Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Professional Level Interior Detailing By a Non-Professional DIY guide :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 10:59 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Professional Level Interior Detailing By a Non-Professional DIY guide :)

First and foremost, I have been addicted to detailing more and more especially after owning two nice Lexus IS250 and IS350 and after knowing Zach . I have been researching various detailing topics, talked to various professional detailers, watch a bunch of detailing videos (both good and bad) and tested various products (some good and some bad) and techniques (some big failures and some big successes).

I finally create my own way of doing the interior. I'm not a professional detailer by any mean but with an industrial engineering background with process improvement being the focus, I like testing and come up with the best method that works for me. I don't claim this to be the best method out there but it works perfectly for me.

I use various products because I want the best of not both world, but ALL worlds

Warning: This can be an overkill interior detailing but hey, I want to try to take it to the professional level and treat my car with the best I can

Products to PROTECT:
1. Carpro Cquartz Leather & Vinyl Coating.
Even though this is expensive, it claims to last the longest (up to 2 years) with UV protection. It prevents stain, soiling, oil, dye transfer, everything at the extreme level (IMO, the best out there). Yes, I tested it with permanent marker like they show on the Youtube video and it wipes off completely and easily with alcohol.

2. Ultima Interior Guard Plus
It gives a very clean satin look that repels dust, oil, water. It also prevents stain, soiling, dye transfer. This one claims to last 3 months with UV protection as well. It can be used on all interior surface.

3. 303 Aerospace Protectant
This product, IMO, offers the best UV protection (SPF 40 ). It also gives the best natural just-detailed shine look. It lasts 4-8 weeks typically.

Products to CLEAN:
1. Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel
This product cleans very well with the power of all purpose cleaner (APC) but It is SAFE on leather and would not dry it out like APC does.

2. Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer
This is very mild cleaner and safest to use on sensitive surfaces such as navigation screen.

3. Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner D101 (APC)
This one is heavy duty cleaner that can remove any stubborn stain or soiling.

Tools:
Horse's Hair Upholstery Brush
It is effective yet gentle enough to agitate the leather seats.

4 Microfiber Towels (1 damp to remove APC residue, another 1 to wipe it dry, another dry one for final buff, and extra one to apply 303 protectant)

1 extra whatever towel used to dry floormats. This is to save the 4 other towels from the most dirty floormats.

1 small bucket of clean water

2 bottle of sprayers (solely use for APC, one with 10:1 dilution, and one with 4:1 dilution)

1 stiff nylon brush (get it from HomeDepot)

CLEANING Process:
I broke it down into several sub-processes and do them in this order based my preference.
Cleaning Floormats
1. Remove all-weather rubber floormats
2. Vacuum all the areas under the seat, the seats, and crevices of the seats.
3. Take the floormats away from car and spray APC (4:1 dilution) liberally to the floormats.
4. Agitate the floormats with the stiff brush
5. Rinse them with strong stream of water
6. Shake the floormats as pre-drying step
7. Use the whatever towel to dry the floormat and then leave them outside for complete air dry

Cleaning Leather Seats and vinyl
1. Spray Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel onto the leather seats
2. Agitate with the Horse's Hair Upholstery Brush
Note: Remember to clean the brush often in the bucket of water to keep it as clean as possible.
3. Wipe it dry with 1 dry microfiber towel
4. Repeat this for all leather and vinyl areas.

Cleaning the sensitive areas such as consoles, navigation, dash
These areas should only use mild cleaner so
1. Spray Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer onto the surface.
2. Wipe dry with a microfiber towel.
Do NOT agitate with any brush because that will make swirls and scratches!

Cleaning all the areas under the floor (usually these are the most dirty in the interior)
1. Spray APC one section at a time. Depending on the conditions, for very dirty areas use the (4:1 dilution), and for other areas use (10:1 diolution). IME, 10:1 works fine on most areas except the tough stain.
2. Agitate with the stiff brush.
3. Use a damp microfiber to wipe it
4. Follow up with a dry towel and apply some pressure to blot dry it.
5. You might need to follow up with another dry towel.

PROTECTION process:
Leather & Vinyl surfaces protection I do it based on Carpro website instruction
1. Pour at least 10 drops or one small strip onto the suede wrapped applicator
2. Work CQuartz Leather & Vinyl into the surface including all creases, and texture
3. Gently wipe off any excess within 2-3 minutes
Tips:
When you feel the drag or resistance when you apply it, you know you need to pour some more product to the wrapped applicator.
Flip the suede towel and change it as often as you need
Overlap the sections a bit to ensure complete coverage
You should NOT need to wipe or buff off immediately because the product will be soaked into the leather slowly. Only LIGHTLY and GENTLY buff off the excess if any.

Front dash and other areas that are exposed to sun the most
Since this area is directly exposed to the sun the most, I would only use 303 protectant as it has been proven to give the best UV protection in my opinion. Also, it is very easy to detect when you need to re-apply it based on the look. If the just-detailed shine fades away, I know I should re-apply it. It lasts somewhere from 4 to 8 weeks under hot California sun.
1. I spray 303 protectant liberally onto 1 microfiber towel
2. Apply it to the front dash and ensure complete coverage
3. Wipe and buff off the excess immediately

All remaining areas
I use Ultima Interior Guard Plus. It gives better durability than 303 and better silky smooth feel. It is the simplest to apply
1. Spray 2-4 sprays onto the foam applicator that is provided
2. Simply wipe on and walk away as the product will do it magic.
Do NOT wipe or buff off immediately.
3. wait 10-15 minutes, and LIGHTLY wipe off any excess.
In my experience, I just wipe on and let it do it magic and come back the next day to wipe off any excess. It did not streak whatsoever. Make sure you apply the product evenly on all the surface.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 02-12-15 at 11:51 AM. Reason: edited links to make more readable
Old 02-12-15, 11:53 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Good info Kevin... thanks for sharing.

It is also worth noting that CQuartz Leather & Vinyl should be applied in several coats for best durability and protection. I recommend 3+ coats on the driver's seat, and 2-3 coats on all other seats.
Old 02-12-15, 04:05 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the post! I wanted to try the ultima interior guard but DI doesn't carry that brand. The Cquartz protectant is on my next list! Going to use Perl for now!
Old 02-12-15, 04:37 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Glock47
Thanks for the post! I wanted to try the ultima interior guard but DI doesn't carry that brand. The Cquartz protectant is on my next list! Going to use Perl for now!
DI should be picking up CQ Leather coat sometime this year
Old 02-12-15, 04:44 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

For leather, Carpro Cquartz Leather & Vinyl coating is the best. Nothing can really stick to it, permanent marker, and even super glue does no effect. In addition, the feel is the best--super silky smooth, slick but not slippery. Nothing can comes close to it, not even Ultima Interior Guard Plus.

I used whole 30ml bottle to cover all the leather seats and the vinyl on the doors on my IS350. It was enough for 3 coats on driver and passenger's seats but all other area have only 2 coats. The product seems to dry/flash very quickly. I have to add new drops to the applicator very often.

Last edited by FSportIS; 02-12-15 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-12-15, 05:43 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Is this the same stuff professional detailers use or do they have a better version? Like Cquartz uk vs Cquartz finest. There's a local detailer charging $350 for the interior detail with this stuff!
Old 02-12-15, 05:44 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Is this the same stuff professional detailers use or do they have a better version? Like Cquartz uk vs Cquartz finest. There's a local detailer charging $350 for the interior detail with this stuff!
There is no professional version of CQ leather.

-Zach
Old 02-12-15, 07:53 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
DI should be picking up CQ Leather coat sometime this year
Woot woot! Do these products smell good? I read somewhere 303 had a bad ordor so I didn't buy it. I want to preserve as much "new car smell" as possible. I also want protection so the wet MF cloth might not be enough.
Old 02-12-15, 08:32 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Woot woot! Do these products smell good? I read somewhere 303 had a bad ordor so I didn't buy it. I want to preserve as much "new car smell" as possible. I also want protection so the wet MF cloth might not be enough.
303 has no noticeable odor to me.

Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer smells nice. Haven't used Ultima Interior products.
Old 02-13-15, 09:35 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I agree with Zach. In addition, The thing I don't like about Ultima is its smell. It is kind of strong but quickly fade away. It has been on 2 days and it is almost gone. Ultima makes almost all surface super silky smooth even the navigation screen. You will like touching everything in your car more, seriously. You try it and will know what i mean. Carpro Leather coating brings that smooth touch feel to the next level.
Old 02-23-15, 07:58 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Is the QCuartz leather coating worth the money? My seats are nlux.i think there's another CQuartz version but it's only to repel water. I wonder if simple green will work other than Ultima shampoo gel? I'm just using Perl for now. I'm using mothers VLR too but I'm tired of the smell and it's semi-greasy .
Old 02-24-15, 10:40 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Cquarts leather works fine so far as I'm still monitoring its durability. Beside repelling water, protection wise, it is the best out there for leather because nothing can really stick to it, not even extreme permanent marker nor super glue. Alcohol can wipe these off completely and easily like they show in the video.

For cleaning, don't use anything else that is not meant for car interior. Not even all purpose cleaner, nor simple green nor whatever, they can clean well but hey they can also dry the hell out of everything and in the long run, plastic, vinyl, leather or whatever will tend to crack. I tested APC and will not use it again on car leather.

I tested Ultima Shampoo Gel and it cleans very well, no need to rinse, and seems safe (no drying out anything) so that is why I really like it.

The Ultima Interior Guard Plus is absolutely the easiest to apply (wipe on, walk away, no need to buff) and it gives you the best butter smooth feel. That feel still last more than 1 week so far and I'm still monitoring. If you apply it to the steering wheel, you will like driving your car even more. I will highly recommend you try this thing out and guarantee you like its smoothness.
Old 02-24-15, 05:34 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, I will try it out!
Old 02-25-15, 08:57 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Is the QCuartz leather coating worth the money? My seats are nlux.i think there's another CQuartz version but it's only to repel water. I wonder if simple green will work other than Ultima shampoo gel? I'm just using Perl for now. I'm using mothers VLR too but I'm tired of the smell and it's semi-greasy .
My feeling is this....Is it needed? No.... Is it useful? Yep.

Most of the leather in vehicles these days already has a factory applied protective coating on it... meaning you are not sitting directly on the hide of the animal, but there is something else applied on top of it (think of it as a clear coat). This coat protects the leather from the wear and tear associated with sliding, sitting, pushing, sweating, etc that happens on the seat on a daily basis. Now... this does not mean your seat does not need additional cleaning & protection. For those of us who don't mind cleaning our vehicles on a regular basis, and have a good habit of keeping the leather clean, it may be as simple as weekly wipedowns. I personally rarely have any passengers in my vehicle, and I rarely eat/drink in my vehicle, and I have black leather... so the possibilities of spills, stains, pet damage, messes from kids, etc is very minimal and therefore maintenance is also very minimal.

If you're in a situation where you have lighter colored leather, have passengers (children, adults, both), and are more prone to spills/stains, then maintenance requirements go up a lot... in this case, you're going to want something that makes the maintenance that much easier. This is where CQuartz Leather & Vinyl will really provide a good deal of benefit and make that small investment seem very worthwhile.

This is similar to paint coatings for your vehicle... are they needed? No. are they nice to have? yep. and for many of the same reasons... if you don't mind waxing your vehicle every month (or sealing it every few months... or both), or you don't drive your vehicle in poor weather and keep it in the garage at all times, etc. then the added cost of a paint coating may not be as persuasive. If you're someone who is very limited on time, drives their cars daily, doesn't have a garage, etc. then the additional protection of a paint coating is likely worth the additional cost if you want to keep your car looking great.

It is all about perceived value... this is also the same reason why the vast majority of car owners don't know about or care about swirls in their paint... they just don't see the value in paying good money to have it corrected by a professional or spend $ on the tools required to DIY. The vast majority of car owners have no problem driving their car through a tunnel wash with the rain x protection, and then the car is "detailed".

Also, FWIW, I have used all purpose cleaner to clean the leather of many vehicles (my own included) and have never seen any ill effects. I use Meguiar's D103 diluted 10:1, often followed by steam, and it works very well. Before trying a product on a new vehicle, it is always a good idea to test it in an inconspicuous area... this goes for any type of leather product.

-Zach
Old 02-25-15, 09:31 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Zach, that is very good explanation of the "why" doing coating in general. I very much agree with you.

Regarding the APC, if the leather is no longer having clear protective coat which happened to my 2006 IS350 tan leather, the APC can remove the dye quickly and dry it out. I did a test section on it to find this out. When I use a dedicated cleaner such as Ultima Shampoo Gel on another section, it works out fine.

Also, APC is very basic solution with ph level of 12 or so. Even with diluting it, you would not get it back to ph balance at 7. For most interior and in the short term, you wouldn't see any problem. However, in the long term, that is another thing. I don't want to gamble it in my car and hence no APC in car leather. I use APC for floortmats, carpets, or trims that have heavy stains, and tires only for now.

Both my cars' interior are relatively very clean, no stain, no mess, hence I don't really need a heavy cleaner like APC in most of the interior.

To sum everything up, APC is a good cleaner especially tackling stain. However, the user needs to be cautious in using it. IMO, it should not be used on uncoated leather or coated leather that has failing clear coat.

Quick Reply: Professional Level Interior Detailing By a Non-Professional DIY guide :)