Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Removing scratches from plastic

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 01:55 AM
DimaO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing scratches from plastic

Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster

My issue is: I've got some swirls (only visible when the sun is shining) in my RX (2011) on the plastics with the A/C controls (and the clock).
I'm talking about this part:
Name:  UewEBti.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  9.2 KB

Any tips/tricks to remove scratches from there? I tried a light finishing polish very lightly by hand, but it didn't really help a lot.

Maybe some other products that can fill the scratches instead of actually getting them away?
Old 05-01-15, 05:43 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome, DimaO

I use Meguiar's PlastX™ Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish for correcting plastic parts.

I use this with a foam applicator pad or with a soft cloth. May take multiple applications and vigorous but gentle rubbing to bring up the shine. This is a DAT product (Diminishing Abrasive Technology) where the abrasives in the product break down finer and finer as it is rubbed. Rub until the product turns to a clear liquid but not until it dries.

Polishing plastic can be difficult as plastic is typically soft and easily marred. A light touch is needed with multiple applications. Good lighting is also essential.

Last edited by jfelbab; 05-01-15 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-01-15, 05:59 AM
DimaO
Driver School Candidate

Ok, thanks. I'll try to buy it. Unfortunately, Meg's products are quite expensive here in Europe.

Any idea if PB's Professional Polish would work as good (although, it doesn't have abrasives)?
Old 05-01-15, 06:11 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

You need abrasives to remove defects... unless your only goal is to fill them in.
Old 06-01-15, 10:59 AM
DimaO
Driver School Candidate

Just quick update:
I used Poorboy's professional polish and it worked great. For some reason it just works, while not being abraisive. I realize that it probably just cleaned out the scratches so you wouln't see them anymore. But good enough for me
Old 06-04-15, 06:48 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.poorboysworld.com/professional-polish.htm

Professional Polish is the best and most versatile polish available. It is an awesome Paint/Clearcoat cleaner, Metal polish, and super on Glass, Plastic, Headlight Covers, and Plexiglass. Professional Polish is body shop safe and contains no Wax or Silicones. It's perfect as the final preparation before application of a wax or sealant.

Such a confusing description but they called it a polish. Glad it worked for you though
Old 06-04-15, 07:29 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by DimaO
Just quick update:
I used Poorboy's professional polish and it worked great. For some reason it just works, while not being abraisive. I realize that it probably just cleaned out the scratches so you wouln't see them anymore. But good enough for me
Curious why you state is has no abrasives? Do they mention that somewhere?

I haven't ever used the product, but reading through the description on their site and many others, I see no mention of it being an abrasive-free product. It is silicone and wax free, so that implies it will not do any major filling, therefore it must be removing defects and therefore must contain abrasives... as the term "polish" would imply.
Old 06-04-15, 08:11 AM
DimaO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Curious why you state is has no abrasives? Do they mention that somewhere?

I haven't ever used the product, but reading through the description on their site and many others, I see no mention of it being an abrasive-free product. It is silicone and wax free, so that implies it will not do any major filling, therefore it must be removing defects and therefore must contain abrasives... as the term "polish" would imply.
It says so on the bottle. "non-abraisive formula".

I've used it in the mean time on other things. It's a really awesome thing. It's a chemical polish -> instead of microparticles, it contains chemicals to polish things.
It actually works great as an alternative for the Langka Paint chip remover too. But also on other plastics and "chrome". So really a wonderful product.

Had a lot of doubt and thought it wouldn't work, but it did!
Old 06-04-15, 08:26 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Very interesting.