Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CQuartz finest/USB

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-15, 12:00 PM
Flilady
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CQuartz finest/USB

Has anyone applied CQuartz finest specifically on the USB? Previous threads on this subject left some confusion as to whether or not this could be applied to the self-restoring coat Lexus indicates the RCF has. I found a CQuartz finest installer that is going to get some more info on this, but has anyone applied it to their RCF?
Old 05-03-15, 01:30 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI
I have not applied it since I got the the following from the rep that sells cQuartz after asking the same questions re Lexus Self Restoring paint. Mine is Infared.

Corey@CarPro-US.com Corey@CarPro-US.com Hi Rick, I am somewhat familiar with this coating. I would advise that for as long as it is self healing and doing as claimed I would use anything more than a product like CarPro Reload (a sealer not a coating). It is not a particularly easy surface to polish and in fact I expect Lexus would advise against any abrasive polish whatsoever but you would be best to consult them as results seem to be mixed.
The recommendations by Lexus do not imply an issue with using a coating like ours or a sealant. Either should be fine BUT I would first determine if the paint is working properly and self healing. If it is in new shape and is indeed acting as it should and as is advertised then I personally wouldn’t coat it. The coating on top could then be marred and that marring visible. I would in this case use something like Reload which is a water based sealant. If the self healing coat is not acting as advertised and is swirled or not in great condition then I would have an experienced detailer do a small test spot somewhere to see that they can indeed polish it to correct it and then coat it.
Old 05-04-15, 02:59 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...23248247721274

I just did this, I asked him about the CQuartz and he said it's not bad but I think a wrap is better. Again this guy is one of the best and has done several million dollar cars before. I would do this before the CQuartz thing.
Old 05-04-15, 03:28 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd

I just did this, I asked him about the CQuartz and he said it's not bad but I think a wrap is better. Again this guy is one of the best and has done several million dollar cars before. I would do this before the CQuartz thing.
Several million?? That's one hell of a lot of cars.
Old 05-04-15, 03:57 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fysisist
Several million?? That's one hell of a lot of cars.
Ya he's done a 918 and a LaFerrari, he has pics on his Facebook.
Old 05-04-15, 05:37 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd

Paint Protection Film and a paint coating like CQuartz Finest are completely different products that do not fill the same role.

PPF is meant to protect against small impacts (ie rock chips, bumps, etc). Paint coatings provide a sacrificial barrier that help to protect against environmental contamination such as dirt, bird droppings, bug splatter, etc. NOT impact.

With that being said, other manufacturers have attempted to deliver scratch resistant or self healing type paints and haven't had much success. I am not personally familiar with the Lexus iteration of self healing paint, but based on others, I would assume this will scratch and swirl overtime. If my assumptions are correct and the self healing properties are sub-par (which I hope I am wrong!), the paint will then need to be corrected anyway and therefore I would not at all be concerned about what type of protection (wax, sealant or coating) you apply on top.

I'd be interested to learn more about the Lexus self healing paint though... anyone have any specifics on it?

-Zach
Old 05-04-15, 06:22 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Will if Lexus has self healing paint they sold me a lemon lol. Never herads of paint healing paint myself but coating has it benefits to any car.
Old 05-04-15, 06:34 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by laobo979
Will if Lexus has self healing paint they sold me a lemon lol. Never herads of paint healing paint myself but coating has it benefits to any car.
RCF and some of the LS models included this specialized paint.
Old 05-04-15, 06:52 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
RCF and some of the LS models included this specialized paint.
I see Zach I've seen brand new RCF get paint correction on IG a lot. Well lite polish before getting coating I should say. Which they do show dealer installed swirls/ lite scratches.
Old 05-04-15, 07:02 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by laobo979
I see Zach I've seen brand new RCF get paint correction on IG a lot. Well lite polish before getting coating I should say. Which they do show dealer installed swirls/ lite scratches.
Yep... I have seen RCF's with defects as well... which is why I mentioned that I suspected the self healing properties may not live up to their claimed abilities... but again, I don't know enough about the technology to fully understand it.
Old 05-04-15, 07:30 PM
Flilady
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the RC RC-F owners manual:

Self-restoring coat
The vehicle body has a self-restoring coating
that is resistant to small surface scratches caused in a car wash etc.
● The coating lasts for 5 to 8 years from when
the vehicle is delivered from the plant.
● The restoration time differs depending on the depth of the scratch and outside temper-
ature. The restoration time may become shorter
when the coating is warmed by applying
warm water.

Application of coatings to the vehicle body (vehicles with CFRP parts)

Do not apply any kind of coating to the vehicle body as doing so may damage the paint
or reduce its durability
Old 05-04-15, 07:38 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Flilady
From the RC RC-F owners manual:

Self-restoring coat
The vehicle body has a self-restoring coating
that is resistant to small surface scratches caused in a car wash etc.
● The coating lasts for 5 to 8 years from when
the vehicle is delivered from the plant.
● The restoration time differs depending on the depth of the scratch and outside temper-
ature. The restoration time may become shorter
when the coating is warmed by applying
warm water.

Application of coatings to the vehicle body (vehicles with CFRP parts)

Do not apply any kind of coating to the vehicle body as doing so may damage the paint
or reduce its durability
that last part seems interesting to me... I cannot think of any reasonable explanation as to how a paint coating (Cquartz Finest, opti-coat, or similar) may damage paint or reduce the life of the paint. They have been proven to do exactly the opposite.

I imagine that is just to try to keep you from messing with the paint in any way.
Old 05-04-15, 07:51 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

I say keep an eye on the car. If you see scratches let us know if it self restore or not. If it does I'll bring back to Lexus for them to explain it.
Old 05-04-15, 09:12 PM
Kenthy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Saturday I decided to protect my paint with CS-II Titanium coating. So far, I like the gloss, the shine, and "dust resistance." www.CS2USA.com

Last edited by Kenthy; 05-04-15 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-05-15, 11:30 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Self healing clear coat is a joke... Don't believe the hype.... I have an LS and I didn't think it existed anymore... Apply the CQF coating and call it a day...

Quick Reply: CQuartz finest/USB