Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

First time using Opti-Clean as a quick detailer/waterless wash

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-15, 06:20 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default First time using Opti-Clean as a quick detailer/waterless wash

A week after my wash, the car acummlated a little dust. Doesn't look too horrible so I decided to do a waterless wash. I bought Opti-clean because it had more polymers than ONR. I wanted it just for a quick detailer/waterless wash. I will experiment with No rinse soon.

I applied the OC pretty liberal. I used almost the entire bottle! I didn't want to get the concentrate until I knew I liked it and I do. It cleans pretty well! I cleaned it using multiple Kirkland microfiber towels(I know I need better MF towels)! It turned out pretty well. Probably cut have the time of traditional washing. I didn't get to use it on the wheels because I was sort of in a hurry and the rims aren't too dirty. I'll clean them tomorrow. I'm still learning the techniques on how to do all this stuff but it's a good start!

5 hours later the car had a couple of dead bug spots! I had to clean it again! One spot was a pain to do and still semi-dirty. I really need to get coated soon! Just realized I didn't take any after pix of the rear but it's clean! Wasn't too hard for the dirt to come off! I'm sure hydro2 helped with the cleaning as well!

The before. Is this too dirty for WW?

Frontend was not too dirty.

Opti-bond still working!

My quick aresenal I keep in the trunk.

Dirty!

Clean!

Some dead bug spots 😭
Old 02-10-15, 07:16 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

get some QUALITY MF TOWELS... The Rag Company.com... optimum products are among the best, get gallons of everything. when you finally use ONR, utilize the GD method, you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-10-15, 07:31 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn that looks good Im gonna order a bottle.

Edit: can I use this with a Chamois?

Last edited by Justin2JZ; 02-10-15 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-10-15, 08:12 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
Damn that looks good Im gonna order a bottle.

Edit: can I use this with a Chamois?
No. A chamois should never touch your vehicle. While they are absorbent, they do not have any fibers / pile like a MF towel does. This lack of pile means that any small particle of dirt or debris is forced against your paint as you are wiping instead of being captured in the fibers of the towel.

I'd recommend investing in some quality microfiber towels! (<- yes, investing... quality towels are pricey, but they are one of the most important tools in a detailers arsenal of products! all of the work of cleaning your car is for nothing if the towels you use are just going to damage the paint)

For waterless washing with Optimum Opti-Clean or rinseless washing with Optimum No Rinse, you will want plenty of nice, plush towels. I prefer the double thick edgeless plush towels. For drying, I use waffle weave microfiber towels.

Let me know if you've got any questions.

-Zach
Old 02-10-15, 07:29 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
No. A chamois should never touch your vehicle. While they are absorbent, they do not have any fibers / pile like a MF towel does. This lack of pile means that any small particle of dirt or debris is forced against your paint as you are wiping instead of being captured in the fibers of the towel.

I'd recommend investing in some quality microfiber towels! (<- yes, investing... quality towels are pricey, but they are one of the most important tools in a detailers arsenal of products! all of the work of cleaning your car is for nothing if the towels you use are just going to damage the paint)

For waterless washing with Optimum Opti-Clean or rinseless washing with Optimum No Rinse, you will want plenty of nice, plush towels. I prefer the double thick edgeless plush towels. For drying, I use waffle weave microfiber towels.

-Zach
Are these okay for waterless washing and quick detailing? They were in my cart!

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...05/16-x-16-S1/
Old 02-10-15, 07:33 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Glock47
Are these okay for waterless washing and quick detailing? They were in my cart! http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...05/16-x-16-S1/
Those aren't as plush as the ones I posted, but they'll probably work ok.

EDIT: I was mistaken... I thought you shared a link to these 'Grey on Grey' towels... I haven't actually used the Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel, but they seem to look nice!

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 02-11-15 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 08:00 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Those aren't as plush as the ones I posted, but they'll probably work ok.
Do you recommend the same for QD'ing and reload?
Old 02-11-15, 09:05 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by popping
Do you recommend the same for QD'ing and reload?
Yes, a quality towel is absolutely necessary for QDing / Waterless Washing.

Also remember to use enough QD solution to provide good lubrication between the towel and your paint. Never 'scrub' the paint or use much pressure. Use slow, gentle wipes.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 02-11-15 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 09:08 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

-Zach
Okay thanks man. Guess ill take it back. I have two MF towels but theyre not big enough and theyre thin.