Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailer in training (not really)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 10:37 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Hydro 2 on my GS beads great Im impressed. The Optibond however in my case doesnt feel dry totally and still slings a little.

Old 02-05-15, 11:00 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow Hydro2 beads like Reload. Nice looking GS

I would recommend Tuf Tire Shine for tire coating. It is totally dry to touch and last months and months...
Old 02-05-15, 03:35 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
The Hydro 2 on my GS beads great Im impressed. The Optibond however in my case doesnt feel dry totally and still slings a little.
After you apply opti-bond, allow it to dry for at least 30 minutes before driving, (overnight is best) and if you applied it heavily and it has not dried completely then lightly wipe the tire with a towel to remove excess product... This will eliminate any residual product that may sling.

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 02-05-15 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 09:06 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ

Looks amazing! Yeah, I left the Opti-bond over night and it's great!
Old 02-06-15, 07:16 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Wow Hydro2 beads like Reload. Nice looking GS

I would recommend Tuf Tire Shine for tire coating. It is totally dry to touch and last months and months...
Ill finish off this optibond bottle if I dont get it right the next time I apply it Ill try out the Tuf.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
After you apply opti-bond, allow it to dry for at least 30 minutes before driving, (overnight is best) and if you applied it heavily and it has not dried completely then lightly wipe the tire with a towel to remove excess product... This will eliminate any residual product that may sling.

-Zach
Thanks man Ill try this out. Is there a way I can strip it off my tires and then reapply it? Dont mean to thread jack OP.

Originally Posted by Glock47
Looks amazing! Yeah, I left the Opti-bond over night and it's great!
Thanks man Im going to redo it.
Old 02-06-15, 08:19 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Since OB is simply a water based dressing, it is easily removed with a tire cleaner and tire brush. No need to remove before reapplication though... Over time, OB will help keep your tires darker and nourished with regular application.

The key is to apply very thin coats, waiting at least 30 min between applications, and if needed, wipe away excess product. Same goes for any tire dressing

-Zach
Old 02-06-15, 09:28 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Yeah thin coat works best. I think drying times depends on product too. Tuf Tire Shine dries in 5-15 minutes depending on temperature and humidity. In CA weather, Tuf dries in 5 mins before I add another layer.

Zach, can I try other water-based (non-silicon) tire dressing on Tuf Tire Shine to refresh that wet look every 2-3 months or so? Is there any adverse effect?? Would it affect future Tuf Shine layer to bond properly? I think no right since they are all water-based??
Old 02-06-15, 12:24 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Zach, can I try other water-based (non-silicon) tire dressing on Tuf Tire Shine to refresh that wet look every 2-3 months or so? Is there any adverse effect?? Would it affect future Tuf Shine layer to bond properly? I think no right since they are all water-based??
I'd say you should be completely fine using another water based product over tuf shine to increase gloss... before adding another layer of tuf shine, simply clean the tires appropriately.
Old 02-06-15, 01:09 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I'd say you should be completely fine using another water based product over tuf shine to increase gloss... before adding another layer of tuf shine, simply clean the tires appropriately.
The reason I asked is because I still have other tire dressings (Blackfire, Optibond, Perl etc) laying around so I just want to use them all up. It is good to hear they are compatible with Tuf. As an analogy, Tuf to other water based tire dressing is like coating to sealant relationship or Cquarz to Reload lol.

The Tuf is very tough, 2 months so far (if I remember correctly) and still strong, just the shine/gloss fade to semi-gloss.
Old 02-08-15, 11:34 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Is the tuf kit needed or can I use Carpro Eraser to strip the dressing before applying tuf tire? I;m sure I can use eraser in the future so it would be multipurpose!
Old 02-09-15, 02:09 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

The Tuf Shine cleaner and brush are needed prior to applying the coating. Eraser is NOT a tire cleaner.

-Zach
Old 02-09-15, 10:38 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, I figured since eraser removed oils and etc. I'll try out the kit!
Old 02-09-15, 11:06 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Glock47
Thanks, I figured since eraser removed oils and etc. I'll try out the kit!
Eraser helps to remove polishing oils, however these are not the same as the residue that builds up on your tire. Tire cleaners contain chemicals specifically formulated to break down the dirt and grime found on your tire.

The Tuf Shine products are all meant to be used together, so the Tire Appearance Kit is a great idea
Old 02-09-15, 11:31 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

+1 on Zach, if you ever use Tire Shine. For the 1st application, Tuf Cleaner and their brush is a MUST. How I know. I failed in my 1st application cleaning the tires using a bunch of other cleaner including household APC, wheel cleaner, and even lacquer thinner (Yep no kidding) + a bunch of brush from toothbrush to heavy cleaning brush, yep fail fail fail. I contacted Zach who referred me to contact Tuf company, they talked to me on the phone and sent me kit for free with their cleaner and brush, then I clean the tires thoroughly many times until white foam appear. Bam, it was successful and my tires are clean and shinny for 2+ months now.

Tuf Tire Shine under sun:

Tuf Tire Shine under daytime lighting

Last edited by FSportIS; 02-09-15 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-09-15, 02:13 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Those tires looks nice! It's holding up?

+1 on Zach, if you ever use Tire Shine. For the 1st application, Tuf Cleaner and their brush is a MUST. How I know. I failed in my 1st application cleaning the tires using a bunch of other cleaner including household APC, wheel cleaner, and even lacquer thinner (Yep no kidding) + a bunch of brush from toothbrush to heavy cleaning brush, yep fail fail fail. I contacted Zach who referred me to contact Tuf company, they talked to me on the phone and sent me kit for free with their cleaner and brush, then I clean the tires thoroughly many times until white foam appear. Bam, it was successful and my tires are clean and shinny for 2+ months now.

Tuf Tire Shine under sun:

Tuf Tire Shine under daytime lighting

Quick Reply: Detailer in training (not really)