Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Road Rash Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 01:51 PM
cynalan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Rash Repair

My 350 has a case of road rash, i.e. several stone chips on the hood. I also have a number of scratches on the doors from people who don't give a d**m about protecting other people's property.

Has anyone had any experience with self repair kits. I recently became aware of a product in the UK called ChipEx. I have also seen references to another product called Halfords. Has anyone tried these or other products. If so, what were the results. Going to an auto body shop to have this done is quite expensive. I know a home repair may not be perfect but it should mask the white primer underneath the dark grey finishing coat.
Old 04-23-15, 09:39 PM
sgmbab
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience dr.colorchip is one of the best kit you can get to repair the stone chips. As for the scratches you have to polish those out.
Old 04-23-15, 11:01 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I second that recommendation for Dr. ColorChip ....
https://www.drcolorchip.com/

Haven't needed it on my Lexus because it's got a clear film protector, but I've used it on other vehicles. Easy and effective.
Old 04-24-15, 12:02 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

I'm one of those that will rather take shrapnel than a scratch on my ride, but OK, it is not that bad, there are a lot of vids that will talk you through chip/scratch repair and if you have buckets full of patience you can do a pro job.
I agree with litzdog's idea about the film protector. Lexus paintwork is imo of a very high qualty as far as final finish is concerned. No, wonder if you look at the paint facilities at their plants and that makes it very difficult, if not impossible to bring it back to what it was. The adage: Prevention is better than cure is definitely applicable here.
Tip: Never park too near another car, chances are some inbred and his/her kids will throw a door open against your car.
Old 04-27-15, 10:03 AM
cynalan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestion of Dr. Chip repair. I will check it out. In hind sight now, I wish I had chosen to put on the clear bra to protect the hood. Oh well, that ship sailed a long time ago.
Old 04-28-15, 01:28 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cynalan
Thanks for the suggestion of Dr. Chip repair. I will check it out. In hind sight now, I wish I had chosen to put on the clear bra to protect the hood. Oh well, that ship sailed a long time ago.
Recently bought door sill scuff plates for my new Ford Ranger T6 truck (yes we get them here) from Ford dealer. Paid through my neck, but afterwards had regrets for sticking them on. Why all the prevention for a few scratches, I actually prefer the truck without the scuff plates, but if I should try to take it off, there will be much more than just a scratch left by a careless passenger's boot. Two-way tape with which it is supplied has aircraft type of adhesive and removing anything held down by it, will probably take all the paint with it. But OK luckily a hood protector is easy to take off, if you don't like it.
So don't worry too much about the ship that has sailed, sometimes one just make more trouble by boarding it.