Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Professional Level Interior Detailing By a Non-Professional DIY guide :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-15, 09:40 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Regarding the APC, if the leather is no longer having clear protective coat which happened to my 2006 IS350 tan leather, the APC can remove the dye quickly and dry it out. I did a test section on it to find this out. When I use a dedicated cleaner such as Ultima Shampoo Gel on another section, it works out fine.
Correct... which is why I specifically mentioned coated leather. Non-coated leather requires a completely different level of care as it will need to be nourished and moisturized since it truly is a piece of skin. For this reason, there are products like Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil and Pristine Clean that work great on uncoated leather. (works great on coated leather, too )

Also, APC is very basic solution with ph level of 12 or so. Even with diluting it, you would not get it back to ph balance at 7. For most interior and in the short term, you wouldn't see any problem. However, in the long term, that is another thing. I don't want to gamble it in my car and hence no APC in car leather. I use APC for floortmats, carpets, or trims that have heavy stains, and tires only for now.

Both my cars' interior are relatively very clean, no stain, no mess, hence I don't really need a heavy cleaner like APC in most of the interior.

To sum everything up, APC is a good cleaner especially tackling stain. However, the user needs to be cautious in using it. IMO, it should not be used on uncoated leather or coated leather that has failing clear coat.
You've hit the nail on the head... why use a heavy cleaner if you don't have to. Personally, I usually clean my own leather with water (steam) because it is never dirty enough to need any chemical assistance. We preach about the "golden rule of paint correction", but it applies to nearly all aspects of detailing... always use the least aggressive method first.
Old 02-25-15, 09:55 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, nicely put!

I would also add that if the owners maintain the car both interior and exterior properly on a regular basis. The car should be in good shape inside and outside that should not require any aggressive method at all. Hence, I want to add another golden rule to your detailing industry or anywhere else: "Prevention is better than cure"
Old 02-25-15, 04:59 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys will go down as the great philopshers of auto detailing! Haha
Old 02-25-15, 05:42 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Haha, I take it as a compliment.

Right on the your topic of detailing philosophy, after getting more involved in detailing recently, I see it very much an modern day of art form that blends with science particularly chemistry and physics. Therefore, knowing physics and chemistry plus having appreciation of this art, it makes you a better detailer.

At the end I'm still a detailer in training just like you lol. Still have a lot to learn from the master Zach and other pros
Old 02-27-15, 10:40 PM
pugua
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For leather, Carpro Cquartz Leather & Vinyl coating is the best. Nothing can really stick to it, permanent marker, and even super glue does no effect. In addition, the feel is the best--super silky smooth, slick but not slippery. Nothing can comes close to it, not even Ultima Interior Guard Plus.

I used whole 30ml bottle to cover all the leather seats and the vinyl on the doors on my IS350. It was enough for 3 coats on driver and passenger's seats but all other area have only 2 coats. The product seems to dry/flash very quickly. I have to add new drops to the applicator very often.
Thanks for the detailed write-up!

I was wondering if you (or any one else here) would recommend using Cquartz on the NuLuxe material on the 3IS cars. Or would you rather recommend 303 Aerospace or some maybe something else?

Thanks for any tips!
Old 02-28-15, 08:53 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure Cquartz leather can be used on nuluxe. I'm planning to do it. 303 is a different product which doesn't last as long as Cquartz.

Originally Posted by pugua

I was wondering if you (or any one else here) would recommend using Cquartz on the NuLuxe material on the 3IS cars. Or would you rather recommend 303 Aerospace or some maybe something else?

Thanks for any tips!
Old 03-03-15, 10:13 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pugua

Thanks for any tips!
From my understanding, NuLuxe is very similar to leather. The difference is it being synthetic material that doesn't 'breathe' as well as natural leather. It is more durable than leather though.

Anyways, IMO, I agree with Glock47, you can use either products. If you don't mind applying 303 every 1-2 month, it really rocks in term of UV protection and has been tested and proven by many including me. If you want to do it once and for all, go with Cquartz leather coating which will last 1-2 years.

The major benefit that Cquartz leather offers better than 303 is the dye transfer, stain resistance. That is why it is very easy to clean after the coating because nothing can really stick to it so a damp microfiber is all you need.

Watch this extreme testing of the Cquartz Leather Coating and you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 03-09-15, 08:36 PM
pugua
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Glock47 and FSportIS!

I'll give the 303 Aerospace a try - the protection looks amazing!
Old 05-13-15, 12:23 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Bump this for people looking to learn how to protect their car interior!
Old 05-13-15, 02:18 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Had my leather and panels coated by Lustr a couple weeks ago. Can't really tell the difference to be honest. I may do the fabric coat on my carpet.

Besides 303, what you use for the plastic panels? I have some Perl. Either you or Zach chime in?
Old 05-13-15, 02:40 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Any tips for the wood steering wheel, since the top part is most exposed to the elements?
Also, I know Gummi Pflege and even 303 is popular for weatherstripping, but I talked to a detailing shop and they said they only use mink oil. Anyone have experience using that on the weatherstripping?

Last edited by NickTee; 05-13-15 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-13-15, 03:30 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by popping
Had my leather and panels coated by Lustr a couple weeks ago. Can't really tell the difference to be honest. I may do the fabric coat on my carpet.

Besides 303, what you use for the plastic panels? I have some Perl. Either you or Zach chime in?
Right, the Carpro Cquartz doesn't change much in term of appearance but the protection it gives is second to none. If you dare to do, test ink transfer on some areas in the seat and just like the video shows, alcohol can easily wipe the ink off. That will not be the case without the protection. However, the easiest test is drop some water on it and you will see it beading up lol and won't soak in.

I used all weather rubber mat and therefore did not do any fabric coat. The rubber mat lasts many years without any problem and I think that is a better solution than coating the fabric.

I'm always big fan of 303 and it works like a champ for plastic panels. I like its look and UV protection the best. I have tried Perl too but i find it does attract dust plus it is kind of oily/greasy so I don't like it much. Some others like Perl but not me. I will stick with 303 which has been proven to work good in my case.
Old 05-13-15, 03:33 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NickTee
Any tips for the wood steering wheel, since the top part is most exposed to the elements?
Also, I know Gummi Pflege and even 303 is popular for weatherstripping, but I talked to a detailing shop and they said they only use mink oil. Anyone have experience using that on the weatherstripping?
I have used 303 couple times with the weatherstripping but in 3.5 years, I don't notice any difference yet. Both weatherstripping with and without protection still work good hence I stop applying anything to it. I don't think it is exposed to sun that much so it seems optional to do.