Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Carwash

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 08:04 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
How did you avoid putting scratches or swirls in your paint? If you've touched the surface - then you've scratched it...
otay you got me... I meant to say I have no swirls and one scratch that is only visible when you squint out of one eye at an angle... And yes I do know that whatever comes in contact with your paint will scratch it... I use coatings on my paint so as I have stated earlier I have no swirls and one scratch... lubricity is your friend, when drying and using QDs...

Last edited by sydtoosic; 05-04-15 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-05-15, 05:48 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Do your homework, be nosy and go around (when possible) and see which hand wash would suit you... Never take your car to a car wash, never let the dealer wash your car... I have not been to a car wash in years... I have no scratches or swirls in my paint. Watch and see how they wash cars, ask questions etc. and if you are comfortable with what you see, then and only then do you trust them to wash your car.
Definitely need to be nosy. It's good for the cars I was lazy once and I paid the price for it. The car was dirty and I was tired to wash. I went into this handwash place. I did look around to see what cars would go there. Saw couple nice German sedans along with an S. Big mistake. The next day I saw scratches all over the places. This car is about to be turned in or it would drive me nut. I just leave it dirty so it won't bother me as much
Old 05-06-15, 02:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by popping
This x1000000 I looked at my OB gs and it got swirl marks lol
Ugh......soooo true. I rue the day I bought an OB LS. That is, until I polish it out and get the ten-mile deep shine which I get to enjoy for maybe a few days......
Old 06-21-15, 03:19 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Simply put anytime something comes in contact with your paint there is a chance of scratching or damaging your paint. Those drive through car washes are not good at all for your paint. The car in front of you could have driven hours down a muddy road before going through the car wash. After he/she gets the mud off the car it's your turn to go in after. The brushes most likely will still have plenty of dirt, sand and other hard objects plastered all over the brushes. When your car goes through its essentially getting hit with sandpaper and causing scratches in your clear coat. Many of the operators of these machines want your car looking good so they use inexpensive, harsh & strong products. They clean your vehicle very well but also cause damage at the same time. Quite a few of them add filler chemicals that make your cars finish look better than it really is. After a proper wash at home that strips these fillers you will see the true condition of your paint.

It's a matter of your personal choice and how you want to take care if your vehicle. Even the hand wash places you have to watch out for. Sometimes these guys like to use harsh chemicals in spray bottles to clean wheels. The product makes it easy to clean break dust off the rims and speeds up the process to move onto the next vehicle quickly. Only downside is they will literally strip the clear coat off your wheels. I've seen this happen to a new vehicle in just over a years time on my moms car.

Your best bet is to find somebody who knows how to properly wash a vehicle and knows what products to use. Stay away from the volume business model car wash. If they are running 100 cars through the place in an hour they are NOT in business to clean and care for your car. They are in business to clean & $$$$$$$ from you. They will get the most inexpensive products that will do the job to maximize their bottom line. As with most things you get what you pay for. I recommend getting in touch with a local detailer and see if they also do maintenance car washes. At the very least they might have a lead on who you can go to for good service if they don't wash cars. IE not somebody who will use harsh chemicals and fillers on your car.
Old 06-22-15, 08:00 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathanz
i never take my cars to MACHINE WASH, that's NO NO NO and NO. machine wash is the worst you can do to your cars, you'll get a lot of light scratches and marks.
+1, RULE # 1: Never use the car wash, at least not on a car like an ISF.
Old 06-24-15, 01:36 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"lubricity is your friend"

True in so many things! (couldn't resist)

How are you, Syd? Been crazy busy here, haven't been on CL much at all.
Old 06-24-15, 09:47 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by harleymark
"lubricity is your friend"

True in so many things! (couldn't resist)

How are you, Syd? Been crazy busy here, haven't been on CL much at all.
hey, how you been old friend... i'm good, still around from time to time. been extra busy. may stop in but not always leave comments or posts. waiting for the 16/17 LS to drop...most women are self lubricating, depends on if you know what you're doing...
Old 06-26-15, 10:29 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read the owners manual on my new 3is for cleaning your car and carwashes.
It says that the car comes with self healing coat from factory that will get rid of light scratches from automatic car washes. states it lasts 4-6 years from factory.

seems like paint technology has come a long way now? when i first bought the car off the dealership washed the car for me while i was doing paper work and didnt even know until car came out. it has no scratches...

i mostly wash my car myself because i love it. but in a few years i might take advantage of the lifetime free car washes my dealer offers.
Old 06-28-15, 09:29 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sexis350
Just read the owners manual on my new 3is for cleaning your car and carwashes.
It says that the car comes with self healing coat from factory that will get rid of light scratches from automatic car washes. states it lasts 4-6 years from factory.

seems like paint technology has come a long way now? when i first bought the car off the dealership washed the car for me while i was doing paper work and didnt even know until car came out. it has no scratches...

i mostly wash my car myself because i love it. but in a few years i might take advantage of the lifetime free car washes my dealer offers.
don't believe the hype... my LS supposedly has SHCC... i have a coating and layers of sealant on my car. SHCC