: Prime - Base and then Clear Coat.

Clear Coat serves 2 functions:
1. Protects the Base like you said.
2. Look glossy and wet.

But it is prone for mother nature attack such as UV suns, rains, bird bombs, dinosaur **** and such.

Wax/Sealant/Paint Coating is then created to protect the vulnerable Clear Coat to preserve and further enhance its gloss and shine.

Therefore, go wax/seal your paint before bird s.hits on you.....r paint
Old 05-11-15, 12:18 PM
PondScum
Driver

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
Great reply Zach, and it's not that I don't wax my RX350, it's just that the term clear coat is a protective coating and I feel we all have to keep abrasives away from it's surface in order to keep
the shine.

This is a puzzle to me because I know of cars/trucks that are 12-15 years old that NEVER seen any wax and believe it or not still looks great.
You should consider yourself lucky then. The statement above suggests that you are not sensitive at all to swirls/fading/loss of reflectivity and gloss, and you do not need to maintain your vehicle the same way those who are much more sensitive to their vehicle's appearance. This will save you money and give you a lot more free time. Like I said, consider yourself lucky.
Old 05-11-15, 12:42 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on PondScum!

Once you find swirl, you will never be the same. You will waste more of your time finding more swirl and spending more money polishing it out and more and more and more and moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee money trying out all kinds of products to keep it swirl free.

Bottom line is, you are LUCKY NOT to know what swirl is. It is VERY EXPENSIVE hobby!