Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Very light scratches in windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 05:16 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very light scratches in windshield

The winter has done a number on the windshield of my NX. There are a bunch of small hairline scratches on the driver side of my windshield. Where I live they put down a lot of sand and salt, so I'm guessing that is what caused it. The scratches are really light- you can't feel them with a fingernail and they can only be seen at night or when the light hits them at the right angle. Can anyone suggest a product that I could use to repair these, or is this something that a pro is going to need to do?
Old 04-01-15, 06:08 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdcrow
The winter has done a number on the windshield of my NX. There are a bunch of small hairline scratches on the driver side of my windshield. Where I live they put down a lot of sand and salt, so I'm guessing that is what caused it. The scratches are really light- you can't feel them with a fingernail and they can only be seen at night or when the light hits them at the right angle. Can anyone suggest a product that I could use to repair these, or is this something that a pro is going to need to do?
Glass polishing is significantly more difficult than polishing paint. Why? .. it's simple. Glass is WAY harder than paint and therefore WAY harder to level defects in.

CarPro makes a polish specifically for glass - CarPro Ceriglass - that contains cerium oxide. This polish is capable of removing light defects in glass when used with a glass cutting pad and is most effective with a rotary machine. Great caution must be used when polishing glass as drastic temp changes (ie from hot to cold, or vice versa) could result in shattered glass.

In all honesty, I personally wouldn't mess with it... but you can google "automotive glass polishing" and find some useful articles/write ups out there if you want to give it a shot.

-Zach
Old 04-01-15, 07:35 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Glass polishing is significantly more difficult than polishing paint. Why? .. it's simple. Glass is WAY harder than paint and therefore WAY harder to level defects in.

CarPro makes a polish specifically for glass - CarPro Ceriglass - that contains cerium oxide. This polish is capable of removing light defects in glass when used with a glass cutting pad and is most effective with a rotary machine. Great caution must be used when polishing glass as drastic temp changes (ie from hot to cold, or vice versa) could result in shattered glass.

In all honesty, I personally wouldn't mess with it... but you can google "automotive glass polishing" and find some useful articles/write ups out there if you want to give it a shot.

-Zach
I did some quick research earlier and CeriGlass was one of the products I read about. It sounds like it's what I need but I don't have a polisher so I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on one of those or just have a detailing place do it.

There's a pretty good detailing place that does glass polishing near my parent's house. I'm going to stop by there when I'm in town this weekend and see what they say/would charge.
Old 04-01-15, 08:13 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Yep, seeking a professional would be the best choice in my opinion.
Old 04-01-15, 09:42 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Because glass is way harder than paint and Cquartz is glass coating, isn't that why it is more scratch resistant than paint? Is Cquartz also as hard as glass?
Old 04-01-15, 09:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Because glass is way harder than paint and Cquartz is glass coating, isn't that why it is more scratch resistant than paint? Is Cquartz also as hard as glass?
According to some research, automotive glass tends to range between 6-7 on the Mohs scale depending on if it is tempered glass or not. Quartz has a hardness of 7 on the Mohs scale, however I am not sure that CQuartz ever reaches this hardness.

CarPro is actually going through some extensive testing right now to determine the true hardness of their coatings in real life application scenarios... ie not with 10-20 coats and baked at unusually high temps like some coating manufacturers do in order to meet their hardness claims. I'll let you know what they find out when the results are in.
Old 04-01-15, 05:27 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zach, do you know if using a razor blade to remove excess silicone will scratch up the rear windshield?

I was installing a roof spoiler with RTV Permatex silicone and a little bit of excess silicone squeezed out into the windshield.
Old 04-02-15, 03:48 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have those small scratches in my windshield as well. May check out pro advice. Interested to read what Rdcrow finds out.
Old 04-02-15, 05:54 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Zach, do you know if using a razor blade to remove excess silicone will scratch up the rear windshield?

I was installing a roof spoiler with RTV Permatex silicone and a little bit of excess silicone squeezed out into the windshield.
A razor blade like this one should be just fine as long as you keep the long edge of the blade against the windshield (compared to the short edge as if you were cutting something). Use a lubricant of some sort (glass cleaner) to allow the blade to glide along the surface.
Old 04-02-15, 09:11 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I tried polishing out some scratches on my windshield with Ceriglass. I originally tried with a very thin hard glass polishing pad that was useless with my orbital polisher. I then tried with a different glass polishing pad that was thicker and softer(wish I remembered the names), I believe it had a red back. It was not easy at all and results were just okay on some light scratches, glass is so much harder then paint it is extremely hard to polish with tools designed to polish softer surfaces like paint. You really have to press down very hard and work the polish longer, you have to really keep the polish and pad wet. A rotary polisher would likely work better and is likely the proper tool for the original very hard pad I used.