Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What kind of non slinging tire shine to use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-15, 09:00 PM
tirengolf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

McQuires Natural Shine, Not shiny gives the tire a real natural rubber look, everyone likes different looks, try a bottle I think you will be very surprised with the look.
Old 02-23-15, 02:59 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tirengolf
McQuires Natural Shine, Not shiny gives the tire a real natural rubber look, everyone likes different looks, try a bottle I think you will be very surprised with the look.
Of all the butcherings of "Meguiar's" I've ever seen, that one has to be the best.
Old 02-23-15, 04:58 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't use those because they are silicon based, if you ever deep clean the tire, you will see how much junk those silicon based product do to your tires. They attract dust/dirt easily and when you re-apply you add another layer and then attract more dust/dirt and then you apply another layer, you are essentially adding layers and layers of dirts/grime/junk onto your tires.

Use the water based product such as Carpro Perl, Tuff Tire Shine, Blackfire Tire Gel etc
Old 02-25-15, 09:30 AM
rustyd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blackfire Tire Gel is the Bomb. Croftgate Tire shine is also very good and can also be used your wheels.
Old 02-26-15, 12:26 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Opti-bond! I'm going to try Perl soon and then tuf tire!
Old 02-26-15, 07:37 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

try wiping the excess tire shine/gel etc. off after you apply it. you may be using too much.
Old 02-26-15, 07:57 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
try wiping the excess tire shine/gel etc. off after you apply it. you may be using too much.
^very important! great advice.

I always advise apply tire shine as thin as possible and adding multiple coats if needed. In any event, wait at least 30 minutes before driving, and always lightly wipe each tire to remove any excess product prior to driving. Regardless of if it is a water based dressing or silicone based dressing, if there is excess product on the face, it will sling.

I used to use Meguiar's Endurance Gel on my tires because I was addicted to the shine of the silicone formula, but I never had any issues with slinging because I would apply thin, and wipe off excess. I also always let the dressing sit overnight before driving.

I have since stopped using any silicone based tire dressings as I have found CarPro PERL to have a similar level of shine, but the water based formula is much nicer for many reasons.

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 02-26-15 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 11:21 AM
jv6792
Rookie

i too have used many many tire shines, (consumer and professional products) and i even have a chemist friend who makes them to my liking. The best thing to do to avoid sling with any product is to do what Zach said. Let the car sit for at least 30min before driving. Works for me. And i always saturate my tires with product.
Old 03-02-15, 02:42 AM
tirengolf
Driver School Candidate

Pond Scum, Thanks for the correction, that is funny. Wow, I missed that one a mile. You guys have a good week.
Old 03-02-15, 09:19 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4

I used to use Meguiar's Endurance Gel on my tires because I was addicted to the shine of the silicone formula, but I never had any issues with slinging because I would apply thin, and wipe off excess. I also always let the dressing sit overnight before driving.

I have since stopped using any silicone based tire dressings as I have found CarPro PERL to have a similar level of shine, but the water based formula is much nicer for many reasons.

-Zach
Haha, we have a very similar path lol. I used to like silicon based Meg Endurance Gel. Until I tried Tuf Tire Shine Coating (water based), I see many benefits of water based product. Also, Tuf Tire Shine lasts the longest (i believe it is permanently bond to the tire) comparing to many other products out there. I'm using Tuf Tire Shine exclusively for now. I have also tried OptiBond, Blackfire Tire Gel, they seem good but last only few weeks in rainy CA weather. Tuf Tire Shine, on the other hand, lasts months and still going strong in harsh CA sunny and rainy weather.
Old 03-02-15, 02:14 PM
jv6792
Rookie

im thinking of giving tuf shine a try.. not for the water based shine cuz i could care less about water based solutions, but just for the purpose of cleaning the tire. I like silicone based stuff. Gives me the wet shine i like for much much cheaper than water based.
Old 03-02-15, 02:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

You can make your tires very shiny with multiple applications of Tuf Shine.

I drove my car through water puddles over the weekend (rained here in socal). Once the weather dried up, my tires looked a bit dull, kind of like most tire shine after a week. I thought the coating wore off when it fact it was just dirty from driving in the rain. Gave it a quick wash with car wash soap, and now it's back to its original shine. Mind, you I applied this months ago!
Old 03-02-15, 04:36 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jv6792
im thinking of giving tuf shine a try.. not for the water based shine cuz i could care less about water based solutions, but just for the purpose of cleaning the tire. I like silicone based stuff. Gives me the wet shine i like for much much cheaper than water based.
You should! I have tried many, many from crappy ones to expensive ones over the years. In my experience, Tuf Tire Shine is one of the best out there.

You can control the level of shine by the number of layers. It is permanently bonded to the tire and this shine will last and last and last for a super long times (I'm talking about months, not weeks, not days, not hours) and it can survive harsh weather in the sun, in the rain, in the mud... A car wash will restore its original shine. Also, it is clean and dry to touch so no slinging whatsoever.

Price wise, yes, it is more expensive than many others but don't be fooled by it. Your time is also money, with this, you only apply it once and that is it. With others, you will have to do it every car wash weekly or bi-weekly to get that shine.

I think I'm not the only one who likes it so damn much. GSteg, and even the pro Zach would probably like it as much as I do.
Old 03-02-15, 04:39 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jv6792
I forgot to mention one more thing. Once you start really deep cleaning your tires before applying Tuf Tire Shine which is required, you WILL see all the junks and all the nasty stuff silicon based products did to your tires during the cleaning process. Don't take my words for it, do the actual experience and you will know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-02-15, 04:41 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
You can make your tires very shiny with multiple applications of Tuf Shine.

I drove my car through water puddles over the weekend (rained here in socal). Once the weather dried up, my tires looked a bit dull, kind of like most tire shine after a week. I thought the coating wore off when it fact it was just dirty from driving in the rain. Gave it a quick wash with car wash soap, and now it's back to its original shine. Mind, you I applied this months ago!
I share the same experience! Tuf Tire Shine has been on for more almost 3 months now and still going strong.

Quick Reply: What kind of non slinging tire shine to use?