Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Wax for Black car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-15, 10:15 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by PondScum
"Also, GLARE®Plus + PROFESSIONAL POLISH creates a paint surface so smooth and slick that the Air-Drag Coefficient of your vehicle will be significantly reduced, actually making your vehicle more aerodynamic."

Legit products do not need to make such outlandish claims. I've not read hype like that on the sites of say, Car Pro, Optimum, 22PLE, Gtechniq, etc.
Very true. Their sales approach sounds like a gypsy scam. They are also not very friendly when I call and have questions about their product. I bought it per recommendation from a buddy of mine who is very particular about his cars. He gets very good results with it on his vehicles and knows how to use their product. When I use the product I can't get the results my friend gets on his vehicles. I'm into it for $93 for 4 bottles and not going to buy anything else for now. I'm tired of experimenting with different products for now.
Old 05-21-15, 10:57 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

A good rule of thumb in the detailing world is to use what is tried and true... there are TONS of smaller companies like this that survive by luring in customers with their fancy marketing and wild claims. The truth of the matter is that if something is really "that good" it usually catches on and grows like wildfire.

Companies like Meguiar's, Optimum, Menznera, CarPro... they didn't just start as big, well known brands. They've evolved from small business to industry leaders for a reason.

Now sure there are unknown products that are probably great... but for the majority of people, it's just going to be a better experience if you stick to the known brands and products as they have proven their worth over and over again.

Just my opinion

-zach
Old 05-21-15, 11:21 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even well known brands have some bad products too. Stick with the products that have good reviews by detailers who know what they are talking about
Old 05-21-15, 01:11 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because I like to "pile on" (they mention Boeing and application to aircraft on their FAQ page):

From http://flightshield.com/docs/Boeing%20Report.pdf:

As a result of these studies, Boeing has
concluded that the finished skins on Boeing
commercial airplanes, both aluminum and
composite, are essentially hydraulically
smooth. The equivalent sand grain rough ness
of the skins of Boeing airplanes is typically
less than 400 microinches. As a result,
very little additional roughness drag can be
assessed beyond normal skin friction dom-
inated by turbulence in the boundary layer
(see fig.!3). These studies concluded that
additional coatings would not materially
reduce the turbulent flow skin friction drag.
and

Boeing research supports the conclusion
that use of external surface finish coatings
should be based on surface protection
properties and airplane cleanliness, not drag
reduction. There is no plausible engineering
explanation to justify a drag reduction
beyond approximately 0.1!per cent, nor is
there conclusive test data. Boeing wind
tunnel data confirm that the production
surface finish of Boeing com mercial air-
planes are hydraulically smooth, meaning
that further surface smoothness would not
result in a measurable drag reduction.
Old 05-21-15, 01:50 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
A good rule of thumb in the detailing world is to use what is tried and true... there are TONS of smaller companies like this that survive by luring in customers with their fancy marketing and wild claims. The truth of the matter is that if something is really "that good" it usually catches on and grows like wildfire.

Companies like Meguiar's, Optimum, Menznera, CarPro... they didn't just start as big, well known brands. They've evolved from small business to industry leaders for a reason.

Now sure there are unknown products that are probably great... but for the majority of people, it's just going to be a better experience if you stick to the known brands and products as they have proven their worth over and over again.

Just my opinion

-zach
I've always used Meguiars for years. I always used their Pro series #9 polish & #26 wax. I did a side by side comparison of Meguiars & Glare. The Glare did a better job than the Meguiars, the Glare marketing is too cheesy for my taste. I must admit though, the finished product looks amazing on my Stargazer Black. I see your in Peoria, I am too.
Old 05-27-15, 01:47 PM
charley95
Pole Position

I figured out why I was getting wheel marks on my 14 RX Stargazer. I was moving the buffer too fast across the panels. By moving it too fast it wasn't allowing me to work the polish into the paint.
Now that I've moved it slower the results are outstanding. I can't say the Glare product is the best but, I couldn't be happier with the results.
Old 05-27-15, 02:41 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
I figured out why I was getting wheel marks on my 14 RX Stargazer. I was moving the buffer too fast across the panels. By moving it too fast it wasn't allowing me to work the polish into the paint.
Now that I've moved it slower the results are outstanding. I can't say the Glare product is the best but, I couldn't be happier with the results.
I completely missed the part about you being in Peoria.... please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you ever need anything. I'm always happy to help!

-Zach
Old 05-27-15, 05:05 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't hesitate to buy detailing products from him, he is always happy to...
take your money J/K
Old 06-11-15, 04:45 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile Meguair's Black Wax

I just tried Meguiar's Black Wax and was impressed with how shiny it made my black car. It was relatively easy to apply/remove & smells nice; altho it does haze & leaves a residue if not removed completely. Added bonus was that it covered up a fair amount of swirl marks.

For a fairly cheap ($8.99 on Amazon & Wal-Mart) and easy to find product, I highly recommend. it.
Attached Thumbnails Best Wax for Black car?-img_20150531_175130.jpg   Best Wax for Black car?-img_20150603_173944.jpg  
Old 06-21-15, 04:06 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The best is very subjective. You will find many professional detailers who all have their go to products and you have hobbyists detailers who have a million different opinions. You can get a wax that has many fillers and makes your car look really good for one to two washes until the fillers wash out of the swirled paint.

OR

You can learn how to properly take care of your paint and reduce the amount of swirls, rids and scratches into your clear coat.

If you want to dive into this world of car care learn the basics. One good sight is autogeek.com. Knowledge is key to maintaining a black car! There are other sights on the internet but this one has a really good forum & lots of helpful people.

What you need if you don't already have them:

2 bucket system & grit guards
Boars hair brushes, one big one for the body and the wheel one.
Barrel brush for getting behind the spokes
Small boars hair brush for getting in tight cracks and nooks.

Dual action machine
Back plate
Wide variety of pads (recommend 5.5")
Variety of products ($$$$$) polishing, compounding & waxes, sealers, trim care, metal polishes for your exhaust tips.

Interior care
Leather cleaner, leather conditioner, mild detergent for interior trim and any spills, boars hair brush for dusting off dash and AC vents. I keep mine in the center console and get it out when I'm waiting for someone and dust off the interior quickly.

Total cost for a good all around starter kit is about $1,100.

You'll also need good lighting because you can't detail what you can't see. So add in some 500-1500watt halogen work lights. Some guys use special lights that work well to mimic sunlight and help show rids/scratches while they are working. I'll have to admit I'm one of them. Once again you can't fix what you can't see. Also get yourself some ear plugs because operating a DA polisher for 10+ hours a day gets noisy. Some knee pads or a gardening foam pad works well when working on your knees to get the body from mid-door down.

There are two types of black cars.

A. The best looking car in the parking lot
B. The ugliest car in the parking lot.

It all comes down to how the owner cares for the vehicle. It will either make you or break you. With a black car there's no Inbetween. The cars paint will show off any and all imperfections.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-15, 07:57 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I like Rejex, it's a sealant, not a wax. I use it on my car 2-3 times a year. It will outlast the wax and provides awesome shine.

Make sure you wash and clay bar your paint before applying. Best times are early morning or early evening.
Old 07-18-15, 11:29 AM
Ditoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the sealant over wax. It wears down way too fast. But the sealant and wax combo looks amazing. I am using Cquartz and wax on top. Brings out a nice deep dark in depth color.
Old 08-28-17, 02:05 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Auto Glym HD Wax
Old 08-28-17, 05:13 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I've been a fan of Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax. I have Jet Seal as well but have not tried it yet.

I plan to try out a ceramic coating soon.
Old 08-31-17, 08:58 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Chemical guys Black Light. Best stuff I've used for darker cars.