Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New rx350 5 months old hit pole and scratches

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 11:46 AM
sskrx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rx350 5 months old hit pole and scratches

hi all,
i had a very bad day ..and hit my car to pole at my apartment parking lot.
white scratches long over rear passenger door and just above right side back tire .

uploading pics.please suggest options to fix it properly.
shall i take it to my dealer body shop or local body shops. how much it may cost.
this is my first new car and first major repair
my car color is Fire Agate pearl.. i think it needs paint job. if so please suggest how to get it done.
i am so worried n cursing myself doing this to my new car.

Attached Thumbnails New rx350  5 months old hit pole and scratches-img_2348.jpg   New rx350  5 months old hit pole and scratches-img_2345.jpg   New rx350  5 months old hit pole and scratches-img_2346.jpg  

Last edited by sskrx350; 02-16-15 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-16-15, 12:51 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

What kind of pole was it? Plastic? Concrete? Metal?

Any major damage (ie not these scuff marks)? Are there any dents? Deep scratches? Gouges?

The good news is that there is a good chance that this can at least be improved for a relatively inexpensive cost.

It is very difficult to tell from photos, but it appears that the majority of the white scuff marks are material transfer and are not scratches through your paint (again, just speculating here based on the pics... can't tell for sure). This would be the best case scenario. Assuming I am correct that the majority of the white marks are material transfer, you will need to find a reputable detailer in your area who specializes in paint correction work. This will be much better than a body shop (both in terms of work and price!).

Here is a similar example, though these scuffs were both scratches through the paint and material transfer. In any case, it shows the removal of the material transfer and how much better it looks.

Before

After paint correction

Where exactly are you located? I can try to recommend someone in your area.

-Zach
Old 02-16-15, 01:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Looks like a lot of that can be buffed out, but it also looks like you need some body work. Unless it's the light playing tricks, it looks like your quarter panel is bent, judging from the distorted reflection. In that case, I's send it to a reputable body shop. Hard to tell the scope of it and know if it's something that PDR could help with.
Old 02-16-15, 03:55 PM
sskrx350
Driver School Candidate

Hi
Thanks zmcgovern4 and JDR76 for replies.
i believe there is a small dent at quarter panel area ..also there are few scratches went through paint and i believe they may be deep based on the sound i heard while i swiped through the pole
btw pole seems to be concrete .

Considering there are few scratches through paint and dent also, what are my best options to go for.
shall i opt for insurance if it really costs more than 1k or 2k .
i have 500$ deductable. Also is it good to go to dealership or other body shops. i reside in San Diego area in CA.

thanks,
satish
Old 02-17-15, 07:47 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

Based upon the pics, I would submit a claim to your insurance company if you have a $500 deductible. You could most likely have the dent taken out by a competent Paintless Dent Removal professional but the scratches are too deep to machine compound/polish away which will necessitate paintwork. They will have to paint the rear quarter, blend into the bumper, the right rear door and blend as well possibly into the front door. Get a quote first to see how much you are looking at but I would take it to the Lexus dealer and see who they recommend for repair work.
Old 02-17-15, 10:32 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

if you file a claim with your insurance, for this type of thing, I would assume they'll increase your premiums too, so throw that in your decision tree.
Old 02-17-15, 11:17 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't do insurance in this case because it is you causing damage yourself. It will fall into the "collision" claim category and if it is your fault, for sure, insurance premium will increase. The repair should be less than $1000 and possibly around $500 so you should pay out of pocket.

If you live in Southern CA, I know a body shop that do both: paint correction (way cheaper), or re-paint () depending on how deep the scratches are. They will inspect and inform you what to do. www.dtmautobody.com
I would highly recommend them because they have done custom molding, two tone painting and body kit installations for my cars and the quality is top notch.

Last edited by FSportIS; 02-17-15 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-18-15, 05:14 PM
sskrx350
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys,
thanks for all suggestions.. so today i went to Lexus collision centre and got a quote around 3900$ for repair
Also went to couple of local body shops their quotes are 1200 and 1900$.. Also i have a 1000$ deductable.
So my question is whether to go with Lexus/toyota certified collision centre and go with insurance ..
or go to local body shop and get it done by paying myself and not claim insurance.

please advice. Also can any one suggest good and trusted body shop near Sandiego, CA

Thanks for help.
Old 02-18-15, 09:58 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

if the local shop has good review such as DTM or Platinum VIP, then go to them. Lexus center does not mean top quality. it really depends. read up Yelp reviews and see.

anyways, no matter what you choose, you still end up paying 1000 max so no difference at all. dont go yo cheap place or else thr paint will chip quickly.
Old 02-19-15, 06:19 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I hope this doesn't sound bad (it's not intended to!), but I'm often surprised when people choose to settle for an ineffective repair, rather than use the insurance we all pay through the nose for. You pay for it, and you need it. Use it, and deal with any premium increases. You made a simple mistake that's going to cost money, but it's worth it to keep your new car in the best possible condition. I would find the best paint shop in San Diego that will deal with your insurance company directly, and ask them for the best repair they can provide, as long as the insurance company pays for it. That way the damage or repair won't stand out like a beacon every time you look at your car.

For the record, I had a scratch in our RX fixed (My fault) for about $800, and our insurance didn't go up at all. As much as I have tried, I can't see ANY evidence of the repair, even after more than a year.
Old 02-19-15, 08:13 AM
sskrx350
Driver School Candidate

If I go with insurance . Is this shows up in my car history as an accident ? How bad this will effect my car value ??
Old 02-19-15, 09:42 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

it will likely show up once you file the claim. It will affect the car value a bit but who knows how much. think about it, when you a buyer, would you take a car that has clean record or one that has some kind of accident no matter how minor?

Even if it does not show up, professional painter/ detailers and even someone with keen eyes with the right tool such as paint depth gauge, threy can detect the panels that have been repainted. I can tell on some of the cars.
Old 02-19-15, 11:55 AM
sskrx350
Driver School Candidate

i am confused now .. what is the best way to do .. After doing some research , i find few body shops in SD which are having good reputation.
i am debuting whether to go with insurance or not .esp i have 1k deductable and also the cost of repair mostly may get around 2k. .. so is it worth of spending extra 1k from my pocket and keep the clean title for car..
Old 02-19-15, 01:44 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

$1000 deductible, repair may be $2000, then you have increased insurance premiums forever...(or what may seem like that)

me - I'd just skip filing an insurance claim
Old 02-19-15, 02:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sskrx350
If I go with insurance . Is this shows up in my car history as an accident ? How bad this will effect my car value ??
It depends on your record and insurance company, some won't raise your rates if you have not filed a claim in a while and the accident is minor but likely it will cause your insurance to go up.

A minor fender bender/scrape should not affect the value of your car, I would just document what happened and keep pictures to show that it was just minor body/paint damage if it does show up. When you sell your car and if someone tries lowering the offer because of a minor scrape, just refuse , show them it was properly repaired and only minor and don't take them seriously if they keep insisting on a lower offer because of what you did.

I would not go through your insurance company or pay those high Lexus collision/dealership prices, that $3900 quote is ridiculous and highway robbery. Any decent bodyshop can easily replace or fix/paint those damaged fenders and do a good job for around $1000 or less. You could probably get the fenders yourself and replace them yourself and save a bunch of money, try junkyards around you for fenders.

I would take your time to find a decent place that will do the work for a good price, in the meantime you could try to buff the white scratches out or do some careful wetsanding. You would be surprised what you can repair/make almost invisible with compound and a polisher. I would not go through your insurance for such minor damage.

Last edited by UDel; 02-19-15 at 02:05 PM.

Quick Reply: New rx350 5 months old hit pole and scratches