Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Foam Cannon for Every Wash?

Old 02-26-15, 04:30 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
The not so pretty suds and the cutie foam differ a lot in beauty but function and clean similarly since they are from the same shampoo. Substance over form like accountants keep saying
The thicker foam dwells on the surface for several minutes, while the soapy water runs right off. The longer the soap dwells the more time it has to break up dirt, therefore the foam lance does help with this pre-soak process.

-Zach
Old 02-26-15, 06:52 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 563 Likes on 385 Posts

I like where this thread is headed
Old 02-26-15, 07:11 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You make a good point!

Originally Posted by FSportIS
The not so pretty suds and the cutie foam differ a lot in beauty but function and clean similarly since they are from the same shampoo. Substance over form like accountants keep saying
What camera are you using Zach?
Old 02-26-15, 07:13 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how much more dwell time though and where is thr proof that more dwell time equate better cleaning? is it true for all shampoo? also, The soapy water even though looks like water, they are actually still dwelling there and still require rinsing.

Anyways, from my actual experience, the cannon gun is sufficient enough for the pre-soak job at hands. The cutie foam from the pricier bigger gun is not necessary. The added cost outweighs that little marginal gain. oh well may be cutie foam from the bigger gun worth the price for some haha

On a related topic, more foam does not necessarily mean more cleaning power. Optimum No Rinse, for example, has no foam and yet still cleans well.
Old 02-26-15, 08:34 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Neither of them are necessary, and that is the truth. There are tons of luxury items in the detailing world that are absolutely not "needed" to detail a car, and I'd argue that the foam gun & canon fall into that category.

I've owned several cameras... Those photos were either taken with a Nikon D5100, D700, or D610 and variety of lenses. Let me know if you've got any photography questions... Happy to help.

-Zach
Old 02-27-15, 01:56 AM
Sosodef79
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Zach,

Thanks for all your info and expertise on my Drying cloth Thread. I would like to purchase a foam gun. Which one do you recommend and is their a thread regarding this? I could not find one.

Thank you in advance
Old 02-27-15, 05:09 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Sosodef79
Hello Zach,

Thanks for all your info and expertise on my Drying cloth Thread. I would like to purchase a foam gun. Which one do you recommend and is their a thread regarding this? I could not find one.

Thank you in advance
Foam Gun (attaches to your hose)
Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun

Foam Lance (attaches to your pressure washer)
DI Foam Lance
*may require adapter to fit onto pressure washer*

Shampoo
While any soap will work with a foaming accessory, these are a couple of my favorite...
CG Maxi Suds
CG Honey Dew Snow Foam
CG Citrus Wash & Gloss

Related Articles
How to Implement a Foam Lance Into Your Wash Routine by Zach McGovern
Product Review DI Foam Lance by Zach McGovern
Setting Up Your DI Foam Lance by Greg Gellas
Product Review HoneyDew Snow Foam by Zach McGovern

Hope that helps

-Zach
Old 02-27-15, 05:57 AM
Sosodef79
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4

DI Foam Lance

Shampoo
While any soap will work with a foaming accessory, these are a couple of my favorite...
CG Maxi Suds
CG Honey Dew Snow Foam
CG Citrus Wash & Gloss

Related Articles

Hope that helps

-Zach

Wow awesome!!! You are da man!
Old 02-27-15, 07:34 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

The thicker foam dwells on the surface for several minutes, while the soapy water runs right off. The longer the soap dwells the more time it has to break up dirt, therefore the foam lance does help with this pre-soak process.

-Zach
I too have Gilmour's foam gun and totally agree that it doesn't cling to the surface for that long but instead just runs. I decided to go with the foam gun since I didn't have any room in the garage for a large gas pressure washer which I prefer. I still do like the foam gun since the foam is able to cling on the surface just long enough to make washing the car easy. This also had to do with the fact that I do not allow my cars to accumulate a lot of dirt and grime.
Old 04-01-16, 06:15 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

DI Foam Lance

Shampoo
CG Maxi Suds
CG Honey Dew Snow Foam
CG Citrus Wash & Gloss

Related Articles

Hope that helps

-Zach

Zach,
Thanks for the links. I watched the video and it looks like mine will need the adaptor. Does it come with the adaptor shown in the clip? Mine is a Subaru gas pressure washer. I just bought it for house and garage work, and wonder if I can get a foam cannon attached to it. It does have its own soap container but I want to be able to foam the car.
Thanks!

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-01-16, 06:53 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

i have the Gilmore Foam Gun that attaches to the hose.. I'm not that impressed with it.. It doesnt cover the car like a foam cannon where the car is completely white with soap.. It covers the car just enough wait about a minute or 2 then rinse off... Im not to excited about washing the car without rinsing first.. Need to get the debris off first IMO
Old 04-01-16, 08:19 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Zach,
Thanks for the links. I watched the video and it looks like mine will need the adaptor. Does it come with the adaptor shown in the clip? Mine is a Subaru gas pressure washer. I just bought it for house and garage work, and wonder if I can get a foam cannon attached to it. It does have its own soap container but I want to be able to foam the car.
Thanks!
There are many, many adapters. You've got to determine which one you need based on the particular connection to your pressure washer.

^image from google search "foam lance adapter"

The chemical reservoir in the pressure washer will not create foam like what you want.

Originally Posted by tmf2004
i have the Gilmore Foam Gun that attaches to the hose.. I'm not that impressed with it.. It doesnt cover the car like a foam cannon where the car is completely white with soap.. It covers the car just enough wait about a minute or 2 then rinse off... Im not to excited about washing the car without rinsing first.. Need to get the debris off first IMO
Gilmour Foam Gun (attaches to garden hose)

Foam Lance (attaches to pressure washer)
Name:  20151112-DSC_8302_zpsxj8foxxr.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  1.12 MB

2 different products, with 2 different results... both make soapy water, but in different ways. If you want thick foam that clings to the surface, you must use a pressure washer and foam lance.

If you want soapy water to use while washing, the foammaster foam gun works very nicely.

We have and use both products

-Zach
Old 04-10-16, 08:45 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i use both... when the car has been driven in the rain i will break out the foam cannon... if the car is not dirty (just dusty)i will break out the foam gun... but i always use either or. i have so much protection on my cars that the foam does not cling as well as i would like. sometimes i may foam the cars twice... followed by the GD method. ONR if the car is dusty, GYEON Bathe+ or Kenotek Brilliant wash, if the car is IMO, filthy.