Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

non abrasive polish

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 03:13 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default non abrasive polish

need a very good non abrasive polish... preferably without gloss enhancers etc... any recommendations??? thanx in advance. want to tighten up the existing coat of OGC before i add another coat of OGC...
Old 05-07-15, 04:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,298 Posts

There is no such thing, polish has to have abrasive action or it won't do anything. Now if you mean a wax/coating there are many many such products out there.
Old 05-07-15, 07:12 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Sounds like you're seeking something more like a paintwork cleanser... except all paintwork cleansers tend to have gloss enhancers in them, and are likely to contain very fine abrasives.

I'm not sure I can recommend anything that I wouldn't fear would possibly effect the original coating :/
Old 05-07-15, 07:33 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
There is no such thing, polish has to have abrasive action or it won't do anything. Now if you mean a wax/coating there are many many such products out there.
no, not a wax... I am at a fork in the road.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Sounds like you're seeking something more like a paintwork cleanser... except all paintwork cleansers tend to have gloss enhancers in them, and are likely to contain very fine abrasives.

I'm not sure I can recommend anything that I wouldn't fear would possibly effect the original coating :/
yeah, everything I've researched has been paint cleaners... I have one by Sonax in the garage but it will leave some protection behind... Don't want that. Victoria paint cleaner, on the car pro site, or optimum finish... Rupes has a polish/gel with a white top... All I need is to remove some (3 coats) optimum Opti seal without damaging the coat of OGC underneath... Dawn maybe??? Or a strong dilution of CG wash and clear or Citrus wash??? P21s, or Pinnacle, Klasse AIO???

Last edited by sydtoosic; 05-07-15 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 08:24 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I would do a foam with a heavy concentration of citrus wash mixed with a little apc... Then rinse... Then 2 bucket wash with citrus wash... Then rinse... Then iron x... Then rinse... Then another quick wash... Then dry... Clay if needed... Then eraser or alcohol wipe down should be squeaky clean after that.

Why the need for additional gloss coat? Just for the heck of it?
Old 05-07-15, 08:56 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Didn't you just put that coat on now your topping it off again?
Old 05-08-15, 10:20 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I would do a foam with a heavy concentration of citrus wash mixed with a little apc... Then rinse... Then 2 bucket wash with citrus wash... Then rinse... Then iron x... Then rinse... Then another quick wash... Then dry... Clay if needed... Then eraser or alcohol wipe down should be squeaky clean after that.

Why the need for additional gloss coat? Just for the heck of it?
I was trying to avoid all that... Thanx Z... but yeah I guess for the heck of it. Being that you put it that way, I will now wait until the coating begins to degrade... That would make a lot more sense. Thanx Z... Was just thinking maybe there would be added protection with another coat of OGC... Now I believe it would be a waste of product... Wife has a Dodge Journey I can start on

Originally Posted by laobo979
Didn't you just put that coat on now your topping it off again?
yeah it's about 3 weeks old... And no I will not be topping it off again... Changed my mind, will start on the wife's car.