Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CarPro Perl not bonding with tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 08:13 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
PERL is runny by nature... simply apply product to a foam applicator and work it into the surface and it will leave. It is not a gel formula like some tire dressings are.
Maybe I was using the wrong applicator. I got it from Amazon, it's similar to the ones that come with walmart stuff.
Old 04-01-15, 08:14 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Update on Perl, after a car wash with Reset, the pearl is almost gone. It lasts me total 8 days to be exact while Tuf Shine lasts me several months going through various car washes without problem. Also, Perl is not dry to touch even after letting it cure for 12 hours while the Tuf Shine is literally dry to touch.

Perl has a darker and richer look than Tuf Tire Shine and a lot easier to apply. Perl can bond to dirty tires without problem.

Anyways, I'm happy with both products but I still prefer Tuf Tire Shine for its crazy tough durability and easier maintenance without weekly application.
I need to get this stuff!!
Old 04-02-15, 01:00 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I used perl for the first time yesterday, neat. Didn't have an issue with it not bonding. I used one of the applicators bought from chem guys, cut in half

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Durafoam..._p/acc_300.htm
Old 04-04-15, 01:34 PM
jv6792
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update...

i applied the Perl neat and it seemed to work better as it is not diluted. I also found that using less product ultimately gives better results. I got a satin deep black look. However, after applying 3 coats, I still cant get them to shine as much as id like or as much as I've seen others. Any ideas on how to achieve that high level gloss?
Old 04-04-15, 02:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I like PERL. I used TUF Shine or whatever that "permanent" coating stuff is called and it lasted me one car wash. I scrubbed my tires with a stiff brush about 6 times with heavy concentrated CG Grime Reaper and rinsing it off between each scrubbing session. Then the coating was applied in several layers and allowed to dry before driving. Very disappointing stuff.

And it was applied to tires that have never seen any type of oily dressings before hand.
Old 04-04-15, 04:07 PM
jv6792
Rookie

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I like PERL. I used TUF Shine or whatever that "permanent" coating stuff is called and it lasted me one car wash. I scrubbed my tires with a stiff brush about 6 times with heavy concentrated CG Grime Reaper and rinsing it off between each scrubbing session. Then the coating was applied in several layers and allowed to dry before driving. Very disappointing stuff.

And it was applied to tires that have never seen any type of oily dressings before hand.
i never used the tuf shine dressing, just the cleaner. the cleaner did a good job at taking all the silicone off from previous dressings. I wash my car weekly and always clean and dress the tires.

1 week for a "permanent" coating sounds like u got ripped off. Have u tried contacting tuf shine?
Old 04-04-15, 05:22 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by popping
FWIW, I used perl for the first time yesterday, neat. Didn't have an issue with it not bonding. I used one of the applicators bought from chem guys, cut in half

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Durafoam..._p/acc_300.htm

those applicators are the best I have ever found. Great durability
Old 04-05-15, 03:23 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Pix? I thought it could be operator problem but sounds like you did a good job.
Old 04-14-15, 03:44 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this is probably user error in the application. I messed up my initial application with it too but after contacting with the company, they showed me how to do it right.

Now I have applied Tuf Tire Shine to all cars in my family and yes, they last many months. Once they bond to the tire, it is HARD to remove it so yes, it is permanent in a way.
Old 04-14-15, 06:53 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I think this is probably user error in the application. I messed up my initial application with it too but after contacting with the company, they showed me how to do it right.

Now I have applied Tuf Tire Shine to all cars in my family and yes, they last many months. Once they bond to the tire, it is HARD to remove it so yes, it is permanent in a way.
How is it user error? It's not rocket science....

Spray their tire cleaner, scrub, rinse off. Repeat.

Blow dry the tire completely and coat it.

That's it.
Old 04-14-15, 10:19 PM
jv6792
Rookie

How is it user error? It's not rocket science....

Spray their tire cleaner, scrub, rinse off. Repeat.

Blow dry the tire completely and coat it.

That's it.
it actually was user error.. i finally got it to work. Spraying directly to the tire doesnt work for me or my tires. so wat i was missing was the fact that was not working it in to the rubber with a good foam applicator. I was so used to silicone dressing(which u only have to do one pass with) that i did not work it into the rubber.

with perl, i learned that using less product works better. It is not rocket science but there is a bit of a technique that u gotta use when it comes to water based dressings rather than to just slap it on like i used to do with silicone dressing.
Old 12-01-17, 12:44 PM
Silmar
Driver School Candidate

I agree with Zach. I have recently tested Carpro Pearl and here is the results. It has last 1 week+ now and still going.

little offtop, but, what type of rims is these? And can you tell the specs for them? They look so cool, whant to search if they will fit 2rx. Thanx.