Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Interior Cleaner for Lower Door

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 01:04 PM
Daniel2311
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior Cleaner for Lower Door

Hello, new Lexus owner here, IS350. I am looking for a product that can remove shoe scuffs from the interior doors (plastic areas). I've noticed people getting in and out of the passenger seat tend to leave scuff marks. Would something like Meguiar's 'quick interior detailer cleaner' work?

Thanks in advance, Dan
Old 05-07-15, 02:11 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately, you can't remove the scuffs since they are physical marring of the plastic surface. The only thing you can do is clean the area of dirt/dust to make the scuffs less visible. Any interior detailer will do the trick; however, buy one that provides a matte finish rather than gloss. Gloss finished tend to make the scuffs more visible.
Old 05-07-15, 04:17 PM
Daniel2311
Rookie

Ok got it, thanks VTsuckah!
Old 05-08-15, 11:14 AM
PondScum
Driver

When I think "scuff mark", I think marks left by dark rubber and leather shoe soles. There's a colored deposit, and whatever physical marring may have occurred can be made less visible once the dark mark is removed.

For these I use something stronger than interior detailer and microfiber. OPC with a terry towel, and a soft but stiff bristle brush (like the one that comes in the Leather Masters kits) if necessary.
Old 05-09-15, 05:47 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Great responses guys!

These 2 are right on the money... to summarize - if the plastic has truly been damaged (scratched, scuffed, whatever), then there isn't a simply way to repair it. You can do your best to hide it with an interior dressing like 303 Aerospace Protectant which will help to darken the area (if your panels are black... if they are tan, I am not sure what to recommend).

On the other hand, if the plastic itself is not damage, and it is just material transfer from a rubber shoe sole, then the rubber marks should come off with some cleaning. I'd recommend something like Einszett Plastic Deep Cleaner paired with a MF towel or a brush depending on the texture of the plastic.
Old 05-09-15, 05:59 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by PondScum
When I think "scuff mark", I think marks left by dark rubber and leather shoe soles. There's a colored deposit, and whatever physical marring may have occurred can be made less visible once the dark mark is removed.

For these I use something stronger than interior detailer and microfiber. OPC with a terry towel, and a soft but stiff bristle brush (like the one that comes in the Leather Masters kits) if necessary.
What does OPC stand for???
Old 05-09-15, 06:06 AM
gemini6kl
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Regular Window cleaner works good for me for any dirt marks on any part of the car with tan plastic trim. I spray it then wipe with a wet microfiber cloth. All marks come right off it works really great in my opinion.
Old 05-09-15, 06:23 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by swfla
What does OPC stand for???
Optimum Power Clean
Old 05-10-15, 09:02 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gemini6kl
Regular Window cleaner works good for me for any dirt marks on any part of the car with tan plastic trim. I spray it then wipe with a wet microfiber cloth. All marks come right off it works really great in my opinion.
Define "regular window cleaner." Some of those contain ammonia and alcohol, which are damaging to plastics, while others use different ingredients. Regardless, I would use 303 or another vinyl/rubber cleaner for the surface.
Old 05-10-15, 10:20 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used Meguires Quick Detailer and Areospace 303 to seal with excellent results.

Found that the plastic on the bottom of the doors on the GS350 is different than the rest of the plastic on the doors (seems slightly softer).

When I first cleaned the door kick panel with Meguiar's Quick Detailer it seemed like it was leaving streaks and softening the plastic (unlike the rest of the plastic on the door panel), so I didn't rub it down too hard. But as soon as it dried it looked fine and once the 303 was applied, looked brand new again.
Old 05-12-15, 12:52 PM
gemini6kl
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Regular window clean I mean windex glass cleaner . It gets the plastic spotless no matter the stain . I know Some may say we'll it contains this chemical al or that chemical thts bad but it has worked for me with no issues for many years. Just be sure to spray it in a fine mist and then wipe it off with a wet cloth .
Old 05-12-15, 03:28 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gemini6kl
Regular window clean I mean windex glass cleaner . It gets the plastic spotless no matter the stain . I know Some may say we'll it contains this chemical al or that chemical thts bad but it has worked for me with no issues for many years. Just be sure to spray it in a fine mist and then wipe it off with a wet cloth .
This is poor advice. With due respect, it may work for you but it's not a good method. I can spray silicone-based substances on weatherstripping for years and it will work, but it is still drying out the seals and is increasing the rate at which they fail.
There are many products designed specifically for this type of material, they have been mentioned in this thread, and they have so many uses that there is no reason not to get a bottle. It's not like a product that you use once and have sit on the shelf for years.

Last edited by NickTee; 05-13-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-12-15, 07:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

What is "oil-based silicone"?
Old 05-13-15, 01:18 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
What is "oil-based silicone"?
I assume he was referring to silicone based dressings that leave wet, but greasy looking appearances. Many consumer based dressings for interiors and tires contain silicone because the general population perceives a shiny rubber of vinyl surface as "detailed", when the reality of it is these products are not the best choice for maintaining your vehicle.

Water based dressings will help to nourish the plastic, vinyl or rubber instead of potentially harming them.