Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Washing underside of the LS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 02:52 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing underside of the LS

This maybe a naive question but do you ever need to wash the underside of the Lexus and if so how do you do it on your driveway with a hose?

Just curious as it rained this week in San Diego (I know I was as shocked as you) and I was out driving in it and had to wash the car. (I usually just stop and throw my body over the hood trying to keep it dry) so now am asking the question.

Thank you.
Old 03-03-15, 03:45 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Rain... Just rain?... No. No real need to worry about the underbody.

Here is what cars look like in the Midwest after just a 8 mile drive to work in the salt/snow.
Attached Thumbnails Washing underside of the LS-image-2300751390.jpg  
Old 03-03-15, 03:57 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I rather not wash the underside of the car because that can lead to more problems such as rusting the metals, nuts and bolts faster than normal. Even if you do, who gonna lay down and watch underneath your car??
Old 03-03-15, 03:59 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4

Here is what cars look like in the Midwest after just a 8 mile drive to work in the salt/snow.
That is painful to watch. I thought CA rain was bad enough to make the car dirty. Fortunately, what is shown in your picture never happens in CA.
Old 03-03-15, 07:22 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only time I would do that if there was an oil leak that got fixed. That hasn't happened to the Lexus. I wouldn't worry about it. I was pretty shocked it rained too, just got the car detailed! haha Good thing it's going going to rain this weekend! Detailing time!

Originally Posted by charlesatl
This maybe a naive question but do you ever need to wash the underside of the Lexus and if so how do you do it on your driveway with a hose?

Just curious as it rained this week in San Diego (I know I was as shocked as you) and I was out driving in it and had to wash the car. (I usually just stop and throw my body over the hood trying to keep it dry) so now am asking the question.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by charlesatl

Thank you.
Damn!!! Is this your primary car or do you have a "winter car". I drove in the snow once, never again! Raining in San Diego is like a bizzlard in the midwest! haha

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4

Old 03-03-15, 07:58 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

That is my only car... Salt cleans up easily with good protection on the paint. It's no big deal really as long as you don't let it sit forever.

I snapped this quick picture yesterday after power washing my car. Water still beads nicely despite not being washed (except pressure washing) in over a month of driving in this kind of crud.
Attached Thumbnails Washing underside of the LS-image-1037284061.jpg  
Old 03-03-15, 08:18 PM
charlesatl
Driver

No I have an older beater car but was driving the Lexus when I was ninja attacked by the rain. Thanks for the replies on this subject.
Old 03-04-15, 08:08 AM
huyz13
Rookie

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I rather not wash the underside of the car because that can lead to more problems such as rusting the metals, nuts and bolts faster than normal. Even if you do, who gonna lay down and watch underneath your car??
I see that you're located in CA. Here in DC, we had ICE a couple times the past week. This resulted in a lot of sand and salt. Would you still advise not to wash the underside of the car? I plan on just taking the hose and rinsing off the sand and salt off around the wheels, wheel wells, and underside. Or should I just leave it as be?

Thanks
Old 03-04-15, 09:13 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by huyz13
I see that you're located in CA. Here in DC, we had ICE a couple times the past week. This resulted in a lot of sand and salt. Would you still advise not to wash the underside of the car? I plan on just taking the hose and rinsing off the sand and salt off around the wheels, wheel wells, and underside. Or should I just leave it as be?

Thanks
A rinse or pressure rinse is generally fine... overtime cars in harsh conditions will be more prone to corrosion, but in general it is not going to lead to component failure.

-Zach
Old 03-04-15, 09:28 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by huyz13

Thanks
Yeah, if that is the case, rinsing water is better because water does not corrode metal as fast as salt does.

Man I feel bad for the cars having to go through these harsh condition in states where it is snowing.
Old 03-04-15, 09:53 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel bad for the people who live in Arizona. Crazy sandstorms sometimes! I'm driving there soon too haha

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Yeah, if that is the case, rinsing water is better because water does not corrode metal as fast as salt does.

Man I feel bad for the cars having to go through these harsh condition in states where it is snowing.