Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CarPro Perl not bonding with tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 04:01 PM
jv6792
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CarPro Perl not bonding with tires?

So i purchased CarPro Perl after reading everyone's excellent reviews on the product. However, it does not bond with the tire. Prior to applying, I thoroughly cleaned my tires with tuf shine tire cleaner and brush. On a stripped and dry tire, I applied the Perl at 1:1 with a new foam applicator and it just kept streaking off and not bonding with to the rubber. I then thought maybe i didn't clean my tires enough and there is still some solvent from previous dressings. So i cleaned again with tuf shine and apc. Same results. When the Perl dries, there is a satin look to the tire but its kond of blotchy and looks as if ot os not evenly spread. Is there anything i'm missing? FWIW, the tires are B'stone Potenza RE760
Old 03-30-15, 06:09 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I've only ever heard of this happening to one other person... He couldn't get any water based dressings to "work" with his tires.
Old 03-31-15, 07:32 AM
jv6792
Rookie

I've tried spraying it on and wiping it on with a foam applicator, but it just streaks and runs off the tire. im not sure how else to apply it or how to make it bond with the tire.
Old 03-31-15, 09:49 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You spray a few sprays to the foam applicator and massage it in with your fingers. The key then is apply it thin to the tire and spread it around, use another cheap microfiber cloth to lightly remove the excess. Wait 30 minutes for it to dry and then you can drive your car. It works for me.

When you say it does not bond to the tire, there is a high possibility that the tire has not been cleaned properly. I would imagine a bunch of silicon gunks/junks from other tire dressing is still on the tire that causes the bonding issue. You need to at least use some All Purpose Cleaner (APC) to thoroughly clean your tire before you apply Perl or any other tire dressing.
Old 03-31-15, 09:52 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Not too sure I know what to tell you... I would contact CarPro for some more advice as they surely know the product better than anyone. Have you tried it neat (undiluted)?

I use it regularly on my own vehicles as well as customer's cars and it has produced a great finish every time. I tend to use it neat as I have found that produces the shine I like and better durability.

See what CarPro can recommend
Old 03-31-15, 09:57 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I agree with Zach. I have recently tested Carpro Pearl and here is the results. It has last 1 week+ now and still going.

Old 03-31-15, 10:06 AM
jv6792
Rookie

i have thoroughly cleaned the tires twice with tuf shine and apc. There is no left over gunk on them as i vigorously rubbed a mf towel on the tire to see if it picked up any left over silicone and mf turned out clean. i have not used it undiluted...will have to try that next. Im sure it has to do with my tires, not the dressing but I'll keep troubleshooting.
Old 03-31-15, 10:08 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I have tested on Continental DWS and Hankook V12, both work. What brand and model is your tire?
Old 03-31-15, 10:26 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I have tested on Continental DWS and Hankook V12, both work. What brand and model is your tire?
He mentioned they are Brdigestone Potenza RE760... I posted a pic of PERL on Potenzas. Guess I am not sure why a tire may or may not work well with a particular tire dressing.

Curious to know what CarPro says
Old 03-31-15, 10:30 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I don't understand this at all. Tires are all rubber anyways and Perl bond to all kinds of rubber that I have tested on. Trim, tires, even rubber parts inside my house lol. Sound like a call to Corey is a must here for him.

OP, please try Perl undiluted and report back.
Old 04-01-15, 12:35 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bad pic but it's Perl undiluted. Kind of a mistake because it was too runny. Looks good tho.

Worst case just use it for your interior? Maybe it doesn't give you the look you want.
Old 04-01-15, 06:09 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

PERL is runny by nature... simply apply product to a foam applicator and work it into the surface and it will leave. It is not a gel formula like some tire dressings are.
Old 04-01-15, 09:24 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Update on Perl, after a car wash with Reset, the pearl is almost gone. It lasts me total 8 days to be exact while Tuf Shine lasts me several months going through various car washes without problem. Also, Perl is not dry to touch even after letting it cure for 12 hours while the Tuf Shine is literally dry to touch.

Perl has a darker and richer look than Tuf Tire Shine and a lot easier to apply. Perl can bond to dirty tires without problem.

Anyways, I'm happy with both products but I still prefer Tuf Tire Shine for its crazy tough durability and easier maintenance without weekly application.
Old 04-01-15, 10:03 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

While the shine of PERL does fade quickly, you'll notice the hydrophobic properties are still in tact.

I personally dress my tires every 3-5 days to maintain a deep, dark finish, however PERL makes them much easier to clean as dirt rinses off without the need for major scrubbing.

If PERL is not dry, take a towel and gently wipe the surface to remove excess product. This goes for all tire dressings.
Old 04-01-15, 11:09 AM
jv6792
Rookie

thanks for the replies fellas. i have not yet had a chance to apply perl undiluted as i have not had time to wash my car. I do like the way perl looks however, that is after 2-3 coats at 1:1. Because like i said before, 1 coat gives me a blotchy look. And for the record, my tires are as clean as they can be. So after applying the 1 coat with a foam applicator, the perl dries on the tire and looks like water spots on paint (best way to explain). Silicone based dressing look like they bond better to the tire w/o actually bonding as it just sits on the surface. I want to keep using perl and transition away from solvents, i just dont seem to be having the success u guys have with perl.

Quick Reply: CarPro Perl not bonding with tires?