Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Weather stripping protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 03:01 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Weather stripping protection

Just wondering what everyone uses to protect weather stripping around the widows etc. ?
Old 03-16-15, 04:21 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Just wondering what everyone uses to protect weather stripping around the widows etc. ?
The only product that I know of specifically for rubber seals is the Einszett Gummi Pflege Stift Rubber Care Stick. Very easy to use.
Old 03-16-15, 06:36 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Meguiars M40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner. Does a nice job of cleaning and leaves UV protection.
Old 03-16-15, 11:07 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't this an overkill? I also don't like it staining the surrounding paint.

My 8+ year old car still have very good weather stripping and it has never been protected with anything.
Old 03-16-15, 11:22 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by FSportIS

My 8+ year old car still have very good weather stripping and it has never been protected with anything.
The gummi pfledge stick does not stain anything. It simply nourishes and protects the seals.

Overkill? perhaps... but then again most people consider much of what we do to be overkill, so I guess it is all relative.

-Zach
Old 03-16-15, 11:35 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to disagree with you in this instance. Overkill in this case is that the weather stripping does not really need any protection and still able to survive so long 8+ years at least in my case. It does not change cosmetically nor functionally.

Detailing on paint is not overkill because without detailing, the car looks like crap and eventually lead to clear coat failure. The two examples are clearly different.
Old 03-16-15, 12:06 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Sorry to disagree with you in this instance. Overkill in this case is that the weather stripping does not really need any protection and still able to survive so long 8+ years at least in my case. It does not change cosmetically nor functionally.

Detailing on paint is not overkill because without detailing, the car looks like crap and eventually lead to clear coat failure. The two examples are clearly different.
Just to make a comparison... I have seen cars that haven't been waxed in 8+ years and they still look "fine" to the owner... so again, everything is relative. The fact that we see swirls and get upset while 98% of car owners don't even know what swirl marks are would indicate that perhaps all of the time we spend on our exterior appearance is considered overkill by most.

If door seals never went bad, they wouldn't make replacements, yet you can find weather stripping at every auto parts store because it does happen. Who knows whether or not a protective type of product would have helped, but if someone wants to apply something to them... go for it! It literally takes 10 minutes to do and costs a few bucks, so it isn't really a big deal.

After all, detailing is all about doing what makes you feel good about your car. Some people just wash their car... others spend 40 hours perfecting it... it just depends on what you're after.
Old 03-16-15, 02:02 PM
jfelbab

Weatherstripping on my 1991 MR2. This is a 24 year old car that served as my daily driver for over 12. The sun will take a toll on untreated rubber and vinyl. My trim looks darn near like new. I've seen lots of older MR2s and the trim usually looks like crap. If you don't own a car that you like enough to want to keep long term then don't worry about it.

Old 03-18-15, 03:33 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Weatherstripping on my 1991 MR2. This is a 24 year old car that served as my daily driver for over 12. The sun will take a toll on untreated rubber and vinyl. My trim looks darn near like new. I've seen lots of older MR2s and the trim usually looks like crap. If you don't own a car that you like enough to want to keep long term then don't worry about it.

Did you use the M40 stuff on it?

Overkill ? I guess if you think new replacement strip will always be available, and want to spend the time replacing it etc. I don't want to see my ls 's have rotten weather strips.
Old 03-18-15, 06:08 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by dicer
Did you use the M40 stuff on it? ...
Yes. That has been my favorite exterior vinyl&rubber treatment product for many years.
Old 03-18-15, 01:12 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever looked at the weatherstripping on something other than a four door sedan?

Take a look at the window seals on a two door coupe or convertible, and tell me you don't think those need protecting. Without a window frame around the glass, the only thing keeping the elements out is the pressure of the glass against seal. Plus, those seals are a whole lot bigger and more exposed than those on a car with frames around the glass.
Old 03-18-15, 07:15 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
The gummi pfledge stick does not stain anything. It simply nourishes and protects the seals.

Overkill? perhaps... but then again most people consider much of what we do to be overkill, so I guess it is all relative.

-Zach
So true! haha
Old 03-18-15, 07:16 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used Perl on my All-fit lip recently.
Old 09-05-15, 06:35 AM
pewterss
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely protect them otherwise after years they will start fading and cracking. I use pain old simple white lithium grease and take off any excess. And is real cheap to.
Old 09-05-15, 09:29 AM
Joe166
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought grease was bad for rubber. Wrong?

Quick Reply: Weather stripping protection