Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cheap Sealant / Professional Results / Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 09:42 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice! I wonder how long it lasts? I'm currently using Carpro Reload! There's a detailing section forum here as well.
Old 03-27-15, 11:58 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Glock47
Very nice! I wonder how long it lasts? I'm currently using Carpro Reload! There's a detailing section forum here as well.
Thanks Glock47! We shall see how long it lasts. I was so pissed because that night after I had detailed the car it rained Same thing today, more rain. Looked at it and it still looks sharp! Can't wait to do a 2nd coat when is warmer! Can't help it
Old 03-29-15, 07:01 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Default Possible results for UW - Mother's white orchid pearl Honda Accord

Possible results for UW:

Car specs: 2013 Honda Accord Sport White Orchid Pearl / Black Interior

I know, before any one comments, it's not a Lexus - it's a Honda! Just wanted to show how Griot's Garage Sealant works on any color!
Attached Thumbnails Cheap Sealant / Professional Results / Pics-honda-sealant-2.jpg   Cheap Sealant / Professional Results / Pics-honda-sealant-4.jpg   Cheap Sealant / Professional Results / Pics-honda-sealant-1.jpg  
Old 03-29-15, 07:02 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Default More pics of White Orchid Pearl Honda

More pics of White Orchid Pearl Honda Accord
Attached Thumbnails Cheap Sealant / Professional Results / Pics-honda-sealant-3.jpg   Cheap Sealant / Professional Results / Pics-honda-sealant-5.jpg   Cheap Sealant / Professional Results / Pics-honda-sealant-6.jpg  
Old 03-30-15, 08:49 AM
AdamCraven
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Griot's is awesome.

We vend car shows at the Tacoma, Washington location, great guys.

Old 03-30-15, 10:16 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Griots has some good stuff, though I would not call them cheap especially if you have to pay shipping when ordering online.
Old 03-30-15, 10:43 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Woot woot, very nice results!

Out of so many products, the only product I have never tried is all-in-one because I thought it is like all-season tire that can be driven on all seasons but not good at any season compared to a dedicated summer or winter tire. Anyways, based on your pictures, it looks pretty good. It would be even more helpful if you have the before pictures.

Please update us how long that all-in-one product lasts. I think it is very good for fixing minor swirl and protecting the paint all at once.
Old 03-30-15, 11:15 AM
jv6792
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

solid car! looks great congrats!
ive always wanted to try griots products but have always been hesitant to do so. how did u apply it? by hand (foam or microfiber?) or with a machine? did it remove swirls or just hide them?
Old 03-31-15, 05:04 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AdamCraven
Griot's is awesome.

We vend car shows at the Tacoma, Washington location, great guys.

Oh, nice! Didn't know that!
Old 03-31-15, 05:05 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
Griots has some good stuff, though I would not call them cheap especially if you have to pay shipping when ordering online.
I said it was cheap because I got it at my local AutoZone Saved shipping and the waiting time to get it shipped
Old 03-31-15, 05:08 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jv6792
solid car! looks great congrats!
ive always wanted to try griots products but have always been hesitant to do so. how did u apply it? by hand (foam or microfiber?) or with a machine? did it remove swirls or just hide them?
I applied it by hand using a foam applicator. Once dried to a haze, I removed it with microfiber towels (good quality ones ). I'd say it removed the swirls and not just hid them because it rained the day after I had applied it. Knowing how crazy I am, I dried my car with a chamois and microfiber towels and the swirls appeared again . So I went and applied a 2nd coat - problem solved!
Old 03-31-15, 05:18 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Woot woot, very nice results!

Out of so many products, the only product I have never tried is all-in-one because I thought it is like all-season tire that can be driven on all seasons but not good at any season compared to a dedicated summer or winter tire. Anyways, based on your pictures, it looks pretty good. It would be even more helpful if you have the before pictures.

Please update us how long that all-in-one product lasts. I think it is very good for fixing minor swirl and protecting the paint all at once.
Update for all of you!

After 1st application, it rained next day! Car dried as it was parked in a garage and the shine was still on like the day before. Drove car home and looked at it - was still shiny!

3-4 days later - washed car to get dust off from rain and work commute; water ran through the car like butter! Applied 2nd coat

Right now (3/31/15) - it rained last night/early morning. Drove to work. Day cleared out and car got dried sitting in the parking lot. Drove back home. Rained again. Drove to school. Drove back home. Car was still shiny!

Conclusion: Not only because the bottle says it can lasts up to 1 yr., I would say that it lasts long. I experienced my own results based on rainy days, daily commutes, etc. over a period of 1 week. This sealant is long lasting and it fights against water/rain. Now, just to clarify, it won't be as Ceramic Pro or other high-end sealants, but at its price it's pretty acceptable!
Old 04-01-15, 06:50 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi90
(snip)

Now, just to clarify, it won't be as Ceramic Pro or other high-end sealants, but at its price it's pretty acceptable!

Glad you're enjoying the Griot's One Step Sealant.

I just wanted to clarify between the various types of paint protection since you had mentioned Ceramic Pro as a sealant, when it is in fact a paint coating. While they do fill the same role as a paint protection product, there are distinct differences between the two.

A wax, as you likely know, is a natural based product that is applied to a vehicle in order to provide a temporary (usually 4-8 weeks) barrier between the surface of your paint and the elements. This layer is incredibly thin, and wax is not capable of withstanding much of what a daily driven vehicle will experience. For this reason, it must be applied very often to maintain protection.

A sealant (like the Griot's One Step Sealant, Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant, BlackFire Wet Diamond, etc) are synthetic, polymer based products that provide better durability than a typical wax, but they are essentially very similar. You can think of a sealant as a "man-made wax" to simplify things.

A paint coating (like 22ple VX Pro, CQuartz UK, Optimum Gloss Coat, etc) is a further advancement in the paint protection world. Like a wax or sealant, a paint coating also provides a barrier between the surface of your paint and the elements. Paint coatings, however, are considerably thicker and more robust. Coatings provide a layer that is hundreds of times thicker than the average layer of wax, and they are much more chemical resistant. Once a coating has cured, it will also be slightly harder than your original paint was, therefore it helps to add a slight resistance to marring. Coatings also produce a noticeably different shine that mimics more of a glass-like/hard shell candy look. Coatings do cost more, require MUCH more prep work, and are more difficult to apply, however the benefits may sway you to try one. They do provide the best protection and ease of maintenance relative to the other paint protection products.

The Benefits of a Paint Coating by Zach McGovern

-Zach
Old 04-01-15, 09:38 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I very much agree with Zach definition above as this is how the detailing industry defines it. However, I do think think the information on wax is not accurate technically.

Wax is based on organic substance which is natural but that substance is refined and processed through some manufacturing steps to make it ready to be used. Not just sealant, wax is also "man made" through manufacturing and chemical refinement process.
Old 04-01-15, 10:01 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Glad you're enjoying the Griot's One Step Sealant.

I just wanted to clarify between the various types of paint protection since you had mentioned Ceramic Pro as a sealant, when it is in fact a paint coating. While they do fill the same role as a paint protection product, there are distinct differences between the two.

A wax, as you likely know, is a natural based product that is applied to a vehicle in order to provide a temporary (usually 4-8 weeks) barrier between the surface of your paint and the elements. This layer is incredibly thin, and wax is not capable of withstanding much of what a daily driven vehicle will experience. For this reason, it must be applied very often to maintain protection.

A sealant (like the Griot's One Step Sealant, Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant, BlackFire Wet Diamond, etc) are synthetic, polymer based products that provide better durability than a typical wax, but they are essentially very similar. You can think of a sealant as a "man-made wax" to simplify things.

A paint coating (like 22ple VX Pro, CQuartz UK, Optimum Gloss Coat, etc) is a further advancement in the paint protection world. Like a wax or sealant, a paint coating also provides a barrier between the surface of your paint and the elements. Paint coatings, however, are considerably thicker and more robust. Coatings provide a layer that is hundreds of times thicker than the average layer of wax, and they are much more chemical resistant. Once a coating has cured, it will also be slightly harder than your original paint was, therefore it helps to add a slight resistance to marring. Coatings also produce a noticeably different shine that mimics more of a glass-like/hard shell candy look. Coatings do cost more, require MUCH more prep work, and are more difficult to apply, however the benefits may sway you to try one. They do provide the best protection and ease of maintenance relative to the other paint protection products.

The Benefits of a Paint Coating by Zach McGovern

-Zach
Thanks for the info, Zach! I greatly appreciate your info about car detailing.

Quick Reply: Cheap Sealant / Professional Results / Pics