Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Help! Can't Get water spots out of Paint on Black GS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-03, 08:38 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Can't Get water spots out of Paint on Black GS430

Help! Can't Get water spots out of Paint on Black GS430. I live in South Florida and park my car outside. When it rains and the hood is hot it leaves water spots on my Hood. I tried a quart of vinegar and gallon of water but that did not do anything. My car wash place wants to use a power buffer but I do not want swirl marks. Does anybody have an easy way to remove them without risking more damage to the paint. I wax my car once a month but it still seems to leave water spots every time it rains. Must be acid rain combined with the salty air and coral rock dust.
Old 03-17-03, 08:44 PM
roenick7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My detailer uses some type of acid on my truck to break down the hard water. If you wax every 30 days you should have no spots! Use a different wax 2 coats, clean w/turtle wax soap every week.

Park inside
Old 03-17-03, 08:47 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i live up in west palm beach and have the same problem on my roof and trunk, i recently repainted the hood with my kit. i went all around to places to find out what could b done and they told me it had to b wetsanded, they did a buff and it didn't work. but mayb yours will b eaier since it sounds like it just happen, i moved down last year and had it burn into my paint all last summer cus i didn't know better. now i cover my car every night and park at the end of my driveway under a tree for shade, one of the bad things of living down here if u don't have a garage. i'm going to have the car wetsanded at a proshop but it going 2 cost me a ton, but cheaper than repainting the wholr car or just the roof and trunk.
Old 03-17-03, 09:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok, if vinega doesn't work, try this. you need quite a bit elbow grease. go to auto store and get the 3M imperial hand glaze. it's some sort of rubbing compound. feel it in your hand and you see it's like very very refine sand paper. use a clean cloth, rub some compound on the water sport. it's like sanding it away. see if it takes away the spot. if it does, use more compound and rub harder and harder to get out all the swirl marks and restore the shine
Old 03-18-03, 12:47 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a minor correction, the Imperial Hand Glaze (great product) is what is known as a "glaze", it has no harsh abrasives like a rubbing compound, and isn't intended to remove paint , scratches, or water spots etc but rather darken colors and hide swirls as well as increase gloss by the addition of some fillers and oils in it. It is the FINEST GRIT polish available, and can't remove paint. You always use a glaze after you clean and polish a car, and just before wax. What Romini is saying about feeling the abrasives , is really just fillers in that product, micro fine clays too small to act abrasively.

Romini is on the right track though with his idea, he just got the product mixed up -you need an abrasive product LIKE a rubbing compound or medium grit polish to remove MOST water spots. You can give the glaze a try , who knows, it may work, but if the spots have etched...you're going to need something more abrasive.

A rubbing compound should do it, but...better to try a polishing compound like KIT SCRATCH-OUT, or 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material, or Meguiar's Scratch X first, since they aren't quite as abrasive as a rubbing compound. If they don't work, THEN go to a rubbing compound. No need to remove more paint than necessary.
If you buff a bit with any of those, and the spots are still visible, then they've probably etched too deep to fully remove. But I'm betting they'll come out with some effort.
Hope this helps, good luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 03-18-03 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-18-03, 01:04 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by roenick7
My detailer uses some type of acid on my truck to break down the hard water.
Acetic acid - aka vinegar.

Originally posted by rominl
ok, if vinega doesn't work, try this. you need quite a bit elbow grease. go to auto store and get the 3M imperial hand glaze.
Yep - I've used this, and it works well. Like Guitarman said, 3M calls is a glaze, but its not in the true definition of the word. It still does well.

http://www.carcareonline.com/detail....oduct_id=10103

Last edited by ///MDex; 03-18-03 at 01:10 PM.