Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ultra White paint stains

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 06:19 PM
EdsFsport
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultra White paint stains

I’ve owned my 2015 Lexus GS -350 F sport in Ultra-White for 3 weeks.
It rained in Southern California over weekend…1/10 and 1/11/15.
I drove car in the rain.
Today, Monday 1/12/15, I took the car to the carwash. When it was clean I noticed 2 brownish stains down the side below the fuel door.
I tried to polish them out but to no avail. I don’t believe I spilled gas or anything else on the car and I am quite concerned that this paint has stained so easily.
Is anyone else having similar staining problems with their Ultra-White cars?
Old 01-12-15, 09:35 PM
kr0nic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EdsFsport
I drove car in the rain.
Today, Monday 1/12/15, I took the car to the carwash. When it was clean I noticed 2 brownish stains down the side below the fuel door.
I tried to polish them out but to no avail. I don’t believe I spilled gas or anything else on the car and I am quite concerned that this paint has stained so easily.
Get used to it buddy. I have the same problem w my ultra white. I keep a can of spray detail or spray wax and usually go over any spots after car washes. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
MOB561 (10-07-20)
Old 01-12-15, 09:56 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kr0nic
Get used to it buddy. I have the same problem w my ultra white. I keep a can of spray detail or spray wax and usually go over any spots after car washes. Hope this helps.
what ? why ? whats causing the spots ?
Old 01-12-15, 10:38 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

mine doesnt have spots (yet) but I gotta admit, this baby gets super dirty super quick. I dont know why but it collects copious amounts of dirt in the areas between the doors and the area between the trunk.
Miss my Starfire Pearl!

MEAHT
MOB561 (10-07-20)
Old 01-12-15, 10:48 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I think the new IS in white has the same problem. This is one of the reasons I didn't get white, it stains especially if u use tire dressings and it splash all over the body. Silver cars get stains too but u can't really see it compared to white.
MOB561 (10-07-20)
Old 01-13-15, 03:26 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I drove car in the rain.
Originally Posted by kr0nic
Yep I had the same issue when the shop I go to was installing my exhaust the grease they left was there for a while and was pretty hard to get off. I use hydro car pro 2 to help that from happening also you can try sonax netshield after a wash to help protect it.
MOB561 (10-07-20)
Old 01-13-15, 06:28 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I know you said you don't think you spilled any gas but If you're only noticing it below the fuel door to me it sounds like some fuel dripped there. Very easy to do without noticing and even a little after it dries will leave a brownish stain.

Try some cleaner wax first, if that doesn't work try some light abrasive compound like Megs 205. Whatever you use, when you're done just make sure you wax / polish over it so it's protected.

Last edited by JT4; 01-13-15 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-13-15, 06:56 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

The best product I have ever used for extremely stubborn stains is Mother's clay bar. Spray the instant detailer on and rub the clay bar over the stain. Stain is gone and the paint feels like glass. Then followup with wax.
Old 01-13-15, 07:21 AM
EdsFsport
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I'll pick up a couple of these products and get back to you with the results, hopefully positive.
Old 01-13-15, 07:51 AM
Joe166
Rookie

I have a 2015 GS350 FSport, the same model, same color, same length of time and same problem. I like to wash my own cars (whenever I have time) since it is by far the best way to keep track of minor chips, stains and any other damage.

My wife has a 2014 GS 350 which is quite similar but in the Starfire Pearl color. Right now, due to some work being done on the house both cars are outside all the time. We have a huge Oak tree over the driveway. For obvious reasons there are LOTS of leaves and other debris on the cars all the time. I am not sure there is anything that is more likely to stain a light colored car than oak debris.

I have found that a good car wash like Meguiars (any one) to be pretty good at removing those brown stains. If the car has a fresh (1 or 2 months) coat of polymer "wax" on it. The few stains that remain have always been easy to remove with a detailer spray. if you let it stand for a few days, you might have to take a quick pass with a cleaner wax or clay bar.

Incidentally, since the cars are parked right next to each other in the driveway, I can state with certainty that there is NO difference in the stainability of the Ultra White and the Starfire Pearl. If there is any difference in the cars it relates to the freshness of the wax job on it. I always try to put a fresh coat on the horizontal surfaces every couple of weeks since that is where the leaves and squirrel debris seems to land and set. That doesn't take very long with the modern polymers. Meguiars has a very nice "wax" for white cars that I like, but any modern wax works very well.
MOB561 (10-07-20)
Old 01-14-15, 08:52 AM
EdsFsport
Driver School Candidate

Yesterday afternoon, I took my car to a professional detailer that my brother (who is in the car business) recommended. At first he tried to polish it out with a cloth but that didn't work.
Then he used a buffer, a little stronger polish, and that took care of the problem, no more stain. I've learned my lesson to be extra careful at the gas station, and if I accidentally get any gas drips after filling up, I'll wipe them off immediately.
Back to enjoying my new F-Sport and again thanks to all of you for your helpful comments.
MOB561 (10-07-20)
Old 01-14-15, 08:57 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Yesterday afternoon, I took my car to a professional detailer that my brother (who is in the car business) recommended. At first he tried to polish it out with a cloth but that didn't work.
Then he used a buffer, a little stronger polish, and that took care of the problem, no more stain. I've learned my lesson to be extra careful at the gas station, and if I accidentally get any gas drips after filling up, I'll wipe them off immediately.
Back to enjoying my new F-Sport and again thanks to all of you for your helpful comments.
Great!!! Glad it worked out for you..
Old 01-14-15, 04:21 PM
GS350Dat
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What i do at the gas station when filling up, I grab a paper towel they have outside and when done fueling i grab the nozzle with the paper towel and put it back!
MOB561 (10-07-20)
Old 01-14-15, 04:32 PM
EdsFsport
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, that's a great idea.
Old 01-15-15, 12:45 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

It would help if you wash this area too when you wash your car. Even without the gas drops, this area does get dusty fast. I usually use a wet towel and clean this area when I wash my car.
Originally Posted by GS350Dat
What i do at the gas station when filling up, I grab a paper towel they have outside and when done fueling i grab the nozzle with the paper towel and put it back!
It may sound funny but I always shake it a little bit before I pull it out and have my other hand under the nozzle ready to catch any last drop. Of course when I get back in my car, there's a hand sanitizer bottle waiting for me.
MOB561 (10-07-20)

Quick Reply: Ultra White paint stains