Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Local detail shop is going to stop using Opti-Coat, deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-15, 01:23 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Glock47
That's a pretty good deal! I wonder if it's a big difference from Pro. Another shop that's local from me quoted me $265 and a 20%discount ($212). No warranty! hmm I wonder if it's enough paint correction. They're new and I didn't see any yelp reviews.

http://www.firstclassdetailingsd.com/#!services/ceb2
212 is too cheap for paint correction + coating. I don't think you will have any quality work with this price. You don't want to have bad work on your new car.

You want to do it once, do it right the first time. John did a pretty good job especially on my 8 year old IS350. I also did a review of the Opticoat 2.0 here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...s-amazing.html
Front

IS350 super shine hood

Fender shine

Last edited by FSportIS; 01-30-15 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-30-15, 02:01 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like he did a great job! Yeah, I kind of don't trust that detailer. I'm sure it's good but I want to do it once! I might go with John or the detail place that quoted me $500.

Originally Posted by FSportIS
212 is too cheap for paint correction + coating. I don't think you will have any quality work with this price. You don't want to have bad work on your new car.

You want to do it once, do it right the first time. John did a pretty good job especially on my 8 year old IS350. I also did a review of the Opticoat 2.0 here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...s-amazing.html
Front

IS350 super shine hood

Fender shine

Old 02-21-15, 10:11 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Default Update! Finally getting coated

After contemplating between Opti-Coat Pro vs. Cquartz UK, I decided to do Opti-Coat Pro. I decided on Opti-Coat Pro primarily because of the deal.I really wanted to do the Cquartz Finest but it's out of my budget and there's a possibility I will be trading in my car in a few years. My car is ultra white, differences may not be as major in the gloss department!

The deal includes a 1 step and coating of the car, headlights, taillights, and wheels. I didn't really need paint correction or any major correction that a one step couldn't take care of. Owner seems pretty cool, so I hope it turns out well. I'll post pictures when it's complete! I plan to use Reload in a month or so it enhance the protection as well as enhance the gloss.(Thanks Zach)
Old 02-21-15, 05:39 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty impressed with the Opti-Coat pro! The guy said there was not a lot of correction needed, a couple of wash lines but it was all taken care of with the one step. I didn't believe people when they said it looked better than the first day they go it but it's totally true. Bad camera pictures but it is really glossy! The rims looks amazing as well! Took a total of 6hrs+! Not bad for Gloss-Coat and Cquartz uk pricing! Will post more pictures when the sun comes out!

So glossy

Really impressed with the rims!

Wash marks gone

Garage lights

Feels a little tacky but that's why it's working!

The Ferrari 458 is getting the diamond package, 9 coats of ceramic pro 9h!!!! It would be comparable to carpro immoral!

Last edited by Jbreezie; 02-21-15 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-22-15, 11:49 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

is the opticoat pro finish slicker/smoother than the opticoat 2.0 finish?
Old 02-22-15, 12:08 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tea
is the opticoat pro finish slicker/smoother than the opticoat 2.0 finish?
I'm wondering the same. It's not 100% cured but I can describe it as hard glass. I was expecting sand paper feeling for some reason.
Old 02-22-15, 01:37 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

OC2.0 and OCP have a similar tacky feeling to them.

Apply reload or a wax to an area on top of the opti-coat and rub the back of your hand along the surface... You'll feel the huge difference in slickness.
Old 02-22-15, 02:04 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the responses!
Old 02-22-15, 02:32 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Can't wait to try the reload! It looks amazing as it is now!

I hope the rain won't cause hard spots. It's going to rain today and tomorrow!
Old 02-23-15, 11:41 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Congrats man... lol it seems like you did what I did. Opticoat and topping with Reload haha. Enjoy the beads!!!
For Reload, if you experience any issue, let me know. I have a lot of experience with Reload application process and seen a lot of what can go wrong lol.

Opticoat is prone to water spots during its curing time (1 week to few weeks) from my experience especially on a dark blue car. You better have a quick detailer to gently wipe off any bird attack or water spots as soon as possible during the first few weeks to be safe.
Old 02-23-15, 01:43 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Couldn't pass up the deal! I was thinking about layering it with gloss coat but I might be overkill. I'll see how reload looks. I'm planning to do this:

Wash car with Reset
Iron x and Tar x
Then Reload

What do you think? I wonder if decontamination once a month is overkill? I just want to avoid claying but maybe every 6 months will be okay.

It might rain again today, hopefully no water spots! I might have to break out the opticlean.

You should post pictures with the reload and glaze!

Congrats man... lol it seems like you did what I did. Opticoat and topping with Reload haha. Enjoy the beads!!!
For Reload, if you experience any issue, let me know. I have a lot of experience with Reload application process and seen a lot of what can go wrong lol.

Opticoat is prone to water spots during its curing time (1 week to few weeks) from my experience especially on a dark blue car. You better have a quick detailer to gently wipe off any bird attack or water spots as soon as possible during the first few weeks to be safe.
Old 02-23-15, 02:11 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Noooooo!!! Do NOT Ironx nor tar x right after application!!!

The car should have been decontaminated BEFORE Opticoat application. Right now, all you need is Reload on top of Opticoat.

6 months to 1 year from now, you could use Iron X. If you wash your car weekly/biweekly, your car should not be that contaminated. I used Iron X on my car roughly 8 months after Opticoat and my car turns out very little purple (meaning little contamination). I do not recommend Tar X unless you have so much tar on your car. Since you live in Southern CA like me, I know we have little to no tar lol plus that tar remover can be quite harsh on the coating so no.

If you have Opticoat, I can guarantee NO waterspots. You will have water STAIN (which only sits on top of the coating) and NOT etch into the coating. These stains will eventually fade away after being exposed to the sun UV rays and gone by 1-2 weeks. How i know, I bake birb bombs/water stains on my dark blue car for many days before haha.
Old 02-23-15, 02:25 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Glock47
You should post pictures with the reload and glaze!
Opticoat 2.0 > Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze > Reload 2.0

Who said white color can't shine
Old 02-23-15, 02:30 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Old 02-23-15, 04:30 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Haha thanks! I thought it wouldn't harm the coating for some reason. I know the coating is not bullet proof. I'll probably do the Decon in a couple of months.

Don't we get tar buildup from our tires and etc? Yeah it's probably on a need basis. I remember seeing something on my rear bumper but it might be some sort of road grim. Did you have to clay?

So just apply reload after car wash while wet and wipe off? I wonder how opti seal compares. I already have reload tho.

Your car looks amazing!!! Never seen a white car shine like that! You don't don't need to do any more coatings until it wears off!

Noooooo!!! Do NOT Ironx nor tar x right after application!!!

The car should have been decontaminated BEFORE Opticoat application. Right now, all you need is Reload on top of Opticoat.

6 months to 1 year from now, you could use Iron X. If you wash your car weekly/biweekly, your car should not be that contaminated. I used Iron X on my car roughly 8 months after Opticoat and my car turns out very little purple (meaning little contamination). I do not recommend Tar X unless you have so much tar on your car. Since you live in Southern CA like me, I know we have little to no tar lol plus that tar remover can be quite harsh on the coating so no.

If you have Opticoat, I can guarantee NO waterspots. You will have water STAIN (which only sits on top of the coating) and NOT etch into the coating. These stains will eventually fade away after being exposed to the sun UV rays and gone by 1-2 weeks. How i know, I bake birb bombs/water stains on my dark blue car for many days before haha.

Quick Reply: Local detail shop is going to stop using Opti-Coat, deal?