Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

20 Hours Full Detailing on A 13 Year Old Camry That has NEVER been detailed!

Old 08-22-15, 09:25 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so i finally decided to try this for myself. worked out well for the most part, but i did notice some hazing on a few panels. I got rid of some of them with Reload, but not all. What do you guys recommend is the best way i go about getting rid of them? Thanks
Old 08-26-15, 07:41 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
so i finally decided to try this for myself. worked out well for the most part, but i did notice some hazing on a few panels. I got rid of some of them with Reload, but not all. What do you guys recommend is the best way i go about getting rid of them? Thanks
What do you mean by hazing? Which part of the process created this 'hazing' that you are referring to?

-Zach
Old 08-26-15, 08:10 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Thanks you! My sister who isn't a car person finally sees a big difference and was impressed with the outcome. She thought it is a new car. She now learns that detailing is a good thing haha. I told her to touch the paint before i detailed and then now. She was like yes it is like touching sand (before) vs. butter (now).

Yeah, the car is in the worst condition it can get lol. What do you mean "only" 20 hours ? How many hours do you estimate for this kind of transformation?
I expected 30+ hours to revive a zombie lol

Did you happened to work on the engine bay, interior and exhaust tips too?
Old 08-26-15, 03:42 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
What do you mean by hazing? Which part of the process created this 'hazing' that you are referring to?

-Zach
I'm not sure if hazing is the right term. High spots maybe? I was able to polish almost of it away. My hood came out very ugly before the polish. The rest of the car came out Very nice. A couple of spots here and there but nothing like the hood lol
Old 08-26-15, 04:12 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by tea
I'm not sure if hazing is the right term. High spots maybe? I was able to polish almost of it away. My hood came out very ugly before the polish. The rest of the car came out Very nice. A couple of spots here and there but nothing like the hood lol
High spots from coating? That is possible... especially with CQUK.
Old 08-26-15, 06:01 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

High spots from coating? That is possible... especially with CQUK.
so do you have any recommendations on how to remove the more stubborn ones? I tried hand polishing it very lightly since i was afraid of polishing off the coating itself after 2 days of curing. Today's the third day since i finished coating it on Saturday
Old 08-26-15, 06:23 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by tea
so do you have any recommendations on how to remove the more stubborn ones? I tried hand polishing it very lightly since i was afraid of polishing off the coating itself after 2 days of curing. Today's the third day since i finished coating it on Saturday
If you have high spots, the only way to remove them is by polishing. You will then want to recoat those areas.

-Zach
Old 08-26-15, 06:28 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

If you have high spots, the only way to remove them is by polishing. You will then want to recoat those areas.

-Zach
Even after it had two to three days to cure? It's been very hot and humid here in socal
Old 08-26-15, 09:40 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

What do you use on the blotchy, faded looking black window pillar trims..? Pretty common on the Toyotas in the sun.
Old 08-27-15, 05:27 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by tea
Even after it had two to three days to cure? It's been very hot and humid here in socal
Yes - these coatings are very thin. They average ~1.5 microns in thickness per layer, but may be more or less than that in any given spot. Polishing will degrade and potentially remove the coating in that spot, therefore it is best practice to recoat that area to ensure it is properly protected.

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
What do you use on the blotchy, faded looking black window pillar trims..? Pretty common on the Toyotas in the sun.
For unpainted pillars, they should be thoroughly cleaned with an all purpose cleaner and then dressed with either a water based product like 303 Aerospace Protectant, a dye like Solution Finish, or a trim coating like 22ple VR1.

Note - if it is smooth plastic, sometimes these products will not bond well and therefore will not perform great.

-Zach