Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

IS - leather seat problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 01:32 PM
xchriz012x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS - leather seat problems

this is my first beige leather in a lexus. previously had black leather but this is totally different from it. it's very hard to keep it clean and the leather seems very sensitive and weak. the top layer is coming off already and cracks and rips everywhere. i can't wear dark washed jeans because it stains so badly. btw pic was taken after it was cleaned with leather cleaner. are people with beige leather having the same problems? the car only has 39000 miles and the leather started to peel only at 30000. is this normal? never had peeling or cracking problems in black leather before.
is this normal?

Old 02-02-15, 02:13 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you protect it properly, then it is not normal. Otherwise, I think the top coating has wear off and then someone possibly uses some harsh cleaner on it. I suspect this is exposed to sun UV damage too.

I have the same color leather on my old IS350 2006 but I always use 303 aerospace protectant to prevent UV damage and stain problem. My leather still looks brand new with some wrinkle here and there.

In a matter of fact, I did deep clean all my interior leather yesterday with vacuum and Meguairs APC diluted at 15:1. I finally apply a Carpro Leather &Vinyl coat on it and now they look and feel soft, better than brand new.

I have to agree with you that keeping it clean isn't easy but with 303 product or some leather coating, it should prevent stain, dye transfer, dirt, and soiling.

Last edited by FSportIS; 02-02-15 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-02-15, 02:15 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I think you would need to restore your leather. If you did, I greatly recommend you put a leather coating on top to protect it. As I said above, I just apply Carpro Leather & Vinyl Coating on it yesterday.
Old 02-02-15, 02:34 PM
xchriz012x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FSportIS
If you protect it properly, then it is not normal. Otherwise, I think the top coating has wear off and then someone possibly uses some harsh cleaner on it. I suspect this is exposed to sun UV damage too.

I have the same color leather on my old IS350 2006 but I always use 303 aerospace protectant to prevent UV damage and stain problem. My leather still looks brand new with some wrinkle here and there.

In a matter of fact, I did deep clean all my interior leather yesterday with vacuum and Meguairs APC diluted at 15:1. I finally apply a Carpro Leather &Vinyl coat on it and now they look and feel soft, better than brand new.

I have to agree with you that keeping it clean isn't easy but with 303 product or some leather coating, it should prevent stain, dye transfer, dirt, and soiling.
thanks for your reply.
i've been using what lexus recommended me to use. bought it from lexus service department.
geez...worst leather ever.
Old 02-02-15, 02:54 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Look like Jean dye on the leather and abonormal wear. Mine is grey leather 7yrs old and still look clean. No cracking if you maintain it and watch what you wear on it. I would use leather master strong cleaner over Lexus brand all day.
Old 02-02-15, 03:05 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd recommend a dark seat cushion for the driver side seat. I can't imagine not wearing what I want in my car
Old 02-02-15, 03:53 PM
Allan1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 02-02-15, 04:43 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It looks like a case of neglect. The clear coat has peeled off. You should regularly clean your leather, especially when it is light colored. It should be regularly treated with a UV protectant and coating to prevent ink/dye transfer. Leather master makes a number of products that may help in your situation.
Old 02-02-15, 05:48 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure doesn't seem normal to me. Might be worth complaining to Lexus. Worst that can happen is they won't help. Please note, with these treated leathers most leather conditioners don't do much because the product rubs off the surface as soon as you sit in it. So a lot of them will not offer any UV protection. There are a few products that are supposed to help with UV protection of the treated leathers. So you might want to investigate that, although I think it is too late for your seats.
Old 02-02-15, 07:39 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

carpro leather coating does help as it bonds to the leather like a clear coat does and it will protect for 2 years or so.
Old 02-02-15, 08:49 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like neglect, maybe hard leather is better suited for you or pleather.
Old 02-02-15, 10:51 PM
jv6792
Rookie

i have the same color seats. 50k miles and looks nothing like urs.. i clean as needed and use conditioner on it weekly. i also make sure never to put any sharps in my back pockets when i drive for ex., keys, switch blades, money clips etc. oh and i also try to step in and out of my car. dont slide in or out
Old 02-03-15, 11:01 AM
EDYGRIFFIN
Driver School Candidate

mine is starting to look unappealing like your seats and I just hit 36,000 miles!

I put leather conditioner/cleaner once a month and let it sit and cure on before sitting/getting in or out of the vehicle. I got the nice nice window tint all around and use the sun visor religiously but it still is starting to wrinkle like yours....but no dye transfer that I have noticed.
Old 02-05-15, 11:10 AM
my1s250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jv6792
i have the same color seats. 50k miles and looks nothing like urs.. i clean as needed and use conditioner on it weekly. i also make sure never to put any sharps in my back pockets when i drive for ex., keys, switch blades, money clips etc. oh and i also try to step in and out of my car. dont slide in or out
yup I do the same thing too step in and out of car sometime when im lazy though and notice my rear or back will hit the side of the seat....