Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Project Swirl Mark Removal and Paint Restoration

Old 01-14-15, 04:03 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Project Swirl Mark Removal and Paint Restoration

As you guys know the black color on my GS has some swirl marks that i would like to remove. Forever. Hopefully. I love the Obsidian, but as we all know the black doesnt look great under the sun with any imperfections. And in Los Angeles we have a lot of sun. So ive been searching for a good detail and wax spot. And i think i found one. Surfside Detailing. And the best part is they come to you. The guy seemed very knowledgeable and they have cool videos showing how they have restored black paint and removed swirl marks on their website. Ofcourse, he didnt tell me a definite price until he sees the vehicle but from what i understood, it will be in the ball park of $200. I think its a good price given whats included in the package.

- Exterior Hand Wash
- Brake dust removed and wheels detailed
- Hi-gloss water based tire dressing applied
- Interior vacuum
- Specialized claybar treatment to decontaminate all painted surfaces and windows
- Machine polishing to remove minor scratches and paint imperfections
- Meguiars #26 carnauba wax applied by orbital machine for shine and months of paint
protection

They will be here this Saturday afternoon. Weather forecast shows 77 degrees, mostly cloudy conditions. I will post before and after photos here.

Last edited by PirelliRC; 01-14-15 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-14-15, 04:05 PM
GS350Dat
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would love to hear the outcome! I too drive an Obsidian! Keep us posted!
Old 01-14-15, 04:09 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Sounds exciting PirelliGS! Looking forward to your before & after photos.

Best of luck with the entire process. Obsidian is such a hard color to maintain, must respect to you guys that have it & keep your car looking nice.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 01-14-15, 04:54 PM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$200 is dirt cheap for that level of correction.
Old 01-14-15, 05:09 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I just finished a 1step polish n wax on my obsidian and wow does it make a difference and it still needs more work prob 2-3 steps I'll post pics later

Edit:
Posted a pic on my ig which is the same username "thekhmer"

Last edited by thekhmer; 01-14-15 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-14-15, 05:39 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
As you guys know the black color on my GS has some swirl marks that i would like to remove. Forever. Hopefully. I love the Obsidian, but as we all know the black doesnt look great under the sun with any imperfections. And in Los Angeles we have a lot of sun. So ive been searching for a good detail and wax spot. And i think i found one. Surfside Detailing. And the best part is they come to you. The guy seemed very knowledgeable and they have cool videos showing how they have restored black paint and removed swirl marks on their website. Ofcourse, he didnt tell me a definite price until he sees the vehicle but from what i understood, it will be in the ball park of $200. I think its a good price given whats included in the package.

- Exterior Hand Wash
- Interior vacuum
- Specialized claybar treatment to decontaminate all painted surfaces and windows
- Meguiars #26 carnauba wax applied by orbital machine for shine and months of paint
protection

They will be here this Saturday afternoon. Weather forecast shows 77 degrees, mostly cloudy conditions. I will post before and after photos here.
That sounds great I also think that sounds pretty cheap but I'm sure it will be excellent work as price doesnt justify anything so post some pics when its finished.
Old 01-14-15, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I'm dubious about the price...I'll be interested to see whether they increase that price or not when they see it. To do it right you're looking at a minimum of 4-5 hours work.

The key is "minor scratches and paint imperfections". If you have significant swirling it may fall outside the scope of that. A lot of detailers charge per hour for compounding which it sounds like it may need.

Also FYI, Meguiars #26 is a very middle of the road ho-hum wax. It does the job but it will absolutely not offer "months of paint protection". In Los Angeles, more like weeks.
Old 01-14-15, 05:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Surfside Detailing in Newport Beach, CA?

This is from their website:

Cars $225 & SUVs $275

Removes light scratches, marring, and swirls left by improper washing
techniques. We first wash the vehicle and perform a full claybar treatment
to remove bonded contaminants on the paint. After the claybar treatment
we machine polish and wax using a Meguiars one step product that
restores the clarity and shine to your paint.
An all in one product is not going to handle your swirling, if its significant as it seemed to be in our previous conversations.

This is the service at a minimum you will need:

Cars $425 & SUVs $475

Removes moderate scratches, marring, and swirls that the one step polish
is not capable of. After we wash and claybar thevehicle, we use our 2 step
polishing system to restore the paintwork.

Estimated time- 4+ hours
You may need this:

Three step machine polish and wax- (Full Paint Correction)

By Estimate
Final pricing determined upon pre-inspection and size of the vehicle

This is complete paint correction where we remove up to 100% of all paint
defects including bird etchings, scratches, swirl marks, water spots and
more. After we wash and claybar the vehicle, we use the Meguiars
Professional 3 step polishing system to bring back your vehicle's shine.
First step is buffing the vehicle with a rotary buffer and semi-aggressive
polish to level the clear coat and remove the major defects and swirls.
Second step is to buff with a less-agressive polish to remove any haze,
holograms or swirls left after the initial buffing. Third step is we use a
random orbital polisher to remove any remaining holograms or swirl marks
which leaves the paintwork ready for waxing or sealing. Lastly, we apply a
coat of carnauba wax for long lasting paint protection. We have saved
client's thousands of dollars who thought repainting their car was the only
way their vehicle would look NEW again.

Estimated time- 5+ hours
Old 01-14-15, 07:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

And just so you know - most any car's finish can be made to look great after just a minimum amount of detailing work by using most any wax or glaze to fill-in [remaining] swirls and scratches. (This is likely what the dealership did to make the finish look good, which lasts one or two washes.) Thus, just because the finish looks good when the detailer finishes does not necessarily mean that he spent the time and used the materials necessary to permanently remove the swirls and scratches. It's easy to create a temporary illusion that the finish does not have any swirls or scratches.
Old 01-14-15, 08:36 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Just do it urself, it's a good workout.

When u detail ur car urself u get to know ur car personally and bond with it. At least that's how I feel.

After that last incident where a car wash guy slit my tire I felt guilty as hell that I let something that horrible happened to this car and won't let anyone else detail it but me!
Old 01-14-15, 08:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The problem with doing this yourself is you need a buffer, pads, the proper compounds...and skill. The machine polishing is the issue.
Old 01-14-15, 09:06 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use WaterShed in Simi Valley, they do an awesome job and have excellent pricing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Water...e/348182865103
Old 01-14-15, 09:56 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Sounds exciting PirelliGS! Looking forward to your before & after photos.

Best of luck with the entire process. Obsidian is such a hard color to maintain, must respect to you guys that have it & keep your car looking nice.

~ Im2bz2p345
thanks, you have a 450h right ?

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Surfside Detailing in Newport Beach, CA?

This is from their website:

An all in one product is not going to handle your swirling, if its significant as it seemed to be in our previous conversations.

This is the service at a minimum you will need:

Cars $425 & SUVs $475

Removes moderate scratches, marring, and swirls that the one step polish
is not capable of. After we wash and claybar thevehicle, we use our 2 step
polishing system to restore the paintwork.

Estimated time- 4+ hours
I did see that and if i end up needing it, ill try to get the best price i can. There is a photo of a Black Lexus IS and it looks real good under the flashlight and sun. The guy told me that Lexus paint is soft so it gets scratched easily, however he said it gets buffed out easily as well, which i liked hearing. So ill see when they stop by on Saturday and i will put up photos.

What do you know about Meguiars Swirl X or Swirl Remover 2.0 ? I bought them a month ago.

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Just do it urself, it's a good workout.

When u detail ur car urself u get to know ur car personally and bond with it. At least that's how I feel.

After that last incident where a car wash guy slit my tire I felt guilty as hell that I let something that horrible happened to this car and won't let anyone else detail it but me!
I do not really have the time and i have no experience and dont want to make a mess. I rather pay someone to do it professionally. Maybe if i gain some experience i might try it, but as of now i want the swirls out asap.

Originally Posted by Dustin2011
I use WaterShed in Simi Valley, they do an awesome job and have excellent pricing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Water...e/348182865103
thanks, ill give them a call tomorrow. The black Camaro on their facebook looks great, have you done swirl removal with them ?

Last edited by PirelliRC; 01-14-15 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-14-15, 10:58 PM
DeViNe350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS

- Exterior Hand Wash
- Interior vacuum
protection

Check out Eric @ Envious Detailing in Santa Ana, I hear he's great. I'm planning to take my car there sometime soon. I hear nothing but good things.
Old 01-15-15, 05:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This really isn't something where you want to save money, a detailer can really screw up the car, and since its been potentially polished twice already, another go could be the last time.

Lexus black is soft and polishes out well. But, it's finicky to finish right.

My point is, if somebody is recommended and you feel confident in their work, I wouldn't try and haggle with them about price. You want them to put all their effort and energy I to it, not do it while frustrated about the price they are doing it for, or refuse. Good Detailers aren't going to negotiate their prices.

The Meg's swirl removers are fine. The actual compound product doesn't really matter, what matters is the skill and tools of the person using them. Detailing is 90% effort, 10% product

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Swirl Mark Removal and Paint Restoration