Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Local detail shop is going to stop using Opti-Coat, deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-15, 02:30 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lighter banging on the panel... I tried it myself on a panel on a crappy car that has NO protection. Guess what, all that does is material from the lighter being transferred over to the paint and not scratch. I can then remove most of these material transfer with a quick detailer. This trick has been heavily used by many companies to market it is scratch proof or something lol.

For scratch test, pick up a small rock or sand papers and rub all over. I can guarantee you that no matter what coating, you will have scratches and these are hard and possibly impossible to fix because they can go deep pass the clear coat layer.

Common sense tells you, the clear coat itself is still a very vulnerable thin layer of paint and it can be easily scratched with low grade microfiber towels or even high end microfibers if you rub it dry.

Last edited by FSportIS; 02-25-15 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 03:36 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Lighter banging on the panel... I tried it myself on a panel on a crappy car that has NO protection. Guess what, all that does is material from the lighter being transferred over to the paint and not scratch. I can then remove most of these material transfer with a quick detailer. This trick has been heavily used by many companies to market it is scratch proof or something lol.

For scratch test, pick up a small rock or sand papers and rub all over. I can guarantee you that no matter what coating, you will have scratches and these are hard and possibly impossible to fix because they can go deep pass the clear coat layer.

Common sense tells you, the clear coat itself is still a very vulnerable thin layer of paint and it can be easily scratched with low grade microfiber towels or even high end microfibers if you rub it dry.
Exactly right... again, it is just one big marketing hype to gain the attention vulnerable customers.
Old 02-25-15, 04:25 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's pretty brave of you to do that haha I should experiment that with my ex's car jk haha

I guess if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. No bullet proof coating!

Old 02-25-15, 05:28 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not on my cars obviously!!! Recently I did a bunch of silly tests on a Camry that has never been washed nor detailed in 13 years lol. I figure that since I'm going to do heavy compounding and polishing, why don't I do tons of tests on it anyways. Of course, I did it on a very small area that already has clear coat failure. I have tried all kinds of things you cannot imagine including lacquer thinner to get rid of some crazy stain lol. Don't try it on your car because that thing can remove paint completely as well as melt plastic (yes serious).

Ah, i want to share that undiluted basic APC, acidic water remover, vinegar, salt, undiluted shampoo, IPA, carpro Eraser etc do not remove Opticoat nor Cquartz UK coating. This tell you how strong and durable coating can protect. However, nothing can stand against lacquer thinner lol. It can remove coating, paint and melt plastic easily.

Last edited by FSportIS; 02-25-15 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-26-15, 12:23 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Old 02-26-15, 01:12 AM
GoFast908Z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
BTW - welcome to the forum, Jeff

Always nice to have other pros around
Thanks Zach! I've been a member for a while, but been absent a while too
Old 02-26-15, 01:15 AM
GoFast908Z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. The lighter scratch test is so bogus. The Optimum reps love spouting its amazing resistance to scratching by showing that too... It fools a lot of people unfortunately.

I'd love to see them try it with a classic metal Zippo lighter
Old 02-28-15, 08:47 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Still amazed how clean my car has been. Very light dust! Beading is great. Too bad cars don't come from the factory like this!

Small beads

After the rain