Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best tool to steam clean wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 03:15 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Best tool to steam clean wheels?

Hi All-
I'm interested in purchasing a steamer to clean my wheels. Is it correct that steam cleaning wheels is very effective? Also, what is the best/recommended machine? I have seen several steamers on amazon, but it is not clear which one would be best for wheels? Any tips much appreciated.
Old 03-30-15, 06:11 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Most consumer steamers aren't powerful enough to quickly and efficiently clean wheels. You'd need an industrial/professional grade machine with a high output temps and pressure.

In general, cleaning your wheels with soap, water, and the appropriate tools will be much quicker and easier. (And cheaper!)
Old 03-31-15, 09:45 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you protect your wheels with sealant or paint coating, no need steamer or any aggressive strong cleaner, regular wash with car shampoo and rinse with water is all you need. It works everytime for me.
Old 04-06-15, 09:36 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Most consumer steamers aren't powerful enough to quickly and efficiently clean wheels. You'd need an industrial/professional grade machine with a high output temps and pressure.

In general, cleaning your wheels with soap, water, and the appropriate tools will be much quicker and easier. (And cheaper!)
Seems like soap is not strong enough to clean them. When I wipe dry, I always see dirt on the cloth. Should I use sonax and/or IronX? I'm guessing simple green is too strong? Wheels are opticoated.
Old 04-07-15, 06:35 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
Seems like soap is not strong enough to clean them. When I wipe dry, I always see dirt on the cloth. Should I use sonax and/or IronX? I'm guessing simple green is too strong? Wheels are opticoated.
What is your exact cleaning process? What tools are you using to clean the wheels?

My wheels are simply protected with HydrO2 and I just need to rinse them, wash them with soap and water using my wheel woolies for the barrels and boars hair brush for the faces, and then rinse again and they are spotless.

If you've got heavier buildup, a wheel cleaner will provide some more cleaning power, but you must also be sure you're washing the wheels properly.
Old 04-07-15, 09:52 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I'm afraid your installer might not clean the wheels well enough before topping it with Opticoat. Therefore whatever build up is underneath the Opticoat and that prevents you from cleaning it out lol.

Jbreezie, why do you copy exact avatar and signature like my friend Glock47 has???
Old 04-07-15, 07:42 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

The wheels are the very first thing I wash. I rinse them off pretty well, you can see the brake dust come off. Then I use a wheel brush and MF mitt to clean the wheel faces with the soap bucket. Then rinse off. Then when I dry them later, I see a dirty towel! When I dry my car off, I rarely see a dirty towel! The wheels are clean but maybe I was expecting the white glove clean.

Maybe because I don't clean the barrels.I clean whatever I can reach with the MF mitt and wheel brush.

This is my brush and I use a wal-mart MF Mitt. I use Reset for my soap.

Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
What is your exact cleaning process? What tools are you using to clean the wheels?

My wheels are simply protected with HydrO2 and I just need to rinse them, wash them with soap and water using my wheel woolies for the barrels and boars hair brush for the faces, and then rinse again and they are spotless.

If you've got heavier buildup, a wheel cleaner will provide some more cleaning power, but you must also be sure you're washing the wheels properly.

Last edited by Jbreezie; 04-07-15 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-07-15, 07:44 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

haha I'm sure it's coated because it beads and it's fairly easy to rinse off. Before the dust would not come off that easily without scrubbing.

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I'm afraid your installer might not clean the wheels well enough before topping it with Opticoat. Therefore whatever build up is underneath the Opticoat and that prevents you from cleaning it out lol.

Jbreezie, why do you copy exact avatar and signature like my friend Glock47 has???
Old 04-09-15, 06:34 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless your wash mitt got to clean every spoke and cranny, your wheels would still have brake dust in some places so when you go dry it with your towel you will see brake dust. Try using a towel with soapy water and wipe in the same manner as you would dry, see if that helps.

My wheels are also opti-coated but I use 2-4 brushes when I wash them to make sure there are no brake dust left behind (even on the caliper)
Old 04-09-15, 08:33 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
Unless your wash mitt got to clean every spoke and cranny, your wheels would still have brake dust in some places so when you go dry it with your towel you will see brake dust. Try using a towel with soapy water and wipe in the same manner as you would dry, see if that helps.

My wheels are also opti-coated but I use 2-4 brushes when I wash them to make sure there are no brake dust left behind (even on the caliper)
Good idea, I'll try it!
Old 04-10-15, 11:41 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

If you use towels to clean your wheels/tires... please do yourself a favor, NEVER use that same towel in anything else! This is one of the 10 commandments in detailing.
Old 06-22-15, 08:22 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Zelfiris

+1.

The wheels should have their own bucket, brushes and pH balanced solution. Do not use your wash mitt or wash bucket for the wheels.

I hose mine with a high pressure washer and then spray them with poorboy's wheel cleaner and let it sit while I wash the paint.

I then use whatever water left from the wash bucket and pour that into the wheel bucket. I have the OXO brushes and I start going over the wheels one by one. Hose them off.

If you got your own garage, you can use a leaf blower to dry off all the excess water.

I just ordered a steam cleaner so I can use it for cleaning a 2001 Subaru Forrester interior, but I will try that on the wheels and see how well it works.

Old 06-26-15, 01:50 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

In answer to your question. This is the steam cleaner that I bought:

VX 5000 Steamer Direct.............

I didn't just buy it for the car though. I use it to clean the leather, the grout in the house and shower, the toilets, windows (they gave us a squeegee with it that hooks to the hose).

I think that it was money well spent because I can do so much more than just use it on cars.

He gives you a boat load of different brushes, tips and attachments with it too, which is good because the price of all of those things add up.

Good Luck!

By the way, I have NO affiliation with the above vendor, other than being a Satisfied Buyer!