Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

When Can A New Car Be Waxed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-03, 07:29 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When Can A New Car Be Waxed?

Guys;
I have an 03 LS and SC. Previously I had always waited about 6 months for the paint to "cure" before waxing a new car.
The Lexus dealer said I could wax both cars right away and no "curing" time was necessary.
So my question is , can I wax the cars immediately or should I wait a few months before waxing?
Your opinions are appreciated and valued.
Ron
Old 03-24-03, 07:46 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wax away, ron.

Today's automotive paints are baked on and are fully cured when they leave the factory.

I drove my RX home, took a few pics, washed and waxed it, then took a few more pics.
Old 03-24-03, 09:25 PM
Guitarman

Default Seconded

They're ready when they leave the factory.

Don't forget to clay, you probably have some rail dust on it, even if you can't see it.
Old 03-27-03, 07:06 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'LL START WAXING TOMORROW!

Thanks for the input guys. You have confirmed what the dealer told me. It's just that I like to CONFIRM whatever the delaer/service manager tell me with owners on this site. I just trust all you guys more than the delaer.
Thanks again.
Ron
Old 03-28-03, 12:32 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to be a firm believer in letting finishes fully cure....but after getting a new car, I'm convinced that you SHOULD wax your new car ASAP. It probably just spent a number of weeks sitting around or being moved around lots anyway.....although i do wonder about how long each layer of paint/clearcoat in the process was allowed to "breathe"...or am i just imagining things in my head?
Old 03-28-03, 05:32 PM
Guitarman

Rena, factory paint and body shop paint are 2 completely different animals, in chemical makeup and in how they are applied and cured.

The factory paint is electrostatically applied (+ and - charged body and paint) and before anything is added to the bare metal, it's baked at 250 to 450 degrees to kick the chemical reaction into high gear. Body shop paint can't be baked this way, because the car has glass, rubber, plastic, leather etc. that would be damaged under those temps, so the body shop can only hope to speed up the curing process a bit and bakes at much lower temps (30 days iis the norm before waxing is recommended) which increases the curing time and outgassing of solvents. Factory basecoat is actually water based too, and body shop is solvent based, and that's just one of the chemical differences.

The high heat bake is why it's ready to wax by the time it hits the dealer lot.

Kind of like the difference between putting a wet sheet in a dryer or out on a clothesline.