Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Coating/film on chrome trime.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 09:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Coating/film on chrome trim.

I have never dealt with this. On my rear bumper the thin strip of chrome trim has always been more of a dulled whitish silver/light grey, I rubbed it once or twice with a chrome cleaning product and it made no difference so I figured that is just how the piece was. I had never really paid much attention to it because I have always been focused on the paint. Now I have noticed whatever was on it has flaked off in several areas on one side and what do you know their is fresh chrome trim underneath. It is like some kind of protective finish/adhesive/film was on the chrome trim that was never removed that somehow got baked on or and only now it is flaking off. Now I have to do something because it is unsightly but I am unsure how to get the rest off as the majority is still on there like it is baked on. I think if I try scrapping it off it will take forever and I will end up scratching up the chrome trim.

Has anyone had any experience with a strange film on their chrome trim that would not come off and how to remove it, any chemicals, scraping process, etc?

Last edited by UDel; 03-27-15 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-27-15, 10:15 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this is due to the polish residue caking on it. That is why people use ducking tape to mask all the trims before polishing.

Try using all purpose cleaner at 1:10 dilution to clean it. If it doesn't come out, try some IPA alcohol.
Old 03-27-15, 11:26 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I'd like to see some photos... this could be due to many things.

Before you go wiping chemicals on the trim, I would make sure you understand what you are working with. Is the trim metal coated in chrome? plastic covered with a chrome look? was it clear coated? is the residue from adhesive or coating failure?

My advice would be to do some more investigating to see if you can provide more info on what you're dealing with so we can help to provide more accurate options on how to handle it.

-Zach
Old 03-27-15, 12:07 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I'd like to see some photos... this could be due to many things.

Before you go wiping chemicals on the trim, I would make sure you understand what you are working with. Is the trim metal coated in chrome? plastic covered with a chrome look? was it clear coated? is the residue from adhesive or coating failure?

My advice would be to do some more investigating to see if you can provide more info on what you're dealing with so we can help to provide more accurate options on how to handle it.

-Zach

Here are some pics, it really seems like some protective adhesive/sticker that was never removed and got baked on, top is a very light grey, bottom part is white until you get to the chrome trim.
Attached Thumbnails Coating/film on chrome trime.-2015-snow-051.jpg   Coating/film on chrome trime.-2015-snow-052.jpg  
Old 03-27-15, 12:23 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I think this is due to the polish residue caking on it. That is why people use ducking tape to mask all the trims before polishing.

Try using all purpose cleaner at 1:10 dilution to clean it. If it doesn't come out, try some IPA alcohol.
It is not polish, it is some kind of adhesive/sticker protection that was originally on the trim that was never removed and seems to have been baked on. It has been on there for years, survived polished, wipe downs with alcohol, etc. Only recently has it started peeling and I noticed the chrome trim underneath.
Old 03-27-15, 12:28 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by UDel
Here are some pics, it really seems like some protective adhesive/sticker that was never removed and got baked on, top is a very light grey, bottom part is white until you get to the chrome trim.
Wow - very interesting looking.

If you're sure it is an adhesive, then I would start with a solvent that would remove adhesive residue. Something like 3M Adhesive Remover (can probably be found locally) or similar. You may also need to step up to a more powerful solvent, but always test a small spot first. No point in ruining the trim in the process of trying to clean it.

Does heat make the adhesive tacky/pliable? Would that help to remove it.

-Zach
Old 03-27-15, 12:28 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

It seems like a bit of plastic dip or some kind of wrap... interesting. If polish doesn't remove it. It seems like more aggressive approach such as physical peeling is the next step. Well, I don't know. This one is very unique.
Old 03-27-15, 01:39 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Wow - very interesting looking.

If you're sure it is an adhesive, then I would start with a solvent that would remove adhesive residue. Something like 3M Adhesive Remover (can probably be found locally) or similar. You may also need to step up to a more powerful solvent, but always test a small spot first. No point in ruining the trim in the process of trying to clean it.

Does heat make the adhesive tacky/pliable? Would that help to remove it.

-Zach
It is dry, if you take tweezers and try to pull it off it is totally dry, not sticky, sometimes you get the top light grey layer or bottom white layer or both but parts really don't seem to want to come off. I am going to have a hell of a time trying to get it off where it is not peeling without damaging the chrome trim. If it is not some protective adhesive left on the only other thing I can think it is was someone painted it that color and now the paint is peeling off the chrome trim. I may try heat with a sodering tip to see what it does, don't want to damage the chrome trim though.
Old 03-27-15, 01:48 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Can you remove the trim pieces? That would surely make it easier to work on.
Old 03-27-15, 02:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Can you remove the trim pieces? That would surely make it easier to work on.
I have not tried, not sure if I want to risk breaking it or going through too much trouble for something like this. I may dedicate a couple hours to trying to peel it off and see what happens, the other side is not peeling at all and is really on there and is going to be really tough to remove.
Old 04-03-15, 05:00 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I tried using a soldering iron, was not working and it was burning the chrome trim, tried picking it off and that was not working once I got all the loose flakes off. Really irritated me that someone could be so careless to just leave the protective seal/film on for the chrome trim and the results is it got baked on. Not sure any chemical will work. I am either going to get new chrome trim or I read about a chrome sticker roll that you just put over top of the trim, I think you can get it at Pep Boys and other auto shops.
Old 04-03-15, 07:55 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

or u can wrap them with 3M as another option